The Triplane Tribuild! (Catchy, huh?)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
*Cue dramatic music and deep, gravelly voice* THREE people who have become friends thanks to this Forum Family and a love of RC flight. ONE plane with THREE wings. The top wing is named @mayan. He is the innovator and he needs to be out in the wind. The middle wing is named @buzzbomb. He's in the middle so the other two can keep an eye on him, he tends to get crazy sometimes. The bottom wing is named @kilroy07 . He is the level-headed base with more knowledge and experience than the other two, and upon whom the other two depend. *music fades, gravelly voice fades with the music.*

We are going to build the DR1 together. Why? For fun, of course! We'll share our build pictures here in this thread, our trials and tribulations (mine anyway) here in this thread. Then we're going to maiden those wonderful birds and share that video. Here in this thread.

We invite you to come along with us on that journey. No timetable. No limits. Just family, building and flying planes together, even though we may be half a planet away. So. Come play with us! Build a DR1 and post it up in this thread. Join us in the madness which is soon to commence!

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'd like to join in on the DR1 build. Can I be the prop nut? Cause I'm pretty good at putting spin on most anything, and it crosses the finish line first, ( most of the time).
*Pulls the cowl of office tight about his shoulders, as he stands and addresses the seeming madman (who is also his RL uncle) at the foot of the dias.*

Foolish man! There is no "finish line" here! (Well, not yet anyway. That IS a fun thought!) You address this august body most prematurely! We have yet to begin our builds! (Thanks for joining in, Uncle!)

However. Your enthusiasm does not go unappreciated. You shall henceforth be known (in this post, anyway) as "Prop, The Nut!" Congratulations my good man! You may leave now, and donations are appreciated at the door.

:ROFLMAO:

OK. That was me having some fun at my Uncle's expense. Don't worry. We're all done with that now. Let's just build some DR1's and post pics and videos! :D

mayan

Legendary member
I'm starting my build sometime over the next two days :), looking forward to seeing the rest of the family join in on our build :).

*Pulls the cowl of office tight about his shoulders, as he stands and addresses the seeming madman (who is also his RL uncle) at the foot of the dias.*

Foolish man! There is no "finish line" here! (Well, not yet anyway. That IS a fun thought!) You address this august body most prematurely! We have yet to begin our builds! (Thanks for joining in, Uncle!)

However. Your enthusiasm does not go unappreciated. You shall henceforth be known (in this post, anyway) as "Prop, The Nut!" Congratulations my good man! You may leave now, and donations are appreciated at the door.

:ROFLMAO:

OK. That was me having some fun at my Uncle's expense. Don't worry. We're all done with that now. Let's just build some DR1's and post pics and videos! :D
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:. That's a good way to end my night shift :), thank you.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Tomorrow I will work on electronics.

My RC adventure started with the FT Dr.1 years ago... it didn't go well... Not enough attention to alignment, weight, CG etc.
But, as I crashed, I learned...

My build will be slightly lighter than my first which was powered by an F pack...
(Which, looking back at my first videos, I probably didn't do myself any favors by running at almost full tilt!)

So for this build I'm going with a spare motor for a foam 800mm Mustang I have on a shelf.
A Turnigy 2730 1500KV motor.

I'm going to solder it directly to the ESC.
IMG_8638[1].JPG
Since this is a 3 channel build I don't think I will bother with a separate BEC... But that might change as I play around with it tomorrow.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Tomorrow I will work on electronics.

My RC adventure started with the FT Dr.1 years ago... it didn't go well... Not enough attention to alignment, weight, CG etc.
But, as I crashed, I learned...

My build will be slightly lighter than my first which was powered by an F pack...
(Which, looking back at my first videos, I probably didn't do myself any favors by running at almost full tilt!)

So for this build I'm going with a spare motor for a foam 800mm Mustang I have on a shelf.
A Turnigy 2730 1500KV motor.

I'm going to solder it directly to the ESC.
View attachment 129429
Since this is a 3 channel build I don't think I will bother with a separate BEC... But that might change as I play around with it tomorrow.
You sneaky bugger, you! Already changing it up. I love it! :love:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What we doing changes too? I need to check the build video and find something to change!
Of course you do! Just building and flying a darn DR1 is just too darn simple for you! :love: I will quote myself. "No timetable. No limits." You and Kilroy came up with the idea for the Triple Triplane build. I'm just here to build it because I loved it so much in the Phoenix sim. I've wanted to fly it very badly, ever since.

I want to take that triplane out and put it in the air and just get absolutely stupid with it. I want to play chicken with the ground with so many consecutive loops and rolls, that the ground doesn't know whether I am coming or going.

Modify it to your heart's content. Or get really stupid, and don't modify it at all! (Noodle that one for a bit.)

Anyone who is joining or thinking of joining? Bring it! Make it a monoplane or a biplane. Put Spit wings and Mustang wings and frackin' bat wings on it if you like! There are no limits to this Challenge.

If YOU feel like it is a DR1 that you modified. Good enough! :p

kilroy07

Legendary member
Quick update;

This is where I am stopping tonight... (I have another project that is LOOoong overdue...)
IMG_8658.JPG

1st was the powerpod...
IMG_8640.JPG (Nice and tidy.)
It only pulls 6.8(ish) amps at full throttle so that ESC should be fine (saw some sag in my battery... might have to pick up a new one for the maiden.) While I was hardwiring the motor wires, I also upgraded the capacitor to help with brown outs (covered by shrink-wrap now.)

I am trying a couple of new things... we shall see how they turn out.
I bought some of the regular foamboard at Hobby Lobby, pretty similar to Elmer's or what I understand you all have in the U.K.
My plan is to use that for the tail feathers... it's heavier (for sure) but a LOT stronger and stiffer as well...
(Time will tell if that was a bad choice or not.) I've already cleared off my workbench for the ignored project, but I will weight both and see just how much heaver it is.. That said, I am pulling paper to help (admittedly not much...) :rolleyes:
IMG_8641.JPG

This reminded me that @mayan are going to be building Corsairs after this... :LOL:
IMG_8642.JPG

As with all my builds now, I plan on ironing the edges...
This heaver stuff acts a tad different than the Adam's though... I might have had the iron too hot... :confused:
Anyway here you can see the Rudder, the main joint hasn't been ironed yet.
IMG_8643.JPG
And the joint finished.
IMG_8645.JPG
I still run the hot glue down the seam, but ironing the paper instead of cutting a bevel just feels SO much stronger!

More closeups of ironing;
IMG_8649.JPG Leading edge Before. IMG_8651.JPG And after.
IMG_8652.JPG Elevator's trailing edge came out nicely.
IMG_8655.JPG Tip of Elevator was a challenge. IMG_8656.JPG
You can see this heaver foam does not finish nearly as nicely as the Adam's I think it's because the paper is like poasterboard and not thin like Adam's. :confused: I'm still glad it did it, but I might come back and revisit the edge... (I'm thinking White Gorilla glue.)

Oh yea, I'm taking a bit more time making sure things are aligned this time!
IMG_8657.JPG

So, Fuselage is mostly done (first pic.)
But that's all I'm going to get done tonight.
Later Everyone!

sundown57

Legendary member
my daughter has, or should I say USED to have a hair straightening iron. Just like a flat iron but it gets hot on both sides. and I mean really hot. Plus it is hinged so all you need to do is put it over the foamboard and it melts the foam together on both sides at once putting the seam in the center. also its a lot easier to go around corners with it without wrinkling it

Attachments

• IMG_3600.JPG
    IMG_3600.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Quick update;

This is where I am stopping tonight... (I have another project that is LOOoong overdue...)
View attachment 129459

1st was the powerpod...
View attachment 129460 (Nice and tidy.)
It only pulls 6.8(ish) amps at full throttle so that ESC should be fine (saw some sag in my battery... might have to pick up a new one for the maiden.) While I was hardwiring the motor wires, I also upgraded the capacitor to help with brown outs (covered by shrink-wrap now.)

I am trying a couple of new things... we shall see how they turn out.
I bought some of the regular foamboard at Hobby Lobby, pretty similar to Elmer's or what I understand you all have in the U.K.
My plan is to use that for the tail feathers... it's heavier (for sure) but a LOT stronger and stiffer as well...
(Time will tell if that was a bad choice or not.) I've already cleared off my workbench for the ignored project, but I will weight both and see just how much heaver it is.. That said, I am pulling paper to help (admittedly not much...) :rolleyes:
View attachment 129461

This reminded me that @mayan are going to be building Corsairs after this... :LOL:
View attachment 129462

As with all my builds now, I plan on ironing the edges...
This heaver stuff acts a tad different than the Adam's though... I might have had the iron too hot... :confused:
Anyway here you can see the Rudder, the main joint hasn't been ironed yet.
View attachment 129463
And the joint finished.
View attachment 129464
I still run the hot glue down the seam, but ironing the paper instead of cutting a bevel just feels SO much stronger!

More closeups of ironing;
View attachment 129466 Leading edge Before. View attachment 129467 And after.
View attachment 129468 Elevator's trailing edge came out nicely.
View attachment 129469 Tip of Elevator was a challenge. View attachment 129470
You can see this heaver foam does not finish nearly as nicely as the Adam's I think it's because the paper is like poasterboard and not thin like Adam's. :confused: I'm still glad it did it, but I might come back and revisit the edge... (I'm thinking White Gorilla glue.)

Oh yea, I'm taking a bit more time making sure things are aligned this time!
View attachment 129471

So, Fuselage is mostly done (first pic.)
But that's all I'm going to get done tonight.
Later Everyone!
Looking really good! It's a shame the heavier foamboard doesn't iron as well. You decided to put that on the tail end of a plane that is notoriously tail heavy? That should be interesting! :D That's gonna make for some good video!

mayan

Legendary member
Good morning had at least one bottle of wine last night so building anything wouldn’t have been a good idea :).

@kilroy07, @buzzbomb great progress on the builds :) you have a head start but I might just sneak up on you from behind. You all know that when I start a build I am on a roll that can’t be stopped:).

I got somethings I have to do around the house and a Mini Edge build to finish don’t like leaving things in the middle. Then I have an afternoon shift at work, so if I manage to finish the mini edge build I might take the pieces of the DR1 to work and start working on it there. That is if it doesn’t rain cause I walk to work and don’t want to walk with FB not water resistant.

mayan

Legendary member
Then I have an afternoon shift at work, so if I manage to finish the mini edge build I might take the pieces of the DR1 to work and start working on it there.
I haven’t finished the Mini Edge build so I am taking that to work to finish it off, I’ll probably finish that during my shift if it stays calm. I have though set a date to start building my DR1 for our tribuild Monday the 22/04 I have the night shift and should have also finished my paint job for the Mini Edge too, so stay tuned :).

sundown57

Legendary member
Started my Dr 1 today. Previous experience with this plane taught me that the landing gear is, shall we say less then adequate even for a decent landing. And just a small crash will save you all the trouble of having to make a bi plane from scratch. So for a while now i was thinking that when i had time and nothing to do i would see if i could strengthen it up a bit. But was always afraid it would be too heavy or just not fly at all so never did it. Now with this thread, I'm thinking it would be a good time to experiment, If it works everyone will benefit and if it doesn't everyone will know not to try it.plus i can get input from others on here. My plan is to find a way to run some hobby plywood all the way through the plane and incorporate both the cabane strut and landing gear all in one. updates to follow as they happen

Attachments

• IMG_3603.JPG
    IMG_3603.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3604.JPG
    IMG_3604.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 0