The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I haven't beening posting in deacdes and I honestly miss you all. Let me try to bring you up to speed on both personal and aviation matters.
On personal matters, I have been working a lot lately. Managing many projects and each day getting yet another one to manage. This is obivously taking a lot of my time and when I am not working I try to spend as much time with the kids as possible. Health is good (thank god). A little short on budget at the moment so holding back on hobby related stuff as much as possible. We had our Independence day a few days ago, and have a one week long family trip planned for the end of the month. This is part of why I we are saving up budget. Well that was that on personal matters now lets talk fun stuff :).
View attachment 225754 View attachment 225755

On aviation hobby stuff I have...
1) built and flown the FT Tutor and I really enjoyed it. I flew it a bunch trying to do some 3D tricks with it. Crashed and repaired it planenty, which helped me understand why you'd paint it after a test flight :). The paint job sure does cover up all the fixes from the crashes :). Got to a point where I let my friends with zero flying expreince fly it on the sports wing setup (was halirous). Even after they crashed it super hard I managed to repair it and get it to fly again, that was untill I K.O.ed it :). The body was burried in the field and electronics savaged :). (videos soon to come)
View attachment 225756

2) I totally failed @FoamyDM 's FTFC22 challenge check out the post about it here.

3) I did though put one of the FTFC22 models that I built on a test flight, and tested the piggy back mechanism I built from flite test which worked absolutely amazing. Check out the post about it here.
View attachment 225758 View attachment 225759

4) I've built the FT Edge 540 again and totaled that too :(. I really love the model but can't seem to get it right just yet :(. (video soon to come)
View attachment 225760 View attachment 225761 View attachment 225762 View attachment 225763 View attachment 225764 View attachment 225765

5) I've built bloody baron again, and just love it. Simple and fast to build, can take a wide range of batteries sizes, is durable and flys amazing! Simply an amazing design. I am actually considering to build a few of these to try and get some guys with flying expreince to come fly with me.
View attachment 225767
View attachment 225766

6) Got my head around the Huge Spitfire I built, you can read more about that here.

That was that for now! Now I am debating what model to build? Considering I only have big batteries 2200 3S/4S. Any suggestions?
See you all in a another million years (hopefully not).
NICE MAN, I have to agree with you about the bloody baron, its crazy fun to fly, and i cant wait to test it out on 4s.
just curious how does the rudder function on it?? ive never thought of adding a rudder but knife edges in it must be fun.

in my mind the grunjet is a fun build, and looks like a great flier, i built a 130% one with a 70mm edf, and test flight should hopefully be this week, as soon as my 4s batts arrive.
so ill let you know how that goes.

my other suggestion would be a stick, i built @The Hangar 's simple stick and i have to say thing is frikkin awesome. lnife edges, inverted, loops... snap rolls... etc itll do it all, its insane and by far the nicest plane ive flown, just wish i could land the thing:ROFLMAO:, my landings absolutely suck. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: i keep on stalling it and pancaking it:ROFLMAO::p... gotta learn to fly it to the ground..

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
NICE MAN, I have to agree with you about the bloody baron, its crazy fun to fly, and i cant wait to test it out on 4s.
just curious how does the rudder function on it?? ive never thought of adding a rudder but knife edges in it must be fun.

in my mind the grunjet is a fun build, and looks like a great flier, i built a 130% one with a 70mm edf, and test flight should hopefully be this week, as soon as my 4s batts arrive.

my other suggestion would be a stick, i built @The Hangar 's simple stick and i have to say thing is frikkin awesome. lnife edges, inverted, loops... snap rolls... etc itll do it all, its insane and by far the nicest plane ive flown, just wish i could land the thing:ROFLMAO:, my landings absolutely suck. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: i keep on stalling it and pancaking it:ROFLMAO::p... gotta learn to fly it to the ground..
I build the bloody baron kit and really really enjoyed it. The rudder was completely useless tho. Absolutely no authority. I’d save to weight and leave it off

mayan

Legendary member

4S with the bloody Baron is sweet. Generally it’s a sweet airframe because of the durability and setups it can take. Not sure it can hold knife edge though at least I can’t.

I’ve built the stick before but haven’t really managed to do any 3D flying with it, probably just because I suck at 3D though.

What you all think of a crazy project like making something that shouldn’t fly?

mayan

Legendary member
Quite a long time ago I took Danielle to the field with the Simple Soarer and managed to convince her to fly. Most of the flight she was actually flying solo even though the wings where quite strong.

After learning from foamydm to add a elevator/throttle mix I’ve come to believe that this model is a better 3 channel trainer than the Tiny Trainer. Although the fuselage here is much more difficult to build.

When I took back control I crashed the plane a distance away into a tree.

bisco

Elite member
great job danielle! wow, you can really hear the wind. looks like you have a future pilot and hopefully modeler.

is she your daughter? i hope to get my grandson flying soon, he'll be six next april.

mayan

Legendary member
great job danielle! wow, you can really hear the wind. looks like you have a future pilot and hopefully modeler.

is she your daughter? i hope to get my grandson flying soon, he'll be six next april.
Yep she’s my daughter! Doesn’t like though, it was really rare to get her to try. My son doesn’t like it either :(. Kinda wish I would manage to get them to try. I might be able to get my son to try drones if I find one for a decent price that could be used for air filming.

Piotrsko

Master member
Kids are like slot machines: you put your coin in, pull the handle and you get what you get. Sometimes you get a jackpot, but you don't know until they grow up.

Both my kids were ambivelant about flying, but my daughter got to glider solo at 14, my son couldn't care less. Being adults, neither wants anything to do with piloting anything, but they are both proper, caring adults.

You're lucky, they want to hang around with you and sometimes even play with your toys.

mayan

Legendary member
Tomorrow my daughter’s school has invited me to be an enriching parent explaining on a topic. I obviously choose to talk about RC planes.

So I made a PowerPoint presentation explaining the all to basics of RC planes for their age. I took an old remote that they can play around with and one which I will use to demonstrate the control surfaces movement. I took some raw materials (balsa, fb, etc) to show them what RC planes can be built out of.
727A708F-6290-45FB-BDB8-2A81D82F5D2E.jpeg
4BD729E8-1202-401F-9767-63852C9CD783.jpeg

To wrap up the whole activity I cut a dozen of nerdnic’s chuck stang gliders for them to build together with me. Since they can’t use hot glue I kinda tricked the system and for most parts used fb with glue on with back of it.
448533DC-5982-45C2-8535-050FD9946712.jpeg
16D87C1E-BE66-4D3E-A4B6-3A49D1C90BCE.jpeg

Hoping for the best :)!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Tomorrow my daughter’s school has invited me to be an enriching parent explaining on a topic. I obviously choose to talk about RC planes.

So I made a PowerPoint presentation explaining the all to basics of RC planes for their age. I took an old remote that they can play around with and one which I will use to demonstrate the control surfaces movement. I took some raw materials (balsa, fb, etc) to show them what RC planes can be built out of.
View attachment 226750 View attachment 226751

To wrap up the whole activity I cut a dozen of nerdnic’s chuck stang gliders for them to build together with me. Since they can’t use hot glue I kinda tricked the system and for most parts used fb with glue on with back of it.
View attachment 226752 View attachment 226753

Awesome! Kudos to you for introducing hopefully a few members of the next generation to the hobby.(y)(y)

mayan

Legendary member

View attachment 226750 View attachment 226751

View attachment 226752 View attachment 226753

Was amazing! Kinda lost them on the presentation but surely gained them back on the build! Had a little bit of an issue getting them to stay with me and not run ahead on the build but nothing that could have gone totally wrong and not be fixed. After building the gliders we went outside to fire them up, and everyone on the way to the playground asked them what they got in their hands. They all seemed super excited and it definitely showed when they finally got to send them away after going through safety rules.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Was amazing! Kinda lost them on the presentation but surely gained them back on the build! Had a little bit of an issue getting them to stay with me and not run ahead on the build but nothing that could have gone totally wrong and not be fixed. After building the gliders we went outside to fire them up, and everyone on the way to the playground asked them what they got in their hands. They all seemed super excited and it definitely showed when they finally got to send them away after going through safety rules.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

mayan

Legendary member
Tomorrow it’s happening!!!! I am a giving a recycling chuck glider crash course :). Still not sure how things will go especially cause I feel like something is missing. I am doing it with no benefits but having fun!!! And hope to bring in a few youngsters into the hobby :). I did however use my at work to get a place to host at and publicity on our city’s website 🙃. Any how wish me luck.
27AF286C-0D58-4995-98A5-86A902D0D16C.jpeg
DD956063-BE75-4909-847A-256ADA58A7B4.jpeg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Tomorrow it’s happening!!!! I am a giving a recycling chuck glider crash course :). Still not sure how things will go especially cause I feel like something is missing. I am doing it with no benefits but having fun!!! And hope to bring in a few youngsters into the hobby :). I did however use my at work to get a place to host at and publicity on our city’s website 🙃. Any how wish me luck.
View attachment 229306 View attachment 229307
Good luck! I'm sure it will go well.

mayan

Legendary member
On aviation hobby stuff I have...
1) built and flown the FT Tutor and I really enjoyed it. I flew it a bunch trying to do some 3D tricks with it. Crashed and repaired it planenty, which helped me understand why you'd paint it after a test flight :). The paint job sure does cover up all the fixes from the crashes :). Got to a point where I let my friends with zero flying expreince fly it on the sports wing setup (was halirous). Even after they crashed it super hard I managed to repair it and get it to fly again, that was untill I K.O.ed it :). The body was burried in the field and electronics savaged :). (videos soon to come)
Going back to this post. Here is the video of my friends flying solo.