The "Simple Stick" - builders thread and plans

Duvall

I dont suppose a less frenetic version of the build video is possible? I love Josh's FT build video, if only you could actually buy one of theirs, or print their plans...I've done 3 or 4 scratch builds so this one was mostly self explanatory, but I'm a little lost on the Tail/Fuse servo and final assembly. Some people have their servos on the exterior, some interior, etc. I'm having a hard time determining how and where the pushrods are routed and mounted. Also the whole tail assembly rudder/elevator to fuse is a little unclear.
Love this design. It was easy to print out the tiled plans, and I cut them out and mounted them to posterboard and made templates for future builds/parts. None of that 72 page craziness. and it only required 3 pieces of Readyboard.
Thanks Hangar. I live in Washington too, Snoqualmie Valley, so I may have to do a pontoon version in honor of our floods.

OliverW

Legendary member
I dont suppose a less frenetic version of the build video is possible? I love Josh's FT build video, if only you could actually buy one of theirs, or print their plans...I've done 3 or 4 scratch builds so this one was mostly self explanatory, but I'm a little lost on the Tail/Fuse servo and final assembly. Some people have their servos on the exterior, some interior, etc. I'm having a hard time determining how and where the pushrods are routed and mounted. Also the whole tail assembly rudder/elevator to fuse is a little unclear.
Love this design. It was easy to print out the tiled plans, and I cut them out and mounted them to posterboard and made templates for future builds/parts. None of that 72 page craziness. and it only required 3 pieces of Readyboard.
Thanks Hangar. I live in Washington too, Snoqualmie Valley, so I may have to do a pontoon version in honor of our floods.
The servos go on the interior where the servo marks are located, and then the pushrods go to either the rudder or elevator. You decide which side they go on. And the tail just slides into the slots on the rear fuse

Duvall

The servos go on the interior where the servo marks are located, and then the pushrods go to either the rudder or elevator. You decide which side they go on. And the tail just slides into the slots on the rear fuse

Yes, that much was obvious, but what wasnt obvious was the how the pushrods get to the rudder and elevator. I figured it out reasonably well. I think. I used Flite Test's stirrer guides to hold the rods inside the fuselage
IMG_20210102_030328496[1].jpg IMG_20210102_030344807[1].jpg IMG_20210102_030423677[1].jpg IMG_20210102_030452426[1].jpg IMG_20210102_030507810[1].jpg

Last edited:

Duvall

I dont mind a z-bend when its the best option, but given the opportunity I like something I can make quick adjustments on. These came packaged with some control horns I got off Amazon. They accept a decent diameter rod. My only issue with them is I think I will have to super glue the attachment pin so it doesnt pop open and come loose. But the screw allows you to make really quick length adjustments easily.
I'm trying out these hinges on the elevator and rudder. I got variety of sizes from Amazon and Aliexpress.
Speaking of which, does anyone use these inexpensive Power Packs from Aliexpress?
I am building this plane with all the Chinese budget gear. $10 power pack, $12 6-channel receiver, $16 gyro. If it doesnt burst into flame it might be quite a dandy little trainer.

TooJung2Die

Master member
My only issue with them is I think I will have to super glue the attachment pin so it doesnt pop open and come loose.

Instead of gluing the clevis pin closed use a piece of tubing to hold the clevis closed. Slide the tubing off to open and remove the clevis. Here is an example.

IMG_2701crop.jpg

does anyone use these inexpensive Power Packs from Aliexpress?

Nothing terribly wrong with those power packs. I bought one of those a long time ago. After that I began buying components individually. I like those cheap 2212 motors. They're the equivalent of the old Flite Test "B" power packages. 40A ESC is overkill, you can use 30A. The 6x4 props are good for the 2400KV motor. You can go up to 8x4 on the 1400KV motor (my favorite).

Jon

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I dont mind a z-bend when its the best option, but given the opportunity I like something I can make quick adjustments on. These came packaged with some control horns I got off Amazon. They accept a decent diameter rod. My only issue with them is I think I will have to super glue the attachment pin so it doesnt pop open and come loose. But the screw allows you to make really quick length adjustments easily.
I'm trying out these hinges on the elevator and rudder. I got variety of sizes from Amazon and Aliexpress.
Speaking of which, does anyone use these inexpensive Power Packs from Aliexpress?
I am building this plane with all the Chinese budget gear. $10 power pack, $12 6-channel receiver, $16 gyro. If it doesnt burst into flame it might be quite a dandy little trainer.
Instead of glue, you can use a small piece of silicone tube, or even a rubber band used for dental braces. I like the silicone tube best.
EDIT: @TooJung2Die beat me! (y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I actually tried to make a build video but lots of my footage didn’t save. But thanks for the reminder - I’ll definitely put that on my list to do! And I’m glad to hear the plans and all worked out well for you! If you do floats you’ll have a lot of fun with them - I sure did!

Duvall

This was only my 5th foamboard plane, and 3rd scratch build from tiled plans. I did the BN Versa and a regular one, and then this one. You learn so much. I've got it fully built and ready to fly, print to power up in two days. If it survives the maiden I'll paint it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
This was only my 5th foamboard plane, and 3rd scratch build from tiled plans. I did the BN Versa and a regular one, and then this one. You learn so much. I've got it fully built and ready to fly, print to power up in two days. If it survives the maiden I'll paint it.
That’s awesome - scratch building is addicting! The pictures of the tail you sent look great. I really like how you did the hinges.

Duvall

I really liked the wing design, with the spar having a cable channel is something I'd change on all of the other FT models. I've had to go fishing for servo cables more than a few times, and this would sure make it easier to add flaps, LEDs, and all the other things you might want to modify later. I thought this wing turned out perfect. I stuffed all the electronics into a power pod I had left over.

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_194257733[1].jpg
    IMG_20210102_194257733[1].jpg
    304 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210102_194319515[1].jpg
    IMG_20210102_194319515[1].jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210102_194010653[2].jpg
    IMG_20210102_194010653[2].jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I found on Knife Edge Swap Pages that a guy made a simple stic View attachment 189739 View attachment 189740 View attachment 189741 View attachment 189742 k for real flight! It flies similarly to my old one and is a blast to fly!
Huge thanks to @tanmaychhatbar for making a realflight model of the simple stick! I had a blast flying it around last night. :D The model can be downloaded here:
https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/index.php?resources/ft-simple-stick_ea.27627/

dave1up

I haven't built the firewall yet but do we need to put any type of thrust angle into this POD ?

Attachments

• gTKbXU5.jpg
    gTKbXU5.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

I haven't built the firewall yet but do we need to put any type of thrust angle into this POD ?
I didn't cut any thrust angle into the pod, but instead I just added a small washer behind the motor mount to the top and left side to give the motor a slight down and to the right angle.