the sound barrier challange

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I usually tend to make challenges that are made harder by adding criterias like: "fly under a 1 foot high pole" or "maximum wingspan cannot exceed 1m", but not this time, so it should not be too hard to accomplish, the challenge is simple: Break the sound barrier. :)

Hobby-king just released a new turbine didn't they? And oh look! it comes in metallic blue!: http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rouse-Tech_98mm_Motors.asp

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The speed of sound is 768 mph.

Here are gliders going 399 mph.

That's better than 1/2 way there!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Seen that video... But I mean if those gliders are 399mph fast can a turbine jet or anything like that EVER achieve that speed? I haven´t seen or heard of any.

It will definitely be a tough challenge and you gotta build with high quiality materials like carbonfiber and I even suggest to make an own fuselage out of carbon. I think that fiberglass might not be as good as carbon and you´ll need every g less possible and all stability possible

With the right prop and motor combination I believe it's quite possible to break the sound barrier at the propeller tip
So in that respect, you bet I can break the sound barrier with one of my planes!
;)

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
no, the sonic boom is relative to the noise the plane/rocket makes, it probably isn't as loud as a real jet breaking it, but it should be quite loud.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I've broken the sound barrier with a whip (horse whip)

Really? Is it that easy? I always thought it is because the end kinda folds a little and slaps itself and that is what makes the sound. Or is the sound still created the way I said it or due to gettin breaking through the sound barrier?

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Really? Is it that easy? I always thought it is because the end kinda folds a little and slaps itself and that is what makes the sound. Or is the sound still created the way I said it or due to gettin breaking through the sound barrier?
Yeah, it's that easy....The sound is the tip breaking the sound barrier.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
This is pretty awesome! Never thought of the whip... sounds like something Josh Scott would bring into a show...