The STORCH - Reborn!

PoorManRC

Master member
Last year, I attempted to build a FT Storch that was cut for me. The Laser was a little weak, and couldn't make all the cuts properly....
I said "That shouldn't be a problem"
It really was, for my crippled Butt!! 😲

BUT, I never liked to quit. Fortunately, neither does my Son....
He took my hacked up pieces, and re drew, then cut (much better than Dad!), the pieces to rebuild her!!
IMG_20190806_122425.jpg

I MESSED up the Main Wing pretty badly. That's going to be a challenge.

But, I've got enough to get started!! And after building 5 other FT Kits, I'm much more comfortable now! 😉
IMG_20190807_010432.jpg

IMG_20190807_010850.jpg

I noticed that with my GORILLA Hands, I kept wrinkling the Fuse on my Cub. This should keep it in check. ✔
IMG_20190807_011655.jpg

IMG_20190807_012329.jpg

IMG_20190807_012619.jpg

I still like reinforcement, I'm just finding lighter ways of achieving this!

PoorManRC

Master member
Reserved for Build.....

This will take a while. I've got a Simple Scout to do first, and a very SPECIAL project!
(OK, it's going to be an Edge 540 - but without the Control Surfaces cut!! It's a personal experiment.)
WHY? Because I love the LOOKS of it, Period.
I no longer have the dexterity OR the reflexes, for anything close to adequate 3D Flight!

SO... I've been drafting this one for over 7 Months.
An Edge that flies more like a Sportster or even a Scout!! 😲😉
Will be doing "wind tunnel" testing of some different Control Surface lengths and Widths.....

(And by Wind Tunnel - I mean a big FAN, some string, and a couple of Coat Hangars!!!) 😁😜😋 LMAO 😄😆

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
reserved for the Build and/or Maiden
I've been seeing your posts for awhile now man, I love your tenacity and love for the hobby. Goes hand in hand for an Air Force vet, NEVER GIVE UP GET'ER DONE ATTITUDE. My grand father (rest his soul) was in the Canadian Air Force and flew in WWII, C-130's, The Hercs they called them. I know that's where I got my love for flight and I am reminded of him all the time. He had a tough grit take no s&$t attitude as well. My respect to you my friend.

Actually just wondering if you have seen anyone designing or building the C-130 in here, would like to honor him in a way?

Thought I would just throw that out to you. Keep it shiny side up

PoorManRC

Master member
I've been seeing your posts for awhile now man, I love your tenacity and love for the hobby. Goes hand in hand for an Air Force vet, NEVER GIVE UP GET'ER DONE ATTITUDE. My grand father (rest his soul) was in the Canadian Air Force and flew in WWII, C-130's, The Hercs they called them. I know that's where I got my love for flight and I am reminded of him all the time. He had a tough grit take no s&$t attitude as well. My respect to you my friend.

Actually just wondering if you have seen anyone designing or building the C-130 in here, would like to honor him in a way?

Thought I would just throw that out to you. Keep it shiny side up

Thank you so much for the kind words Friend!! 😊
I learned the "technical junk" in the USAF...
But I learned so much more from my Dad (Rest His Soul). In the 60's, he flew BUFFs nearly INTO Soviet Airspace - with ARMED NUKES!!!
He needed more excitement... But 1969, he earned the Honor of being accepted to fly the SR-71 Blackbird!!! 😎👍👍 To this day, I still don't know exactly WHERE he flew. He taught me more than I learned in School though.

While stationed on a MAC Base (I think it's called MATS now), I saw a BUNCH of C-130s, and even a few AC-130s, coming home from Vietnam. The AC's were CRAZY Birds!!! 😲 Something that I was GLAD was on OUR side!!

Two things he taught me that I will always keep with me...
"We were NOT made with QUIT! Quitting is a learned behavior!"
THAT one has been put to the test in the past 7 years...

The other, a quote from the Great General, Hap Arnold,
"The Difficult we do immediately, the Impossible will take a little longer!"

There's even a third, from my Dad's friend, General Chuck Yeager...
"ANY Damn Landing that you can walk away from, is a good Landing! No matter how much you might bend the Aircraft!!"
.... One of the BEST natural Flyers I've ever had the Honor of meeting.

I'm SURE there's at least ONE that has been done. Have you tried putting "C-130" in the Search box above?

Here might be a good start...
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/lockheed-c-130-hercules-design.31189/

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Since like my Cub, the Batry Is not going to be hanging off the bottom (!!!), I made an extension Plate, that will continue the bottom Plate all the way to the front...
IMG_20190808_005555.jpg

IMG_20190808_005943.jpg

Bixler is RIGHT! Once you learn the basic folds, cuts and coverings, you can then easily modify or even create, nearly anything!! 👍👍

basslord1124

Master member
Everything's looking good so far...will be following this thread. ;)

The only major airframe things I changed about the Storch:
-the landing gear...I think this is an obvious one and most agree
-the BBQ skewers for wing hold downs...prefer dowels as they are thicker and stronger (as you know)
-The trailing edge of the wing that goes over the fuse...crashes, bumps, and normal stresses can weaken the foam in this area causing it to begin to curl upwards due to stresses from the rubber bands. I have reinforced this area with additional foam and wood reinforcements. This is a weak area for the Simple Cub too.

PoorManRC

Master member
Everything's looking good so far...will be following this thread. ;)

The only major airframe things I changed about the Storch:
-the landing gear...I think this is an obvious one and most agree
-the BBQ skewers for wing hold downs...prefer dowels as they are thicker and stronger (as you know)
-The trailing edge of the wing that goes over the fuse...crashes, bumps, and normal stresses can weaken the foam in this area causing it to begin to curl upwards due to stresses from the rubber bands. I have reinforced this area with additional foam and wood reinforcements. This is a weak area for the Simple Cub too.
Definitely GLAD to have you aboard!! 😊
Did you notice on my Tubby Cubby, on the TE, I have a Skewer along the back edge, a Popsicle Stick on the top of the Back Edge, and a sheet of .030" Styrene across the Center Root....
(That one was to cover the UGLY Glue Joints, but keeps the Rubber Bands from denting the Wings!)

That all added very LITTLE weight, so I'm doing the same to the Storch!

I'm sure You'll easily figure out that I WON'T be using Skewer Wing Hold Downs. Here either! 😉
The 1/4" Basswood Dowels worked great for the Cub. And I got a Bag of 20 of them from Hobby Lobby for only 2 bucks!

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah anything to protect the wing from rubber bands is always a good thing. And you know I'm on the same page with you about dowels. :)

The problem I faced with the wire landing gear was not where it attached to the bottom, but where it attached to the top of the fuse. Any hard hit would cause the wire to pop loose and it'd have to be reglued. At the time I wasn't used to the plane enough to make it land softly (plus our airfield is full of bumps and holes). So I have since done a more standard landing gear that screws into some plywood glued in on the bottom. I'll get some pics of it. Should do a lot better.

PoorManRC

Master member
Yeah anything to protect the wing from rubber bands is always a good thing. And you know I'm on the same page with you about dowels. :)

The problem I faced with the wire landing gear was not where it attached to the bottom, but where it attached to the top of the fuse. Any hard hit would cause the wire to pop loose and it'd have to be reglued. At the time I wasn't used to the plane enough to make it land softly (plus our airfield is full of bumps and holes). So I have since done a more standard landing gear that screws into some plywood glued in on the bottom. I'll get some pics of it. Should do a lot better.

I'd really like to see pictures of your Gear setup! 😉 I'm so far running Popsicle Sticks on the inside of the Fuse, where the Main Gear will go....
As you know by now, she's getting Tricycle Landing Gear with a steerable Nose Wheel. 😎 Still figuring out the Nose Gear setup...

Strength will be the rule here! This has quite a lot of LIFT, so being heavy will only HELP the Flight characteristics.
Heavy - within REASON! 😉

I am indeed fortunate to have permission to use a Baseball Field. Big, smooth, FLAT! Not much of that around here.

basslord1124

Master member
Here's a pic of my new landing gear set up...pretty standard honestly. Like I said, just need to get some bigger tires.

new Storch gear.jpg

Storch gear wood mount.jpg

The landing gear is actually Flyzone Sensei landing gear. Took a gamble with it and had to drill some different holes, but it works!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Since like my Cub, the Batry Is not going to be hanging off the bottom (!!!), I made an extension Plate, that will continue the bottom Plate all the way to the front...
View attachment 138487
View attachment 138488
Bixler is RIGHT! Once you learn the basic folds, cuts and coverings, you can then easily modify or even create, nearly anything!! 👍👍
I know, right? I’ve been taking the plans that don’t use the swappable power pods an make em fit.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I know, right? I’ve been taking the plans that don’t use the swappable power pods an make em fit.
So you like power pods I see, have you checked out my latest thread, Two Sides of the Power Pod Fence. I would really like to get your opinion on it. post your comments there and I wanna see how people respond. @PoorManRC really took to it as have some others, but the more people that chime in on it the better. Thx man.

Are you flying today?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So you like power pods I see, have you checked out my latest thread, Two Sides of the Power Pod Fence. I would really like to get your opinion on it. post your comments there and I wanna see how people respond. @PoorManRC really took to it as have some others, but the more people that chime in on it the better. Thx man.

Are you flying today?
I’ll go check it out! A bit of wind picking up, but this morning I flew my champ a bit and got low and sketchy, flying through gates and doing touch and go’s on the trampoline 😁. I did hit a couple tree branches, but left with zero damage. That’s why l love my champ - I can push myself hard with very little damage if any.

Last edited: