The Start of The SAB KR84 Design and Build.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well it looks like I have no choice now but to start cutting out the fuses :D

2019_1024_093330_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Two fuses cut out, one installed and 1/2 of one canopy printed.

Roll of pla was getting low and rather then gamble let's change it now, one red versus the other red :D Atleast the new roll is slightly closer to red, wonder what their orange looks like?

2019_1025_070354_001.JPG
2019_1025_070410_002.JPG
2019_1025_071603_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
I did scale my 4S setup also last night and it comes in at 16.9 oz with a 2200 4S battery. The 6S setup with 2 3000 3S batteries is 33 oz . 6S all loaded up about 53 oz and the 4S should come in around 37 oz., power to weight ratio should be about 2 to 1 for both planes.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Wedge filling done and fuse sanded so final pieces of the upper wing can be completed
2019_1026_074110_002.JPG

Wing is done so now the balsa leading edge plus control horns are in. Next is to cut the hatches for the esc's and get those wires run.
2019_1027_081109_001.JPG
2019_1027_081120_002.JPG
2019_1027_105804_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
So how much printing has it done for both planes?
I think it was running all week :) , I could have printed multiple pieces at one time but you just don't end up with as nice of print, more stringers and crap when it passes from one piece to another. Yes fine tuning of the print settings helps but it can be a pain, it changes if you even change filament. Plus I was printing in the fine mode so slowed right down and longer print times. I tried to plan which print and when so if I was sleeping it was printing :D

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I think it was running all week :) , I could have printed multiple pieces at one time but you just don't end up with as nice of print, more stringers and crap when it passes from one piece to another. Yes fine tuning of the print settings helps but it can be a pain, it changes if you even change filament. Plus I was printing in the fine mode so slowed right down and longer print times. I tried to plan which print and when so if I was sleeping it was printing :D
Nice printing is a lot of fun! I haven't tried fine mode yet, what exactly is it, does it just slow down the printer?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Nice printing is a lot of fun! I haven't tried fine mode yet, what exactly is it, does it just slow down the printer?
Yes things slow down but the quality of print gets better. They are a blast and you can just sit and watch it print for hours :D . But they then can turn evil on you and suddenly print like crap , sometimes that is the filament whether you changed it or even if it is drying out some or maintenance on the machine itself like a plugged tip. Plus there are a ton of settings you can play with to change how it prints, you do tend to waste plastic experimenting but that's how you learn what it all does. I use Cura as my slicer, I did start out originally with Repetier but found the software very limited for settings.

Wildthing

Legendary member
This is one awesome project! I admire you willingness to continue after a hard crash and burn. This looks awesome and i really think it will work well. Can't wait to see the finished product!
I didn't lose any sleep over the crash, it was sad but oh well that is this hobby and cost was minimal. Bungee launching though there is no high speed taxying and if things aren't right there is no shutting it down, so it better be right or very close. So these new guys will have the adjustments in them so hopefully next time the outcome is a little different. Sad part here is the weather is now below 0 and snow has started so it may not be until spring that they get tested.