The things we do for entertainment... "Fiu"

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Xuzme, that,s what I mean, although I have the washout you meant done too, as I have my trailing edge with the curve upwards typical of plank aerofoils all nicely sanded in:eek:

Jhitesma, thanks for that! I don't think this is a good bird to learn to slope with though... it would be like learning to fly motor with a Sbach! Try learning to slope on not too aggressive days with a Bixler to learn how the wind works, or a Radian, or even with the FT Simple Soarer for something cheap to build! You need to get used to how wind variations change the flight envelope and such, then get into something more extravagent :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I will do you the favor of showing you what happens if you start with too difficult of a plane! LOL :black_eyed:

I tried the sealer yesterday. Will try again as I was working after dark and maybe it didn't dry well before the second coat. It does make the paper stick, but it didn't increase the strength of it so much. How many coats are typical for a balsa/tissue builds?

Anyway I have like two pints left :p

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Are you applying it direct? Usually you have to dilute it in a little acetone. Sand finely between coats' and the number of coats is discretional... some people apply 2, others 10!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Well... some more photos of what I have done for the moment.

Sanded down the wing root to the right size so it's now just right for the fuselage once I get the final piece into place... just waiting on that damn resistor!!! Got all the encasing on, the ply for the screw is also filed down and is giving a nice strong base for the screw head to rest against without "digging" itself into the balsa.

Fiu24.jpg

And another shot of the plane together, all in all I'm very pleased with the outcome. Just have to finish sanding the leading edge of the right hand wing (still), and then glue the right hand wingtip into place, thenI have both wingtips to sand down like a mad woman!!:D

Fiu25.jpg

Y con esto y un bizcocho, hasta mañana a las ocho!!:eek:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Are you applying it direct? Usually you have to dilute it in a little acetone. Sand finely between coats' and the number of coats is discretional... some people apply 2, others 10!

I had about 1 part sealer 2 parts paint thinner - maybe it wasn't rich enough. But I noticed the sealer didn't soak through the paper, only through half of it... I didn't do any sanding though - but the sealer is made to be sanded between coats so I'll do that next round :) Along with letting it dry thoroughly...

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
... a cup of tea, a movie, a piece of balsa, a coupl of shaped sanding blocks, and some down time... that's all I need to get dangerous!:D

I glued the block onto the wingtip of the right wing, leaving this hideous thing to see...

Fiu1wing.jpg Fiu2wing.jpg

And there sat the left wing ready for me to sand the wingtip... so I sanded the top to the shape required...

Fiu3wing.jpg

Then came the moment to turn the wing over... because of the tapering curve, I had to leave flat forward of the spar. But then came behind the spar... PLAYTIME! So, start sanding away bit by bit, spending almost an hour on it whilst watching the movie, until I came with an end result that I am happy with and that's going to be hell to duplicate on the other side perfectly!

Fiu4wing.jpg Fiu5wing.jpg Fiu6wing.jpg

I think this adds a nice curve to the straight wings,because on this plane, apart from the leading and trailing edges, the entire plane is just a collection of smooth curves. Also, I have no idea how this will affect the flight, buthopefully it will help smooth out microturbulence on the wingtips. Just have to wait and see...

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Beautiful wing tips!
I was just flying a 182 the other day, and was wondering how to make them.

Thanks! A lot of time, pacience and elbow grease!:D you have to take it slow just sanding, because if you use a knife you run the risk of cutting too much off, and adding new pieces isn't easy with the curve.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Who's offering?:D
"Y con esto y un bizcocho, hasta mañana a las ocho!!" Maybe my Spanish is rusty, but I figured this was "and so with this and a cupcake, until tomorrow at 8..." so I was wondering who had the cupcakes...and why weren't they sharing?!?

I would share my cupcakes with you, Epi!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Bizcocho is a spongecake... magdalena is a cupcake:eek:

Just thought I'd let you know... I have the right wing matching now:eek:

Now I can balance the wings!

Fiu7wing.jpg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
:eek:

Just balanced the wings, and I have the epoxy drying right now... I used lead shots that fit just between the 2 spars on the outmost ribs and they have to be pushed in... so nice and snug. What I can't believe is there was that much difference betweeln the two leading edges... I had to fill the entire space (14 shots)! I gount to be a slightly heavy bird, but no problem, just means needs windier days:eek: I calculate a finished weight of about 100g plus electronics and the lead for CG, which I don't think will be that much if any, as the battery is lighter, and going in the nose instead of under the wings... still need to get it and make it though! All in al, maybe a flight weight of 150g, which although is heavy for a DLG (for future reference), is geat for a sloper... probably manage 25-30km/h winds even!

One thing I was thinking of, especially if you're going to slingshot it on flatlands or a slope beginner like Colorex, might be an idea to add 3 or 4 degrees of dihedral to the wings... it will make it a little more dosile in the air, stop it from spinning easily and all that. The guy who made the one in the first image of the thread added a couple of degrees to that one for aesthetical reasons, and he's so pleased with his he has it as his avatar!

Hmmm.... I wonder how it would go with a couple of degrees of anhideral? With that it might even start to look like a Klingon Bird of Prey:D

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
One thing I was thinking of, especially if you're going to slingshot it on flatlands or a slope beginner like Colorex, might be an idea to add 3 or 4 degrees of dihedral to the wings... it will make it a little more dosile in the air, stop it from spinning easily and all that. The guy who made the one in the first image of the thread added a couple of degrees to that one for aesthetical reasons, and he's so pleased with his he has it as his avatar!

I was thinking about this and the possibilities of doing it... I guess it would just require some sanding of the wing joiner... Or is there a better way maybe?

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
No, sanding of the wing joiner would be the best way... Just remember that whatever you sand off the bottom, to add on the top where the spar goes (just the groove, doesn't need it on the smaller piece of the sandwich) otherwise you'll end up with a gap betweel the top spar and the wing joiner next to rib N2

Also you might need to sand a little angle on the fuselage wing seat so it sits well. And also, the changes on the ribs is best made on that central half rib, and that will leave both ribs N1 intact to take the force. You might have to sand the root of the tail a touch to get it yo fit in properly, but only really the root

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
No, sanding of the wing joiner would be the best way... Just remember that whatever you sand off the bottom, to add on the top where the spar goes (just the groove, doesn't need it on the smaller piece of the sandwich) otherwise you'll end up with a gap betweel the top spar and the wing joiner next to rib N2

Also you might need to sand a little angle on the fuselage wing seat so it sits well. And also, the changes on the ribs is best made on that central half rib, and that will leave both ribs N1 intact to take the force. You might have to sand the root of the tail a touch to get it yo fit in properly, but only really the root

Well, I think my build will be quite sloppy in the end so all that may not make a difference. But I'll make an effort :)