The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Alright, here she is! :D
6639D55B-6B38-4248-A762-960DC7D45C65.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Alright, here’s what I did for landing gear. I used some basswood I had and cut out two 2.5” circles. Then I cut out 4 circles out of black foamboard. I drilled holes in the center and then used a coffee straw to reinforce the hub. I finished it off by running a strip of gorilla tape down the center. They work really well!
A6FF3575-CEB6-47A4-ADA8-1AC741863AE3.jpeg
7B914FF4-395E-4151-86BA-D7F42AEDB573.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I maidened it! I was impatient so I took it up in our small backyard. I can fly most of my 1s umx planes in it, but the 2s umx birds are pretty tight. Even some of the 1s planes I don’t fly in our backyard. Anyways I flew the triplane in there and it flew amazing! It just floats along and was a lot of fun to fly! It was a little tight but definitely doable. I even pulled a loop, although it was sketchy with the space I had... :ROFLMAO: Then later in the afternoon I took it to the field and wow - I saw it’s other side! Both flights were on a 3s 1000 mah lipo, radial 2206 motor and a 6x4.5 prop. It has limitless vertical, insane power, extremely maneuverability - borderline 3-D. As far as the wheels do, they do great on hard surfaces but as soon as you land on grass it flips over. Take-offs and landings on a hard smooth surface are really great though!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well I maidened it! I was impatient so I took it up in our small backyard. I can fly most of my 1s umx planes in it, but the 2s umx birds are pretty tight. Even some of the 1s planes I don’t fly in our backyard. Anyways I flew the triplane in there and it flew amazing! It just floats along and was a lot of fun to fly! It was a little tight but definitely doable. I even pulled a loop, although it was sketchy with the space I had... :ROFLMAO: Then later in the afternoon I took it to the field and wow - I saw it’s other side! Both flights were on a 3s 1000 mah lipo, radial 2206 motor and a 6x4.5 prop. It has limitless vertical, insane power, extremely maneuverability - borderline 3-D. As far as the wheels do, they do great on hard surfaces but as soon as you land on grass it flips over. Take-offs and landings on a hard smooth surface are really great though!
Vid or it didn't happen.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar I believe you even without the video, know what you mean by deal with it lately I don’t have energy for it either.
Yeah, I have a week and a half left for school and have a bunch of homework to get done so I really haven’t had much rc time. I’m just glad that I was able to maiden the triplane! I still need to add the cowling bit I plan on making it magnetic but I need to get some magnets first. The needle cutter finally arrived so that’ll be my first project once I’m finished with school. Then I can let the builds commence!

OliverW

Legendary member
Yeah, I have a week and a half left for school and have a bunch of homework to get done so I really haven’t had much rc time. I’m just glad that I was able to maiden the triplane! I still need to add the cowling bit I plan on making it magnetic but I need to get some magnets first. The needle cutter finally arrived so that’ll be my first project once I’m finished with school. Then I can let the builds commence!
I'm on my last week of school!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Move the wheels farther ahead.

mayan

Legendary member
Reminding you that you still owe me a build :).

Apple Pie

Elite member
Ok, I’ve been on a plane cutting spree and now I’ve got one of these cut out for me and an SE5 for my son to build this summer. Checking with the gang here on thoughts about the setup. I’m definitely a four channel fan vs three channel and wondering if there is any point to adding ailerons to this build or leave it stock? Also, would this be a decent “trainer” for flying buddy box with my dad if I leave it as three channel (he’s 75 and just learning to fly RC after a winter of practicing on the simulator). Will be running 2205 2300kv motors on both with 3S 1000 batteries and choices of 5x5.5x3 or 6x3 or 6x4.5 props.

All opinions welcome 😀

mayan

Legendary member
Happy to read your post and to answer all your questions.
1) You can connect ailerons to it just think of how FT did it on this episode also a tri plane but not the DR1.
2) It could be a trainer if you can fly it indoors and if you want it to be a trainer I’d go with a MT1806 motor or something equivalent.
3) As for prop I had it fly good with a 5x4.5x3, but do your own testing and see what you like better. This was the only prop that didn’t make it ballon on me :).

Hope I didn’t miss anything.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, I’ve been on a plane cutting spree and now I’ve got one of these cut out for me and an SE5 for my son to build this summer. Checking with the gang here on thoughts about the setup. I’m definitely a four channel fan vs three channel and wondering if there is any point to adding ailerons to this build or leave it stock? Also, would this be a decent “trainer” for flying buddy box with my dad if I leave it as three channel (he’s 75 and just learning to fly RC after a winter of practicing on the simulator). Will be running 2205 2300kv motors on both with 3S 1000 batteries and choices of 5x5.5x3 or 6x3 or 6x4.5 props.

All opinions welcome 😀
It’s surprisingly maneuverable as a 3 channel, and I don’t really miss ailerons. The motor/battery setup you listed is perfect! I’d use a 2s for training your dad though. I used the 6x4.5 prop they recommended. It works well for me, so I haven’t tried any others yet.