The Talespin Tavern -all things off topic

Yankee2003

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Also @Hondo76251 totally missed an opportunity to call this thread The Tun Tavern
20220818_055538.jpg

Careful, I've been told that idealizing the part of American history where we stood against the crown will get you put on "the list" ;)

20220816_194423.jpg

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Awesome, I think FB planes are great as there is no stress if you damage them or crash them generally the electronics are fine.
And you can really push their limits. And try out new things you might not have with balsa.
Do you think that little motor I’ll get it going because I’m thinking about switching up to the motor on speed controller from the apprentice, seems too big but this is actually a scout XL

luvmy40

Elite member
Do you think that little motor I’ll get it going because I’m thinking about switching up to the motor on speed controller from the apprentice, seems too big but this is actually a scout XL
FT recommends the floowing for the Scout XL:

• FT 2814 1100KV Motor
  • 40A ESC
  • 12x4.5 Prop

Off-topic jes

Elite member
The xl scout is 60" wingspan I believe. Give your current setup a go and if it's underpowered then switch it out
Well actually I went and flew it just now and it was probably cruising at full power at 30 miles an hour very touchy though I’m gonna have to change the expo on the ailerons

Off-topic jes

Elite member
B07F8381-C731-467A-8BA8-0F670680109F.jpeg

82C15A29-2667-48FB-A90A-B7785B97BF84.jpeg
well I’m not sure what happened but the scout would not pull up and hit the ground pretty hard so I just rebuilt the turtle deck and put reinforcers behind the firewall it’s really cool how easy FT plans are to fix this was a five minute job and I’m already done hoping to paint it today

Attachments

• CE07B871-F608-414C-B621-F898CB675290.jpeg
    CE07B871-F608-414C-B621-F898CB675290.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
View attachment 229575
View attachment 229577 well I’m not sure what happened but the scout would not pull up and hit the ground pretty hard so I just rebuilt the turtle deck and put reinforcers behind the firewall it’s really cool how easy FT plans are to fix this was a five minute job and I’m already done hoping to paint it today
I agree lol the majority of fixes are under 10min and that's what I love.
The scout definitely needs a good amount of expo on the ailerons as they are insanely twitchy ..

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Almost unflyable I had to put my expo down, I didn’t actually use the throw gauge I kind of just programmed it in with the flu throat gauge is actually very important apparently😂

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'll post a link shorlty.

... wait, I have a phone here. https://discord.gg/8P2UhpTg this link expires in 7 days from this post date. I will post another closer to a build event. But, get in, chat.)
As promised

The Build Event is Tomorrow at 11am - 2pm EDT -> https://discord.gg/CUzrvRADtD
Jump in tonight to the server tonight. We will be in the Build Party Vid Channel.

Also We have Episode # 57 - Games We play with guest Jesse Hampton (@Zeteyoc) (2hr RT), expected to be released 8:00am EDT www.aviationrcnoob.com

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Discouragement is a by product of life.
I am finding new joy in the RC aviation through foamboard aircraft. Easy to get materials and cheap enough to experience different types of aircraft. The fact that they don’t last too long is a plus for me. Most people have too many airplanes and not enough flight opportunities. I was progressing into more and more expensive airplanes and discontent over all the new “must have” aircraft pushed on YouTube that I didn’t have room or money for. Same flying situation…seems like that is the hardest area to maintain.
But having been around a number of years…I do think there is more paranoia over just flying in a local school or ball field. More locks on gates, and way more people just wanting to control everything around them. I was doing a taxi test of an airplane at a nearby elementary school and a police officer showed up before I had finished. He was asking what I was planning to do because a neighbor was concerned over the reason someone might be on school grounds after school hours.
Forget ball fields around here…they all have concession stands, lights and locked gates.
I used to be into FPV quads but that situation is even worse. People think you are spying or peeping on them. If I didn’t have an RC club nearby I doubt I would even fly the RC aircraft anymore.
Keep looking for places to fly. You might have to get permission from a church or farmer nearby. I know….but what are you going to do?
Another place may be with a local farmer.

Yankee2003

First scout finished! Power pod isn’t glued in I have it set up a bit differently so it will be glued. it’s just not glued in View attachment 229619
View attachment 229620 right now
I really like the paint job. The red and white look stunning.
Since you mentioned power pods….seems like people have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the idea of putting the electronics and battery in one place that is easily taken out of a plane and reused…..but my power pods are usually in less than swappable condition when I am done with an aircraft. Loose or cracked firewall, elongated skewer holes… I am leaning towards glueing them in as well.
What has been your experience?
Does glueing in the power pod make the airframe less repairable?
Will plastic reinforcement of the skewer holes make up for most of these issues?
Sorry about all the questions, but it is something I am currently wrestling with.