The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

kilroy07

Legendary member
So awesome to see you've made the transition from 2-3 planes per trip to the field, to 2-3 batteries! ;)

Your flying looks a lot smoother now and I'll ask YOU why you think that is.... I found that I was pretty heavy handed just tossing the models around the air in the beginning. Then once I learned to relax a bit and just let the darn thing fly I had much better luck.

The thing about just learning to do standard circuits is soon you'll start "flying the plane" rather than reacting to it.
Start by practicing landings, reduce throttle and just watch the sink rate. Then give it more throttle, circle around and do it again... Start nudging it closer and closer to you or a point you pick on the ground to land at. Try to get her to touch down right at the point you pick (don't forget to account for the final flare...) then you'll be really flying the plane and not have to walk as far as a bonus!
And always, if you're too high/fast add throttle and go around!

If you want to postpone the corsair build until next month, that's fine by me, as I said I've got my own edge to build and your videos are making me itching to get at it! ;)

mayan

Legendary member
So awesome to see you've made the transition from 2-3 planes per trip to the field, to 2-3 batteries! ;)

Your flying looks a lot smoother now and I'll ask YOU why you think that is.... I found that I was pretty heavy handed just tossing the models around the air in the beginning. Then once I learned to relax a bit and just let the darn thing fly I had much better luck.

The thing about just learning to do standard circuits is soon you'll start "flying the plane" rather than reacting to it.
Start by practicing landings, reduce throttle and just watch the sink rate. Then give it more throttle, circle around and do it again... Start nudging it closer and closer to you or a point you pick on the ground to land at. Try to get her to touch down right at the point you pick (don't forget to account for the final flare...) then you'll be really flying the plane and not have to walk as far as a bonus!
And always, if you're too high/fast add throttle and go around!

If you want to postpone the corsair build until next month, that's fine by me, as I said I've got my own edge to build and your videos are making me itching to get at it! ;)
Check this out.

You have to build the Edge, it's a fun plane. When are you coming back from FF?

kilroy07

Legendary member
When are you coming back from FF?
FF is July 11-14th. So we can start the Corsair build right after that if you want... I'm just at a point where I have to start focusing or a couple projects I really want to take there are not going to get finished.

I sent off the PO claim today, so soon, we'll see about a couple new kits for you and Buzz, I'm kinda digging the spitfire idea...
But that will have to wait until August! (for the build, I've have kits out before then) :LOL:

mayan

Legendary member
FF is July 11-14th. So we can start the Corsair build right after that if you want... I'm just at a point where I have to start focusing or a couple projects I really want to take there are not going to get finished.

I sent off the PO claim today, so soon, we'll see about a couple new kits for you and Buzz, I'm kinda digging the spitfire idea...
But that will have to wait until August! (for the build, I've have kits out before then) :LOL:
Corsair after FF sounds good to me :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow! Seems like I need to check in on you here more often. I been watchin the progress with the kids more.

Well done mate. You have far surpassed anything I have been able to do with fixed wing.

Just watched the edge videos nice n smooth. Ill agree with others. You should talk about what you are doing and what you want to do when you film. While you are flying if its not too distracting or like a vlog at some point between clips.

Again great progress!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am so very happy with my sucess today at the field. I didn't have much time so I went with the repaired Mini Edge only. I flew 2.5 batteries on it, with some field repairs :). I didn't do any 3D flying or aerobatics but rather flew leveled circuits around the field, trying to take @Hai-Lee advice. I feel that if you are able to control the plane enough to do simple leveled circuits around the field you basically know to control the plane, then very thing else will come easy.

I have two video this time one full length of 2.5 batteries unedited for those who want to feel what I have exprienced and a short video with some highlight shots.

Highlights Video

Unedited Video

Friends (@Arcfyre, @Hai-Lee, @kilroy07, @buzzbomb, @sundown57, @rockyboy, @CarolineTyler, @daxian, @Grifflyer, @PsyBorg, @Wildthing, @FDS, @FoamyDM, @CapnBry, @bracesport, @thenated0g) please let me know what you think about my current flying with the Mini Edge. All inputs are welcome I want to get better at flying this model :).
Mayan, you are all but inspiring me to want to fly an Edge, myself! (I'm just scared of it. ;)) That was some beautifully controlled flying for such a touchy plane. Just beautiful.

mayan

Legendary member
Hi @mayan I agree with everyone here, you are doing great. I am just catching up on the forum today. It was suppose to rain again today but now its not so I might get out to fly today:). I am enjoying your videos, they do make me want to get out more. Got to charge my batteries now.
Thanks, you should get out more too :).

mayan

Legendary member
This morning I went to the field, and took the Mini Scout, Simple Scout and Mini Edge. I started with the Mini Scout which last time didn't fly well at all. I didn't get to find out if it flys better because I lost a wheel in mid air (which I didn't find), and when I can in for a landing the plane completely broke :(.

F70B01BE-92D3-4DE6-8577-0A7E148B6047.jpeg

60F8A7DA-6241-4175-9DE8-C27CEA5D2BCC.jpeg

662B9999-3CE5-4AEE-9465-5A2014C08B58.jpeg

Didn’t have how to fix it at the field so I put it in the car. Oh well had it’s big brother in the car so the Simple Scout came out ;). I had some great take offs with it, but didn’t quite manage to line up for the landings. One time I even almost killed myself, and no I am not kidding. The plane came right at me ;(. Had a good time with it until it broke a wheel and couldn’t fix it. Why? Because I forgot to take hot glue sticks for my small hot glue gun. @bracesport talking about forgetting things at home :(. I don’t have all this on video because the my go pro battery died out :( but I do have some.

To finish the day I pulled out the Mini Edge and flew it until I had an LOS issue which made me decide that it’s time for a new air frame, more about that here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-edge-540-build.57470/page-4. Tip from me about this experience is don’t be afraid to repair it usually only makes it fly better :).

I need to find a better runway to practice take offs and landings on because the tree and high weeds next to my current one make it hard for me to line up for a landing. Already got the Simple Scout repaired for tomorrow :), good night.

@Arcfyre I told you I’m on it :).

FDS

Elite member
I make the ends of my undercarriage about 10mm longer than the wheel width, then use a plastic zip tie and a dab of UHU or hot glue for my wheel collar. No more lost wheels.
There was a great video here on landing techniques a while ago, this one, from Michael Wargo. It helped me improve.

basslord1124

Master member
I'm with @FDS (agreeing with him again!) on the zip tie approach for your wheels. Just a plain old glue glob didn't work for me, wheels kept falling off. At a bare minimum I'd use the zip tie/glue option if you can't get the usual wheel collars.

I actually got wheel collars for my FT Simple Cub. The only FT plane I've got now that has them. I don't do landing gear like I use to as I'm trying to dabble more with hand launching.

mayan

Legendary member
I make the ends of my undercarriage about 10mm longer than the wheel width, then use a plastic zip tie and a dab of UHU or hot glue for my wheel collar. No more lost wheels.
There was a great video here on landing techniques a while ago, this one, from Michael Wargo. It helped me improve.
Great video! Why didn't you post it before I went practicing today :(, I could have used his tips in today's practice.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
It was posted by someone else a month or so ago, right around the time you started messing with undercarriage and landing.