The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here is the video :). Preacticed doing some low passes slow and fast :).

Posted the maiden video on the Co-op build thread here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spit-roasted-fb.59444/page-24#post-496875

Charging batteries while working on the DGA- 6.
Nice flying mayan! You look you're really enjoying that wing. It's good to see you out there just flying and having fun and making mistakes. :D

You mentioned trouble at home in the video. I pray that all is well for you and yours. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Haven't been on the forum over the last 3 days, I came down with a throat infection, but here are a few updates.
On the 6th of the month I went to the field with a friend who recently bought a drone, and my kids. Our goal was to get some nice air to air footage of the KFM Wing which we sort of did, videos when I find time/energy to edit the videos. I also took the Simple Soarer with us to try get my son some more on the sticks. I took the Simple Soarer because my TT needs to be checked after me and @Eddo radush broke the fuselage multiple times and folded the glider wings :). My son with my assistance flew the plane great, he listened and did what I instructed him to do. Pictures and more about that can be found here: Teaching My Children To Fly - The Diary, shortly. At some point I asked my friend if he wanted to try and handed him the Tx. He got into trouble and handed me back the Tx, a bit to close for me to save it from a crash, so now it too needs repairs. Some re-enforcement to the wing so that it won't fold and a re-enforcement to the electronics hatch.

For a while now I have been playing around with the Howard DGA-6 build that I am working on. I already have the wings figured out and I am very pleased with the end result. After clearing my work bench for now by finishing the building and maidening of the FT Spitfire (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spit-roasted-fb.59444/page-24#post-496971), I had more time to work on my DGA-6. So I have been working on the fuselage trying different methods for it. and none worked to my liking. Getting sick didn't help but I do have some great progress with the plans that look good on paper and need to be tested in reality. More about the fuselages methods that I tried can be found here: FTFC20 Howard DGA-6 (Racing) designed by Mayan, shortly.

Off to eat and then finish updating the other threads.

mayan

Legendary member
Here are some pictures from the outing.
IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
Quick update. Even though I am still not feeling 100% I went out the field to fly my KFM Wing some. It didn't last too long this time since I had some trim issues which led to loss of orientation which lead to this.

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

Any how bringing out repair mod, and taking out all the planes that require some checking and repairs done to them, the KFM Wing, Simple Soarer and Tiny Trainer.

More later...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Quick update. Even though I am still not feeling 100% I went out the field to fly my KFM Wing some. It didn't last too long this time since I had some trim issues which led to loss of orientation which lead to this.

View attachment 142099
View attachment 142100
View attachment 142101

Any how bringing out repair mod, and taking out all the planes that require some checking and repairs done to them, the KFM Wing, Simple Soarer and Tiny Trainer.

More later...
That is SOOOO repairable!

I mentioned flying one into a steel light pole with full throttle. well here is the wing glued back together with the skewer reinforcement mentioned elsewhere.

Top view
DSCF0033.JPG

Bottom view
DSCF0034.JPG

Just waiting for the owner to return the Rx and to supply the tape used on the LE and it will fly again. A little rough but infinitely flyable and at the same time of course a new build has commenced for when he can fly the crashed wing without further pole encounters!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
That is SOOOO repairable!

I mentioned flying one into a steel light pole with full throttle. well here is the wing glued back together with the skewer reinforcement mentioned elsewhere.

Top view
View attachment 142102

Bottom view
View attachment 142103

Just waiting for the owner to return the Rx and to supply the tape used on the LE and it will fly again. A little rough but infinitely flyable and at the same time of course a new build has commenced for when he can fly the crashed wing without further pole encounters!

have fun!
Man that’s how you know me!? It’s already repaired :). Just need a new 8x6 prop :(.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee - are you running a flight stabiliser on that KFM?
The owner has a stabilizer fitted and to be honest I suspect that the stabilizer was somewhat seminal in the crash into the pole.

Post crash inspection of the damage showed that the stabilizer board was flopping around loose and had originally only been held in place, (inside its housing), with a little double sided tape which had let go!

The stabilizer was fitted as the owner has yet to do a proper take off or landing so he requested that it be fitted, (It actually flies better without it but as a security blanket I suppose it serves a purpose)! Beware cheap stabilizers!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Possibly have @Hai-Lee open it and monitor it for re-enforcements for newbies like us to crash and prove as not strong enough :).

What struck me about the picture is where the broken piece of prop ended up :).
If the prop comment was about the repaired wing pic that I posted, in other words the white patch in the wing TE, well I can say that is where the motor came forward and the spinning prop, (remember it was at full throttle), sliced through the wing TE and also put a score in the wing top layer a little further forward. It was the cut and the score that helped to start the tear in the wing which after breaking fell to the ground with the two wing parts still interconnected by the LE tape strip. Sort of like a drug effected butterfly! The prop survived intact:rolleyes:.

As for the crashed wing thread, any name suggestions?

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
If the prop comment was about the repaired wing pic that I posted, in other words the white patch in the wing TE, well I can say that is where the motor came forward and the spinning prop, (remember it was at full throttle), sliced through the wing TE and also put a score in the wing top layer a little further forward. It was the cut and the score that helped to start the tear in the wing which after breaking fell to the ground with the two wing parts still interconnected by the LE tape strip. Sort of like a drug effected butterfly! The prop survived intact:rolleyes:.

As for the crashed wing thread, any name suggestions?

Have fun!
It was on my picture :). As for a name suggestion this is mine: KFM Wing crash stories. :)