The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That is a great video review! I love the Simple Scout but it's getting shabby looking after a full flying season and a few chance encounters with trees, corn fields and the ground. 😝 It was a great training airplane. I may have to build one of these to replace it. Flies great!
Your scout sure turned out looking amazing! If you built a simple stick I bet it would be the best looking one yet!

alan0043

Thanks man! Love the plane! Highly recommend to anyone on the fence!

Hi Custom,

Thank you for sharing your video. I enjoyed your touch and goes ! The plane looks like it could fly it's self. I would like to try ski's myself but I don't have a 3 D printer to make any parts. I'll have to do a search and see what comes up for home made ski's. Nice work.

Al

Cobra1365

I’d like to see this in about a 1.2-1.3m wingspan.
what’s the best way to upscale the plans? Or, does anyone already have some plans that size?
thanks!

Arcfyre

Elite member
I’d like to see this in about a 1.2-1.3m wingspan.
what’s the best way to upscale the plans? Or, does anyone already have some plans that size?
thanks!

I wouldn't bother upscaling the plans. You're only talking about a 300mm wingspan extension. Build the wings according to the plans, but build each one 150mm longer. Boom. Done.

The fuselage is long enough to accommodate that wingspan without an issue. You may lose a little roll rate but you'll likely gain some glide capability.

Cobra1365

I wouldn't bother upscaling the plans. You're only talking about a 300mm wingspan extension. Build the wings according to the plans, but build each one 150mm longer. Boom. Done.

The fuselage is long enough to accommodate that wingspan without an issue. You may lose a little roll rate but you'll likely gain some glide capability.

Great point!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So, do they just print your plans at 130%?
He has a needle cutter, but you would do the same thing when tiling the plans. Do you k is how to upscale the plane in Adobe acrobat or whatever program you use? Once the plans are printed you can do scale the score cuts to about 4.5mm.

Cobra1365

He has a needle cutter, but you would do the same thing when tiling the plans. Do you k is how to upscale the plane in Adobe acrobat or whatever program you use? Once the plans are printed you can do scale the score cuts to about 4.5mm.
I’ve never upscale anything. I suppose I could take them to a local print shop.

I have Adobe Acrobat. But, pretty much clueless! 🥴

Headbang

Master member
I know @Headbang and @Photo001 were working on 130% simple sticks, but I haven’t heard from either of them in a while. 130% should put it right in at about 1.3m.
Photo001 got his built and flew it, the larger scale was perfect. As far as how I upscale, I use Inkscape and scale up and rearrange plans to fit on sheets. And yes I then set them up to cut on the mpcnc with a needle cutter.

Life, work, covid, you name it basically tossed my flying season out the window. Totally stalled on all projects for the last 10 months.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Life, work, covid, you name it basically tossed my flying season out the window. Totally stalled on all projects for the last 10 months.
I totally get it - hopefully 2021 leaves you with more flying time. What motor did Lane use in his?