the sound barrier challange

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I imagine travelling at 700mph+ would be completely impractical for RC unless you have FPV on it. Also a sonic boom might just tear the plane apart?

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I imagine travelling at 700mph+ would be completely impractical for RC unless you have FPV on it. Also a sonic boom might just tear the plane apart?
I thought that the sonic boom was behind the plane, since it breaks true the sound..., i dont think it's gonna effect it at all.
I must agree on the FPV part, sounds a lot more practical, if we set up a fpv whit 10km range, than we have a good 20km to accelerate on.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I thought that the sonic boom was behind the plane, since it breaks true the sound..., i dont think it's gonna effect it at all.
I must agree on the FPV part, sounds a lot more practical, if we set up a fpv whit 10km range, than we have a good 20km to accelerate on.

The waves build up on the leading edge and can cause all sorts of problems with the control surfaces. Worse than flutter :(

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D

On a plane passing through you actually have two "sounds" which are very close together.
The first one is when the tip of the plane passes through the sound barrier and that is when you see the white "air" in front of the plane and then a second time at the end of the plane! Here is good video I just found discribing it! Btw. I just watched it after I wrote the text and I was right with the two sonic booms :D:D

Airwolf

Sonic boom - sound of my childhood (I lived near the airbase where MiG-21 Fishbeds stationed, they used to perform supersonic flights every week)...

Too bad they're now longer allowed to do that over the populated area :(

earthsciteach

When I was a kid F-4 Phantoms would fly over our house just above tree level. We lived near the Atlantic Ocean in Delaware. Every now and then, we'd hear a sonic boom from over the ocean. I LOVED it!

MrClean

Oh to have a flight of F-4s go overhead at low altitude. Modern fighters are awesome, maneuverable and just fantastic but those F-4's made sound you wouldn't believe. They would rumble you off your feet, which was pretty funny because you could talk up to and past when they went by. I told my wife once as they were going by "Cover your ears". She didn't get "Why?" out. Bout a month later we were at another airshow when a flight of F-4's came by demo'ing with the air refueling wing at Forbes, I saw the jets coming, looked at her and she already had her ears covered.

She just married a dummy. She ain't no....

earthsciteach

The national guard used to fly F-4s directly over my house in southern Delaware when I was a kid. They were LOW and the house is surrounded by woods. It so cool because I'd see them almost directly overhead before I heard them. Then...... :cool: