The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member

basslord1124

Master member
Catching back up again...looks like you all had a fun time with family/kids. That place looks amazing...love the cave.

I hear ya on the Spitfire...mine's gonna end up being a September build.

Just did a little bit of reading on the FTFC20 thing and your entry....looks awesome!

mayan

Legendary member
Catching back up again...looks like you all had a fun time with family/kids. That place looks amazing...love the cave.

I hear ya on the Spitfire...mine's gonna end up being a September build.

Just did a little bit of reading on the FTFC20 thing and your entry....looks awesome!
Thanks!

mayan

Legendary member
Went flying today too, too much to say to write a long post so I’ll keep it short.

• Today I flew the KFM Wing and Masters Series Corsair. Both came home in one piece :).
  • Got a lot of videos to edit so those will follow on the next few days.
  • Tried building the tail boom of the Howard DGA-6 with limited success. More about that on it’s dedicated FTFC20 thread probably tomorrow night.
  • Tomorrow is the last chance I get to start the Spitfire on August, so it’s packed up and ready to go to work tomorrow.
That’s it for tonight folks.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Went flying today too, too much to say to write a long post so I’ll keep it short.

• Today I flew the KFM Wing and Masters Series Corsair. Both came home in one piece :).
  • Tried building the tail boom of the Howard DGA-6 with limited success. More about that on it’s dedicated FTFC20 thread probably tomorrow night.
  • Tomorrow is the last chance I get to start the Spitfire on August, so it’s packed up and ready to go to work tomorrow.
Have you done the balance setup test yet? It gets the balance and handling just right!

Procedure: At height, reduce throttle to zero and maintain level, (Glide), using the elevator function until the elevator input is at maximum. Maintain roll control using aileron inputs of course.

If at full up the wing wanders from side to side in direction or even drops a wing and dives the wing has its CG too far aft! If the wing starts to bounce up and down in pitch then the wing has its CG too far forward. (A tiny head nod is ok).

When setup properly you should be able to cut the throttle and feed in up until the up is full and it will just glide down at a very steep angle, (glide or parachute?), and then pancake onto the ground. This is the lowest speed landing possible at your current weight unless of course you do it into the wind!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Have you done the balance setup test yet? It gets the balance and handling just right!

Procedure: At height, reduce throttle to zero and maintain level, (Glide), using the elevator function until the elevator input is at maximum. Maintain roll control using aileron inputs of course.

If at full up the wing wanders from side to side in direction or even drops a wing and dives the wing has its CG too far aft! If the wing starts to bounce up and down in pitch then the wing has its CG too far forward. (A tiny head nod is ok).

When setup properly you should be able to cut the throttle and feed in up until the up is full and it will just glide down at a very steep angle, (glide or parachute?), and then pancake onto the ground. This is the lowest speed landing possible at your current weight unless of course you do it into the wind!

Have fun!
It seemed to be fine after playing with it a bit.

mayan

Legendary member
Went out flying today, took the KFM Wing which flew amazing expect towards the end :( and the Storch which I decided to let it RIP. The airframe is still repairable but rather strip it of its electronics on finish/start a few builds with it :).

More to come tomorrow ;)...
Finished editing and exporting the VLOG video for this outing, managed to get some nice footage :).

Will be live in +-6 mins, hope you enjoy it.

Will try to edit the footage for the outing of the 30th tomorrow.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Finished editing and exporting the VLOG video for this outing, managed to get some nice footage :).

Will be live in +-6 mins, hope you enjoy it.

Will try to edit the footage for the outing of the 30th tomorrow.
Your video editing skills have improved on par with your flying skills! Nice vid! All I really do is chop off the start and/or finish and attach a couple different vids together. You've gone way beyond that!

Your wing looked like it was an absolute handful to fly. If it's as touchy as it looked in the video, you did pretty darn good! That's not a plane I want to fly anytime soon! ;)

What happened with the Storch? Were you just having a bad day? (I've had those bad-flying days. They suck a$$.) Regardless, that was a pretty darn good video. Thank you for "Vlogging." :)

mayan

Legendary member
Your video editing skills have improved on par with your flying skills! Nice vid! All I really do is chop off the start and/or finish and attach a couple different vids together. You've gone way beyond that!

Your wing looked like it was an absolute handful to fly. If it's as touchy as it looked in the video, you did pretty darn good! That's not a plane I want to fly anytime soon! ;)

What happened with the Storch? Were you just having a bad day? (I've had those bad-flying days. They suck a$$.) Regardless, that was a pretty darn good video. Thank you for "Vlogging." :)
The landing gear kept falling off and it was too windy.

@mayan - I look forward each week to your flight videos - the wing went well (especially the snap roll) - for the Storch, I think after attempt 6 I would have hand launched it! :D
Thanks happy to hear that. I wanted to hand launch it at some point but let it go because that plane really deserves to be taking off from the ground :).

mayan

Legendary member
Hey friends I don't seem to find much energy to write a lot of informative posts lately. Hope it’s just something that will pass soon, so this post will also be short too.

I got to the edit the VLOG for this outing, it’s a bit long but has some great music in it and me talking quite a bit :). Hope you enjoy it. Please do give me your comments about the video. What you liked? What can be improved? What you want to see more off and what less? :)

Today I also went out to the field and flew the KFM Wing again, I really am enjoying it so flew three batteries on it :). I also maidened my FT Spitfire for the August Spitfire co-op build went great and flew prefect just like I’d expect it too. I do think I might have been under powered because of a calibration issue but didn’t have energy to start calibrating at the field. Videos will follow when I find time to edit the footage.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hey friends I don't seem to find much energy to write a lot of informative posts lately. Hope it’s just something that will pass soon, so this post will also be short too.

I got to the edit the VLOG for this outing, it’s a bit long but has some great music in it and me talking quite a bit :). Hope you enjoy it. Please do give me your comments about the video. What you liked? What can be improved? What you want to see more off and what less? :)

Today I also went out to the field and flew the KFM Wing again, I really am enjoying it so flew three batteries on it :). I also maidened my FT Spitfire for the August Spitfire co-op build went great and flew prefect just like I’d expect it too. I do think I might have been under powered because of a calibration issue but didn’t have energy to start calibrating at the field. Videos will follow when I find time to edit the footage.
Nice video! I'm not really a vlogger, so I can't offer up any suggestions as for improvements. I thought you did a good job. But why? Just fly, man! You looked as tired as I feel. Why expend the energy to edit all that video? Screw it! Just build and fly and record, and let's have fun!

Honestly, I just like watching you fly with commentary as to what you're doing. Much like I do. I would have liked simple video of your wing flights and your Corsair is just amazing! My opinion is to continue the vlog thing if it's something you just want to do. I don't think it's an improvement over simple flight video with commentary. I want to see you fly! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - nice KFM and Corsair flights - maybe if you want to add the commentary I would love to hear you talk through the stick movements as you do it - I particularly like your unique style with the Rx it seems pointed at the ground! :LOL:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

Enjoy the building, the flying, and most of all, your family.
If you feel you want to do VLOG then fine, but don't make it a job, model flying is too much fun to make it a job.
Loving the happy moves :):)

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the tips and comments. I kinda enjoy the VLOGing, but feel like when I talk on video the video just becomes longer, sometimes to long. When I don’t talk I can shorten the videos to something shorter 3-5 mins. Just don’t know how much of you actually watch the longer videos to the end. If the majority doesn’t then I might as well stop talking on the videos or find the balance between them.

@bracesport I really wanted to film both the plane and my stick movements in the start of my journey but can’t seem to get a GoPro all the time to film both. Also why my videos are no longer filmed from my forehead using a GoPro and are filmed off a tripod with my phone. I might try finding another way to have them both filmed.

Any how any other comments will be well appreciated :).

basslord1124

Master member
I think talking during flights makes it more interesting. Most tend to just throw up some music to their flights (I'm guilty of it too). It just adds a personal touch PLUS we can hear your reactions to things. Don't make it seem like a chore/job/"have to" type of thing though. Just get out there and have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Today I also went out to the field and flew the KFM Wing again, I really am enjoying it so flew three batteries on it :).
Here is the video :). Preacticed doing some low passes slow and fast :).

I also maidened my FT Spitfire for the August Spitfire co-op build went great and flew prefect just like I’d expect it too
Posted the maiden video on the Co-op build thread here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spit-roasted-fb.59444/page-24#post-496875

Charging batteries while working on the DGA- 6.