The Triplane Tribuild! (Catchy, huh?)

mayan

Legendary member
Don't mind the time stamp on my cheapo camera, this is from this morning.
Landings are always a tiny bit of a face plant, so I'm thinking of gear or at least some sort of desert skids. Otherwise, I love this plane! I'm a fan of the DR1 now, and will have a special spot in my hangar for this or at least some form of triplane. Ailerons would make it a bit more interesting, but hard to build on multi wing and more challenging to fly. For RET, this is one of the more interesting planes I've flown, and actually very easy. As someone who loves high alpha, I'm pleasantly surprised and right at home with the DR1's capability in this area. It's just a great, stable, no-brainer slow flyer when it's somewhat dialed in right, that can turn on a dime and maneuver nicely in smaller spaces and patterns.
Nice fly man! You really got it dialed properly. And that high alpha flying is kick ass! Loved the video thank you for reviving this thread.

A wonderful flight! I don't think any of us have high alpha'd the DR1 the way you were doing it. You're right, it seemed to take to it like a natural. My DR1 still lives, it just got stripped for other projects. When I've got a free F pack, I'm going to try to put ailerons on it. That should be a riot!
Mine too! I also need to hook it up with a motor and take it out again, but that won’t be any time soon because the winds are too high for this little floaty bird.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Ahhh, that one :), yeah, awesome plane! I may have to give that a shot, but it's got some stiff competition from @FoamyDM 's tailless bird for the FTFC20 as far as multi wing goes. Plus, there's my "super secret" future multi wing project that @Grifflyer already predicted I'd want to try :LOL:
I wonder did anyone build a Dunne D.8 for themselves yet?
edit "BD.8" to "Dunne D.8"

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll have to do more research into how others run their DR1. I'm hearing a lot about high torque setups with C pack motors and big diameter two bladed props, but I went for a low torque setup with the F pack 2205 2300kV and small diameter, multi-blade props. I personally like the low torque setup for how smooth it flies and for great high alpha, but I have not flown it any other way, so it could be my personal bias. I tested some 5x5.5x3 props that were very aggressive. They added torque and decreased handling, but made high alpha a little bit more effortless and a little bit less requiring of precise throttle manipulation. Personally, I prefer the 5x4x4. Much smoother all around, great stability and handling and very low torque. The high alpha is just as capable as the 5x5.5x3, but requires a hair more finesse with the throttle. Just thought I'd update here and share my findings, and mention again how much I'm enjoying my DR1:).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'll have to do more research into how others run their DR1. I'm hearing a lot about high torque setups with C pack motors and big diameter two bladed props, but I went for a low torque setup with the F pack 2205 2300kV and small diameter, multi-blade props. I personally like the low torque setup for how smooth it flies and for great high alpha, but I have not flown it any other way, so it could be my personal bias. I tested some 5x5.5x3 props that were very aggressive. They added torque and decreased handling, but made high alpha a little bit more effortless and a little bit less requiring of precise throttle manipulation. Personally, I prefer the 5x4x4. Much smoother all around, great stability and handling and very low torque. The high alpha is just as capable as the 5x5.5x3, but requires a hair more finesse with the throttle. Just thought I'd update here and share my findings, and mention again how much I'm enjoying my DR1:).
You haven't even scratched the surface yet! Stick mashing is where it shines! :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
You haven't even scratched the surface yet! Stick mashing is where it shines! :)
I already do a fair bit, although I imagine that's where a high torque setup would provide more exciting results. Opposite ends of the spectrum, a high torque big proppin' stick mashin' machine, or my quiet, low torque, excess thrust, super smooth and stable high alpha style. There's a whole range of balance points and other ways to tweak this bird, and that's what we're here to find out, for science:geek:!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Alright, I had a birthday and one of my gifts was the Triplne SBK! I have a bunch of other projects backed up (still waiting on the needle cutter - I ordered it over a month ago so it should be arriving soon hopefully... :rolleyes:) but this is going to take first priority. I’m super excited since I’ve heard a lot of good things about it from @mayan and @Vimana89 !

Vimana89

Legendary member
Alright, I had a birthday and one of my gifts was the Triplne SBK! I have a bunch of other projects backed up (still waiting on the needle cutter - I ordered it over a month ago so it should be arriving soon hopefully... :rolleyes:) but this is going to take first priority. I’m super excited since I’ve heard a lot of good things about it from @mayan and @Vimana89 !
It's super fun. It can be a bit hard to dial in if you don't know what to expect, but it should be easy for you to get running smooth especially with our input. Try to get the CG really forward, and still be ready for it to balloon a bit, it might even need a tiny bit of negative reflex to fly good. Maybe a couple degrees extra down thrust from what you'd normally use(but I think if you are using the kit it is factored in).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Use a 5” prop 2 blades or 3 and you’ll be fine. With a 3S 1000mah battery you’ll get awesome flight time too :).
Great - I was planning on using a 1000 3s so I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one and that it works well. I also will be using 9g servos - did anyone else do that? I got the 2206 2500 kv FT radial motor to use on it. I also got some 5 inch triblade props so it sounds like those will be perfect! I should probably order some more receivers ers too...

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Great - I was planning on using a 1000 3s so I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one and that it works well. I also will be using 9g servos - did anyone else do that? I got the 2206 2500 kv FT radial motor to use on it. I also got some 5 inch triblade props so it sounds like those will be perfect! I should probably order some more receivers ers too...
I see you saw the 2206 for sale and couldn't resist too ;)

Jackson T

Elite member
Happy birthday!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
The door opened slowly. A shadowy figure glided silently toward where the others were gathered. He laid his creation on the dias, then slipped away as silently as he had come..

Screenshot_20200511-211929.png

It's not a Dr.I...
... it's better.