The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

Hineybadger

Simple Stick EDF build update: 5/1/2020

Got the EDF placement positioned and mounted in. Had to cut out the foam on the sides and top due to the fan-blade housing size. Inserted hobby grade wood to reinforce those areas since it was only paper. This is the same "original" simple stick fuselage only turned upside down to adapt to the exit point of the thrust tube. The fuselage was shortened in the rear 1 inch to help with CG balancing since the EDF is not up front like the prop version.

Next step is building the lower front battery compartment and installing the landing gear without obstructing the EDF air intake area. Still brainstorming the landing gear attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    942.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3802.JPG
    IMG_3802.JPG
    993.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3804.JPG
    IMG_3804.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 0

Hineybadger

Simple Stick EDF Maiden is complete.

Didn't have as much power as I expected but it did fly great. The jet sound from the EDF was awesome. I have sense shortened the thrust tube and flew again this morning, which did improve the performance greatly. I have some onboard video from my RunCam 5 that I'll upload later today.

Video:

Attachments

• IMG-3840.jpg
    IMG-3840.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3841.jpg
    IMG-3841.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member

Didn't have as much power as I expected but it did fly great. The jet sound from the EDF was awesome. I have sense shortened the thrust tube and flew again this morning, which did improve the performance greatly. I have some onboard video from my RunCam 5 that I'll upload later today.

Video:

Video is marked private

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Video:
Awesome maiden! That really sounded cool!

Wildthing

Legendary member
So with the 2 different fuses, Simple Stick #1 is the original and #2 is with it flipped so the horizontal is parallel to the wing but the motor in a sense is now lower so overall it handles the same with the exception of less rudder authority because it is higher and getting less prop wash. Now the surfaces dimension are identical but the power setups are different so not a true comparison but I have enlarged the rudder on #2 and will see how it now performs once the wind lets up.

2020_0516_124109_001.JPG

OliverW

Legendary member
So with the 2 different fuses, Simple Stick #1 is the original and #2 is with it flipped so the horizontal is parallel to the wing but the motor in a sense is now lower so overall it handles the same with the exception of less rudder authority because it is higher and getting less prop wash. Now the surfaces dimension are identical but the power setups are different so not a true comparison but I have enlarged the rudder on #2 and will see how it now performs once the wind lets up.

View attachment 169189
Are you gonna extend the decals? My little bit of OCD hates that 🤣🤣😂

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes they did, seem to work well so far although I meant to clarify with you that they were $8 for one (not two). Still a good deal.

Decided to go with a full sized simple stick for now, may do a mini at a later date but want to use my mini electronics for a tiny trainer.
Were they the SimonK ones?