The Start of The SAB KR84 Design and Build.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yes things slow down but the quality of print gets better. They are a blast and you can just sit and watch it print for hours :D . But they then can turn evil on you and suddenly print like crap , sometimes that is the filament whether you changed it or even if it is drying out some or maintenance on the machine itself like a plugged tip. Plus there are a ton of settings you can play with to change how it prints, you do tend to waste plastic experimenting but that's how you learn what it all does. I use Cura as my slicer, I did start out originally with Repetier but found the software very limited for settings.
I use Cura as well!
I get what you mean with how they turn evil. The first time I changed filaments it took about 15 tries to get the filament to stick to the bed consistently. I've found that as long as my print sticks it will have no problem doing the rest of it. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever had anything go wrong after it got past the first 3 or 4 layers.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I use Cura as well!
I get what you mean with how they turn evil. The first time I changed filaments it took about 15 tries to get the filament to stick to the bed consistently. I've found that as long as my print sticks it will have no problem doing the rest of it. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever had anything go wrong after it got past the first 3 or 4 layers.
Sticking to the bed can be fun sometimes, you can add a brim onto the build, check your Z clearance because you may be to far away from the bed or even adjust it down in small increments, I like it to just slightly smear the bead.
I started off with what they supplied me with for a surface, it was like a blue masking tape. Then I started just using green painters masking tape and it worked pretty good. Some use the glass beds and then hairspray. I now have what are called BuildTak sheets which you order the size of your bed and they are self adhesive, pretty costly in the beginning you think but they last a long time. I think I bought mine 2 years ago and I am on my second sheet ,3 came in the pack so I have one left. Very seldom do I have a piece come loose, if anything to get the piece off I have to heat up the bed they are stuck so good.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I use Cura as well!

Make sure to measure the thickness of your filament with calipers and enter that into Cura. Also fo some fine tuning I do a 1cm box and a small cylinder. When done the box should measure 1cm square and the walls 1mm thick. If out even things like the flow % you can adjust, I think mine is at 102% right now with the filament I am running. I will see if I can find the video on it plus the stl files for the cube and cylinder.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Make sure to measure the thickness of your filament with calipers and enter that into Cura. Also fo some fine tuning I do a 1cm box and a small cylinder. When done the box should measure 1cm square and the walls 1mm thick. If out even things like the flow % you can adjust, I think mine is at 102% right now with the filament I am running. I will see if I can find the video on it plus the stl files for the cube and cylinder.
I guess I need some calipers...

Wildthing

Legendary member
I use Cura as well!

Here is the video and the cube and cylinder stl files are attached.

Attachments

• 1cm_cube.stl
    684 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1cm_cylinder.stl
    69.6 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the 3D printer just fired up again, nothing big but the new thruster I design for the smaller motor tapers down to quick and hits the motor mount before it is fully on ;) .

@Grifflyer make sure to start your box of un-used, useless, wrong, screw ups, just because I can and so on of wasted plastic :D:D

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hatches cut in for the esc's
2019_1027_125205_001.JPG

Motors and esc's installed and then the verticals and canards went on.
2019_1027_205533_001.JPG
2019_1027_205547_002.JPG
2019_1027_205558_003.JPG

IcedStorm777

How do you come up with these sleek and amazing designs?? I really can't wait to see it maiden. Also, where do you live that it is so cold and snowy ( I guess i really can't talk right now as it is snowing and about 3 degrees out right now ;)

Wildthing

Legendary member
How do you come up with these sleek and amazing designs?? I really can't wait to see it maiden. Also, where do you live that it is so cold and snowy ( I guess i really can't talk right now as it is snowing and about 3 degrees out right now ;)
Well I designed this based off of the SAB KR84, friend at the club has one and it goes like stink, I think his telemetry clocked him at 300 kmh so I said I need one :) .

Back are page or two was my test 1 , didn't go so good :D . Maybe slightly nose heavy and not enough throws in it for pitch, needless to say it bungee launched beautiful and went up and slowly came down even with full elevator up.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I fired up both of the new planes ( aka drilling machines) , doing vertical thrust test that 4S setup could give the 6S setup a go for it's money, it is 16 oz lighter and power to weight ratio is about the same . The 6S does move a ton more of air though but that doesn't necessarily translate into speed.

Wildthing

Legendary member
You know you can't build something like this and make us wait all winter to see it fly!!! You need to find a way to put these birds in the air soon.:)

You know the funny part is I just finished trimming them in and did a final balance on them 20 minutes ago . Just came up from downstairs because they went into the hangar to sleep ;) . I so wanted to test them this year myself, it just bugs me looking at them sitting there. Another reason to haul them downstairs :D . If they didn't require the bungee launch they would have been maidened one way or the other.