THE ULTIMATE C - PACK!!!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
THE ULTIMATE C - POWER PACK!!!

I have designed the ultimate c pack! Unlimited vertical power with a Storch weighing over a 1,000 grams, hovering, instant power and 8 - 10 min run times with a 2200 40c 3S battery. I experimented with the Storch and came up with this and it works so well, I built a second C- pack for my Sportster. The stock "Flight Test" C-pack works ok, is good for slow flying, but lacks power for hovering and fast vertical, so this design takes care of that.

You need to make the motor fit in the power pod, but it does fit and is solid the way I mount it as shown. Just a little drilling and hacking is needed. Its also a tight fit in the Sporster but it does fit with a little foam squishing. It weighs a little more, but the power makes up for that! I went vertical at full throttle for 10 seconds with the Storch and had no overheat issues, and actually lost sight of the Storch...Its like a rocket ship! Here's the build pics and pricing. oh, use a 9x6 apc style prop.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0127.JPG

Last edited:

RCMAN

First time poster! I have been watching this forum forever and finally got around to commenting. I love nhk750's information and videos! I get more info from your stuff, it's great! I recently built a Storch and with your mods, the thing flys fantastic, especially this mod! I cant believe that no one else commented on this thread and that is what got me out of the shawdows. I have to say, this motor and esc gives me more power than some of my larger 3D planes, what a fun combo to fly! I am, however, afraid I'm going to rip the wings off with this much thrust, so I'm going to try your wing mod too for some extra strengh. Thanks for the free info and great ideas! Also thanks Flight Test, you guys are doing a great service for us RC bums!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks MAN! I just like to post stuff so it's archived, so I can remember what I did, and also share findings with others so they dont have to struggle like me... welcome to the forum!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Just weighed my Sportster with the new power pod installed. 55 grams heavier, so 965 grams AUP with a 2200, 3s, 40 C battery. Not bad extra weight considering the power increase. Someday, when it stops raining, I will get to fly it...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I use the Cricut vinyl sheets and cut them out with a razor blade. Don't use the rolls of vinyl as they are hard to mark and work with, the flat sheets work better.
Here is an example of what I buy, but I usually just buy them in single sheets at Michaels or Joanne's fabrics.

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Adhesive-Sheets-Assorted-Metallic-Silhouette/dp/B01MDOE1PM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489343532&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cricut+vinyl+sheets&psc=1

I am no artist, and just cut the tiger stripes out randomly to make it look like a Tiger. It seemed to work ok and looks cool. You can actually purchase a Cricut cutter machine for around $250 that cuts the decals out with very fine precision to whatever you can imagine...but that is a lot of $ for cutting decals...I just Minwaxed and painted the whole airplane with Orange Rustoleum for the base color.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Argg, I just remembered I added 10 grams of weight in the nose as its tailheavy. So, only a 45 gram increase in weight with the power pack mod.

RCMAN

The Sportster build looks pretty cool, what do you think of it. I did see your build thread. Have you flown it yet with the new upgrade?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Havnt flown it yet, it just wont stop raining here in Seattle. I did get my Tiny Trainer out between storms on Sunday though...

The Sporster was a difficult scratch build, lots of curves and I only maidened it so far, so the jury is still out on how it flys. With all this rain I have been fine tuning all my planes, so I will see how the new power plant performs in the sporster, I think it will be very good!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That tiger stripe looks so cool. Such a clean build. I would be scared to put something that pretty in the air. of course I am sure your skills are well above mine hehe.

I do have one question. As paranoid as I am about safety and fires and such are you not worried about that super long prop shaft exploding a battery in a crash? I know for the longest time I was crazy about flying a quad with the battery exposed as they are. I have recently gotten into foamie builds and my first attempts scrunched up the power pod something fierce with just a 800 mah battery trying to borough its way to the motor.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So once minwaxed, the spray paints do well on the DTFB? (yours looks Marvelous *Billy Crystal-y*)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, paint sticks very well to minwax, just let the Minwax cure for a week or more before painting. I also let the paint cure for a week or more before applying decals and handling. After its all cured it will have a hard candy shell like M&M candy!

The SK3 Turnigy does have a long shaft, but the Sporster has the landing gear bbq sqewer helping to block the battery from slding forward, also I use velcro on the battery and power pod to help keep it in place. But, it is possible to have a failure in a bad crash. Just dont crash, haha. I do have way more time invested in this plane than I planned on also, but what else do you do when it rains every day forever...and its still raining. I always get nervous when flying my scratch built planes. But, after all, its just dollar tree foam!

Liam B

I just got back from Seattle (robotics competition). I liked it up there, but it's a whole lot different from California. It was 40 degrees up there and I was greeted with 75-80 down here when we landed.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It's Extreme Packing Tape.

It's similar to high end duct tape -- dual-direction fiberglass reinforced -- but has a poly-pastic (not sure which) backing instead of a Vinyl plastic, so it has far less stretch.

A bit heavy, but strong. Good for strategic reinforcements.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, I have learned to use the extreme packing tape, available on Amazon, where there are stress or pressure points on the foam board, like the removable landing gear mounting area on the Sportster, power pods, and center wing joint areas amoung other areas. Adds a little weight, but adds durability and longevity.

The Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 motors are great motors and you can't go wrong with them and the Plush 40A ESC. As an alternative, I spend a little less and get these motors from RC Timer:

RC Timer 3530 1400kv http://rctimer.com/product-143.html $13.79 (9x6 APC Prop, or 10x3.8, etc.)

RC Timer 3530 1700kv http://rctimer.com/product-144.html $13.79 (7x6 APC Prop)

I have at least a half dozen each and use them in many planes and have never had a problem with them.

Ray

It's Extreme Packing Tape.

It's similar to high end duct tape -- dual-direction fiberglass reinforced -- but has a poly-pastic (not sure which) backing instead of a Vinyl plastic, so it has far less stretch.

A bit heavy, but strong. Good for strategic reinforcements.

I use E-tape all the time. It's only drawback is it doesn't have UV protection so eventually breaks down with sun exposure. I use it often on EPP Flying wings which are usually covered with laminate which does have UV protection

Ray

MLM0351

thanks guys, between that tip and the Pin holeing technique I saw on here today, already loads of difference in my first build.