The Tiny Whoop of Scratch Built Planes

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
DUDE YOU NAILED IT WITH THIS DESIGN!!!!! 1" ball of clay in the nose to get the CG and BOOM!!!! PERFECT ON THE FIRST GLIDE!!! this would be a perfect glider to teach young children basic build techniques!! i want to do a build day with my 4H club. would you mind if i used your design? it might not happen but it would be the perfect glider if i did do it!.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Go for it Daniel! Share the design as much as you want! Also I will be working on my other designs for the build-uary tonight then after my entries are done I'll get back to finishing up the details of this build either here, or on an article.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
For the RC version I put it inside of the fuse about 2”, had a popsicle stick on the bottom of the boom for rigidity, and for the RC one I had to remove the foam from the bottom of the fuselage so that there was a enough clearance for the prop, but you won’t have to worry about that.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
ok. i think i might stick with the bbq skewer way though because i think with the abuse that these will receive from kids that a little extra weight in exchange for something on the inside of the foam with go a long ways. i can just see the tails falling off as the popsicle stick rips up the paper.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey, this thing rocks!

Just to let you know that we'll be featuring this design in the first proper community feature article on the main FT site this coming Friday. Congratulations! It's a really neat looking model that would be great to highlight. I love the way it's a cuter mini version of lots of big FPV platforms out there. :)

If you have any extra photos you'd like to have included in the article, let me know here and I can include them. I'll also be linking to this thread and your YouTube channel.

Many thanks!
James
-FT Site Editor.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Wow, thank you! I can't wait to see it, also feel free to include the videos I have on it in the article as well. I will probably shoot the build video for it tomorrow night. I'll get some good photos then, with a nice freshly made plane. And if I have time I might shoot a proper episode on it around the end of February.
Thank you again and have a great day!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Hey, this thing rocks!

Just to let you know that we'll be featuring this design in the first proper community feature article on the main FT site this coming Friday. Congratulations! It's a really neat looking model that would be great to highlight. I love the way it's a cuter mini version of lots of big FPV platforms out there. :)

If you have any extra photos you'd like to have included in the article, let me know here and I can include them. I'll also be linking to this thread and your YouTube channel.

Many thanks!
James
-FT Site Editor.

HEY CONGRATS RYAN!!!!!!!!!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Wow, thank you! I can't wait to see it, also feel free to include the videos I have on it in the article as well. I will probably shoot the build video for it tomorrow night. I'll get some good photos then, with a nice freshly made plane. And if I have time I might shoot a proper episode on it around the end of February.

cant wait to see it!!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube

No problem!

Yeah some good HD shots of the model would be super useful for the article.

Many thanks :)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Foamtest open the pic up in your computer, then Snip it or Screen capture. It will dramatically reduce your file size making it ready for posting. (I want to see the photos too)

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Foamtest open the pic up in your computer, then Snip it or Screen capture. It will dramatically reduce your file size making it ready for posting. (I want to see the photos too)

if you have ms paint (the original, not 3D) on your machine then you can use that to resize to exact pixels until you get the size needed. that is how i managed to upload my profile picture and avatar.

Michael9865

Elite member
foamtest, I am finally getting around to making your design. I want to make it for our indoor season. The one question I have now is how far did you put the aft section of the fuselage into the forward section?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I am so sorry for the late reply, I havent had a lot of time since college has started. I put mine about 2" into the fuselage but feel free to experiment with different lengths. I also used a popsicle stick for reinforcement of the tail.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Post some pics if you can! I would love to see another one flying since mine is out of commission, along with the rest of my fleet at the moment.

I really like your design and thank you so much for your effort on the build and flight test videos!

I was wondering about your hot knife - can you let us know the brand and model? I'd like to get one.

Cheers!