The Tiny Whoop of Scratch Built Planes

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
UPDATE
The weather looks good for a maiden for v2 this weekend. Now I just need to build it, I’ll probably spend tonight finishing up another build then I’ll finish this on Friday and maiden both if there is enough daylight left.
231C4DF5-B96A-45B5-9346-8BDF3781D6D6.png

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
V2 BUILD FOR BUILDUARY

Okay guys it’s fridsy and I’m building and it’s looking like the maiden will be on Saturday. Here’s the progress so far
75003338-B4A8-4B61-ABD8-E67CF24A8090.png
I got v1 gutted and the electronics ready for v2!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Okay here is my progress so far
1E50B83F-4E19-495E-A095-5164BED80E3C.png
I also realized that I need to add the power pod to the plans so I will try and do this later tonight. Plus I might do a quick edit of v1 flying.
Here is a test fit of where the motor placement will be
0B5A734F-9766-4DAE-95FD-AD551D98FA6B.png

I also learned that you can use hot glue and paper if you don’t have any tape handy (I’m not building at home right now)
52817D80-6459-4E84-951B-A442EC80A5D7.png

I am also just using 5g servos and a regular reviver so no special receivers or servos are needed.
FF46DB0B-5340-449D-BF43-2B6A3731CECD.png
I will hopefully finish the build tonight when I get home, and do you guys want me to edit the flight video or work on designing my next plane? (I’ll give you a hint, it’s either going to be a micro FT flyer/nutball or a micro motor glider)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Okay I was not able to finish V2 tonight but I have updated the plans
Please build one and let me know how it was!
I need input for these plans in-order to make better plans in the future so please build one as a chuck glider and let me know how the experience was!

Also a little side note, I need to work on my car tomorrow but afterwards I can hopefully finish this and move on to my next build-uary build! Also which one do you guys want to see first, the Micro Flyer or the Micro Glider?

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Okay I have completed a successful flight! I will post the video later, right now I have to edit it!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Okay here is the video
It doesn’t like 10-15mph winds but when it was calm it flew great! I can’t wait to get this in a gym or fly it around fpv at the field!

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
i dont have electronics for that but i might take a shot at glider-ifying it! (that should be a word btw...)

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so where can i find plans or instructions on building it? is it an ft article or on the forums somewhare?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yes, that was actually going to become the flying billboard, well the wing anyways... In combination with the motor and some fins it should be cool, I have to do some tests first with a smaller version over the summer.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Yes, that was actually going to become the flying billboard, well the wing anyways... In combination with the motor and some fins it should be cool, I have to do some tests first with a smaller version over the summer.

cool! cant wait! whats the wingspan again?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Okay I flew her again today in little to no wind and I found some design problems.
1. It has bad tip stalls
2. Oscillating stalls are too and lead to tip stalls (great mix am I right?)
Good news
I think both said issues are due to the wing
image.jpg
I think since i tried to make the whole wing like flaps it is causing this issue, I’ll try and fix this and I’ll be back with results later.
Also Daniel it’s around 8’4”

Michael9865

Elite member
On your plans it looks like you have no right thrust and no down thrust, correct? Is your motor is a 1306? Thank you!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Okay I think I have Figured out all of the bugs (hopefully) and have completed the designing process! Now time to make a legit video about it and make an article! Also here is an updated set of the plans here!
The attack angle of the wing was definitely the issue, I fixed it by altering the fuse slightly. Another issue was the torque of the motor causing it to turn, I fixed that by adding 3/4 of an inch to one wingtip and now it flies great! Also the CG has changed significantly as well, it is further back on the wing, all of that info will be in a build video and an article, so keep an eye out for The Discovery on the articles!

Also, If you have an hour or two and want an awesome plane give this one a try and let me know how everything goes! Also if you have any issues with the plans.