The Single Best Advise to a NEW Bixler/Surfer Owner I can offer....

jd7792

Hey guys I know I'm new to the hobby but I have to tell you,

I had my maiden flight of my SkySurfer2 (My first plane, SkySurfer1, is no longer with us!) and I can confirm that the very BEST advise I can offer to any Bixler/Surfer owner is to invest in some Scotch or 3M reinforced "Tough" Duct Tape and run a straight, long and even stretch from the front of the cockpit down around the nose (bit of trimming advisable around nose front, for aesthetics) all the way back, covering while following, the centre joint line as far back as the tail.

Surfer 1 had an argument with the ground and the Carnage was phenomenal. Surfer 2 tried the same style of discussion and the tape being in place absorbed all the winning punches the ground put forth!

jd7792 :black_eyed:

ALWAYS REMEMBER:- "I don't crash.....I just park at high speed!":)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Second that! Just bought a roll of tape yesterday, just to cover my Bixler. I even change tape every few flights. The belly of the plane is as good as new.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
If you can get it, try 3m Extreme Tape (or generic bi-directional reinforced fiberglass tape).
This stuff is by far the best to use on your planes, just needs to be covered with another layer of clear packing tape so the sun doesn't degrade the tape.

May be hard to find in other places but can easily be found in the states.

jd7792

If you can get it, try 3m Extreme Tape (or generic bi-directional reinforced fiberglass tape).
This stuff is by far the best to use on your planes, just needs to be covered with another layer of clear packing tape so the sun doesn't degrade the tape.

May be hard to find in other places but can easily be found in the states.

I is really hard to get a lot of the things that should be taken as basic hobby items, here in West Australia. In fact I ended up ordering epox with my last Surfer kit because I couldn't get ANYONE here to tell me which epox to use and the actual hobby stores either wanted a fortune for stuff or just referred me to good old Bunnings which is where no-one would commit in the first place. But from all my reading and watching I believe that the tape I have now is the same as the one you all use in America and other parts of the world.

But as always keen to get the advise....Thnx!

jd7792

"I don't crash, I just park at high speed!"

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If you want epoxy, try the Reject Shop or similar cheap shop. They usually have epoxy for around $3. It works just as well as Selleys.

jd7792

Can you give me a name or description of the bottle/packet? I'm always wondering around those stores.

jd7792

jamesomega

Bixler or not. Scotch Heavy Duty Packing tape is one of the best and first things you should add to the leading edge or belly landing surface of anything foam. A single layer does wonders, but two layers of that stuff will give you a rigid surface that can take a beating.

Just try to be conservative with it because it will start adding weight.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
In the UK a hobby store will charge about £6 for a roll of fibreglass tape....But if you go in a sports shop
and buy cricket bat/hockey stick repair tape......same stuff £1.99....keep flying

cpmboy

in the middle of assembling my Bixler.....just want know how do we remove parts(servos, horns) that had been glued to the plane?. I want to replace the stock servos & horns.

jd7792

in the middle of assembling my Bixler.....just want know how do we remove parts(servos, horns) that had been glued to the plane?. I want to replace the stock servos & horns.

My situation was quite different to yours, in that I could just rip them out due to the damage already done, but, I did find that with a little knife work I did manage to cut the glue significantly to take the servos out and then clean them up to re-use. I am sure that there are more qualified members that will give you suggestions, but no matter what you do you will have to remember Patience and care are needed!

Good Luck!

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

I am sure that there are more qualified members that will give you suggestions

Just pry them up with a table knife (the dull, round tip ones) - and use a ruler or something to stop the foam from compressing at the pivot point. They are loosely glued, enough to easily pull them out.