The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

basslord1124

Master member
Gotcha...thanks for the clarification @Hai-Lee . So it sort of acts as tough surface to keep it from moving while glue is drying. It kinda has a little bit of a sticky surface to it too. Not sure if I will use it or not. Guess we will see.

Cool video @mayan ...Corsair flew very nice! New wing looks good too.

mayan

Legendary member
Went out to the field today which has been mowed, leaving big chunks of dirts laying around which don’t make for nice landings :(.

6F99C489-4381-472F-AFFC-721EE7F1AAE6.jpeg

Anyways I went out with one main goal in mind to maiden my new KFM Wing! And I did just that :). It was windier than what I would want to for any other plane I have but for the KFM Wing it was fine running a C Pack motor. So here is a VLOG I hooked up right before going on a 3 day camping trip with the family. Hope you enjoy.

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - loving the KFM - so many build options! I read the other day that you would be keen to make flying your job - I am sure that if you believe it you can make it a reality or at least get close - why don't you form a club, find a field, teach flying, and build planes for selling to people who just want to fly! :p

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As the motor mount area is causing you an issue do you have the ability to shorten the "Tongue" and bring the motor further forward?

In my versions I use a funfighter motor with a Kv of 1900 to 2200 driving a 6 x 4.5 prop or similar. On the latest version I am using a 1900Kv motor driving a 5 x 5 x 3 prop with the motor pulled further forward!

Just waiting on the customer to supply the required Flight stabilizer, (His requirement), so I can arrange things for the best balance!

Have fun!

Jimun

Elite member
Went out to the field today which has been mowed, leaving big chunks of dirts laying around which don’t make for nice landings :(.

View attachment 140287

Anyways I went out with one main goal in mind to maiden my new KFM Wing! And I did just that :). It was windier than what I would want to for any other plane I have but for the KFM Wing it was fine running a C Pack motor. So here is a VLOG I hooked up right before going on a 3 day camping trip with the family. Hope you enjoy.

Great Job @mayan Have a great weekend camping.

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - loving the KFM - so many build options! I read the other day that you would be keen to make flying your job - I am sure that if you believe it you can make it a reality or at least get close - why don't you form a club, find a field, teach flying, and build planes for selling to people who just want to fly! :p
If only life was that easy ;).

mayan

Legendary member
As the motor mount area is causing you an issue do you have the ability to shorten the "Tongue" and bring the motor further forward?

In my versions I use a funfighter motor with a Kv of 1900 to 2200 driving a 6 x 4.5 prop or similar. On the latest version I am using a 1900Kv motor driving a 5 x 5 x 3 prop with the motor pulled further forward!

Just waiting on the customer to supply the required Flight stabilizer, (His requirement), so I can arrange things for the best balance!

Have fun!
I actually already cut it 1cm shorter than the short mark you had on the plans that’s how I managed to balance it with smaller batteries ;).

You can see clearly where the break points are for me. It breaks from back to front, last time it ripped right on the border of the balsa wood piece I had on the bottom. This time it ripped on the border of where I had the carbon fiber strips placed. Technically what I would recommend to do to avoid that is make a net of carbon fiber strips from tip to tip crossing over each other like so.

595C70A1-3D12-498F-BE42-54EEDE5BEBF7.jpeg

The weight wouldn’t be to much but the durability it would get is tremendous.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
On my latest build I removed twice the length shown on the plans. I used gorilla glue and of course I use a harder and heavier FB than the DTFB.

You can try the CF but so far the more rigid FB is more than strong enough.

Mind you I did fit a hidden CF spar into the middle layer in case the owner decides to cut slots in the wing to fit additional Velcro straps in the future.

From the picture of where the Wing failed I noticed that the paper lifted and then the foam failed/broke allowing the motor mount to detach. If the foamboard itself is weak then you could use a few skewers buried in the centre layer going from the motor mount forward into the meat of the wing. In addition something to support the triangular brace pieces from acting as a pivot point for any forces trying to push the motor forward, (during a crash).

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Friends I need your help! I know how to build and fly RC planes but for some reason I can’t get a freaking kite in the air. Any tips and ideas?
it depends on what sort or design of kite. As a standard though it is good to have a weight or tail for drag to hold the kite pointing upwards or into the wind. Then if it refuses to fly play with the connection point towards the nose if the kite wants to invert and dive or towards the tail if it just drops its nose and heads down/towards you!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the tips @Hai-Lee I feel kind of embarrassed that I can’t get a kite up in the air :). My wife can’t stop laughing at me trying and failing :).

Corbarrad

I actually already cut it 1cm shorter than the short mark you had on the plans that’s how I managed to balance it with smaller batteries ;).

You can see clearly where the break points are for me. It breaks from back to front, last time it ripped right on the border of the balsa wood piece I had on the bottom. This time it ripped on the border of where I had the carbon fiber strips placed. Technically what I would recommend to do to avoid that is make a net of carbon fiber strips from tip to tip crossing over each other like so.

View attachment 140308

The weight wouldn’t be to much but the durability it would get is tremendous.

Oh wow. I think it might be easier to grab some lightweight glass fiber cloth and resin and just laminate the outside at that point

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so I am back from a 3 day camping trip that turned in to a 4 day trip with the family. Here are some pictures.

Rosh HaNikra grottoes view to sea side. Marked in red is where we were camping.
IMG-3200.JPG

Inside the grottoes
IMG-3213.JPG

The shortest but with the steepest in the world with a 60-degree gradient.

The the area is a closed millatry zone as it borders with Lebanon through the sea and is protected by IDF vessel 24/7 365. So when two mid 20's guys try to dive in the area this is what happens.

Taking @Hai-Lee 's tips and a lot of messing around we got the kites to fly after all and had a good time doing so, so much that my daughter asked when we can go flying kites again :).
e11a5708-d91f-4173-b441-ef31a640dbbf.JPG

b5bf1b24-71c5-4b2a-9a74-7f4b2a531bf9.JPG

IMG-3242.JPG

IMG-3240.JPG

Now that I am back I need to start building my Spitfire for the August co-op build before the month is over or at least start it, but first I have to decorate my fixed KFM wing :).

EDIT: BTW I recommend every one to go fly a kite, there is just so much you can learn from it; at least I did :)

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
Alright so I am back from a 3 day camping trip that turned in to a 4 day trip with the family. Here are some pictures.

Rosh HaNikra grottoes view to sea side. Marked in red is where we were camping.
View attachment 140582

Inside the grottoes
View attachment 140583

The shortest but with the steepest in the world with a 60-degree gradient.

The the area is a closed millatry zone as it borders with Lebanon through the sea and is protected by IDF vessel 24/7 365. So when two mid 20's guys try to dive in the area this is what happens.

Taking @Hai-Lee 's tips and a lot of messing around we got the kites to fly after all and had a good time doing so, so much that my daughter asked when we can go flying kites again :).
View attachment 140584
View attachment 140585
View attachment 140586
View attachment 140587

Now that I am back I need to start building my Spitfire for the August co-op build before the month is over or at least start it, but first I have to decorate my fixed KFM wing :).

EDIT: BTW I recommend every one to go fly a kite, there is just so much you can learn from it; at least I did :)
It looks like beautiful place to get away. I am glad you had a good time with your family.

mayan

Legendary member
It looks like beautiful place to get away. I am glad you had a good time with your family.
4 days with no phone or planes (well expect for the kites :)), you bet I did. 4 days of digging pools with the kids and a pretty severe sun burn :). I am pretty sure that even my brain is sun burn too :).

Alright so I finished decorating my fixed KFM Wing, gave it a Michael Jackson black and white look :).

Bottom view.
0C31E072-827F-464C-813F-4D3C05FF0357.jpeg

Top view.
3C969A2C-FFDC-4278-A3BC-F5D3936BE242.jpeg

What you all think :)? I kinda messed up and wanted the decals the other way around wing right wing on both sides instead of left.

mayan

Legendary member