Theories and conspiracies of music tuning

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hahah funny you post this. I just watched this video two nights ago about this. Personally I am tone deaf as a brick and I will say other then something in the key of A music played with this 432 hz tuning sounds like :poop:.

Hopefully this video shows why lie it did for me and I went no further. If people think this is harmonious with ANYTHING I can understand why the world is wonky as it currently is. To me its like some one left a box of flat earthers loose in a snoopy piano factory and they came up with this stuff to coincide with Flat earth theory.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ha i play drums and they're a pain to tune.
At least drums have fewer nuts to turn than a piano.... Well, unless you have Neil Peart's kit! I've done a few drum rebuilds in the past, as my inlaws used to buy my Son drum kits all the time, which he would rapidly destroy. (think A-N-I-M-A-L from the Muppets....)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hahah funny you post this. I just watched this video two nights ago about this. Personally I am tone deaf as a brick and I will say other then something in the key of A music played with this 432 hz tuning sounds like :poop:.

Hopefully this video shows why lie it did for me and I went no further. If people think this is harmonious with ANYTHING I can understand why the world is wonky as it currently is. To me its like some one left a box of flat earthers loose in a snoopy piano factory and they came up with this stuff to coincide with Flat earth theory.

I watched the video with a few blind comparisons of 440 vs 432. I honestly couldn't tell the difference and my results were reliable as a coin flip.
Most important is that the instruments are all tuned to the same standard and 12 tone equal temperment. Apps that change the frequencies digitally are completely bogus, since they are adding additional distortion into the audio stream.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ha i play drums and they're a pain to tune.

I started out as a drummer. in 5th grade. took lessons into high school. I stopped playing when I entered the Navy where I picked up guitar as that is FARRR easier to drag around the world then a drum kit although some people do / did. I bought a new Tama Rocker set back in 1998 or '99 to help the drummer that was in the band I was in. I still have that set sitting in the closets here. 1 kick , 1 snare , to mounted toms, a floor tom, dont remember what set of cymbals as I sold either the Zilgians or the Paiste 505 series cymbal set we tried for recording, Iron cobra double kick pedals all on good tama hardware not the thin crappy stuff they sell with basic kits.

Tried to sell it a few times but when crackheads try to low ball me at not even half the cost they could rot in a dump somewhere and I would feel better about it then passing it on to someone like that.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I watched the video with a few blind comparisons of 440 vs 432. I honestly couldn't tell the difference and my results were reliable as a coin flip.

Oh no trust me... 432 non symmetrical tuning is like nails on a chalkboard. It only sounds OK in the key of A anything else.. goes cringe inducing instantly. Think of playing a random guitar in a music outlet that hasnt been intonated, restrung or even tuned in years.

Also the comparisons you may have heard could be someone just drop tuned to 432 and tuned symmetrically NOT in actual 432hz frequency spacing which would be indistinguishable from 440 to most.

Phin G

Elite member
At least drums have fewer nuts to turn than a piano.... Well, unless you have Neil Peart's kit! I've done a few drum rebuilds in the past, as my inlaws used to buy my Son drum kits all the time, which he would rapidly destroy. (think A-N-I-M-A-L from the Muppets....)
Ha i have never broken a skin however they have been stretched to oblivion. I have a custom shell kit. £500 i think and the full sabian cymbols. I hate tuning it

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Oh no trust me... 432 non symmetrical tuning is like nails on a chalkboard. It only sounds OK in the key of A anything else.. goes cringe inducing instantly. Think of playing a random guitar in a music outlet that hasnt been intonated, restrung or even tuned in years.

Also the comparisons you may have heard could be someone just drop tuned to 432 and tuned symmetrically NOT in actual 432hz frequency spacing which would be indistinguishable from 440 to most.
Yeah, well 432 vs 440 in 12 step equal temperment, there is no real difference. If you on the other hand choose something other than the 12ET, YUCK!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ha i have never broken a skin however they have been stretched to oblivion. I have a custom shell kit. £500 i think and the full sabian cymbols. I hate tuning it
Yeah, the boy actually fractured a cymbal. when we went to replace it, I offered him the choice between a Yamaha electronic drum kit, or one cymbal for the same price. He chose the E-kit. Somehow he did manage to damage one of the heads (think piezo pickups), but the kit still works to this day.

Phin G

Elite member
Yeah, the boy actually fractured a cymbal. when we went to replace it, I offered him the choice between an electronic drum kit, or one cymbal for the same price. He chose the E-kit. Somehow he did manage to damage one of the heads (think piezo pickups), but the kit still works to this day.
Gosh i think he must have been hitting them with both sticks as they will fracture the cymbals. I just broke a pair drumming 568759F9-621E-4ACF-AEEE-09AA872FDF57.jpeg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Gosh i think he must have been hitting them with both sticks as they will fracture the cymbals. I just broke a pair drumming View attachment 193179
For a long time I kept buying him the cheapest sticks because he would go through them so fast. One day I picked up a good set of hardwood sticks, and amazingly they held up very well. He used to hit everything as hard as he could. All the rims, hardware, shells. He was a tornado just swinging away at anything that got in his way. LOL

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Still trying to figure out how to turn the ol' upright piano up to 11. Guess I could tune it up a notch! LOL! At any rate, it has been quite a few years (7 or 8 maybe) since it has been tuned, and rather than pay someone to come into our messy house, I picked up a small piano tuning kit off the 'zon. This small upright piano is close to 50 years old and belonged to my great aunts who lived in Louisville KY. It's not radically out of tune, but it is noticeable. Some notes more so than others. Some are in tune with themselves, but not so much with the other notes. So far I have only done the lowest notes. These are the EZPZ ones with only 1 string. Using a digital tuner app on my phone, the lowest 3 or 4 notes are hard to register correctly, but found using my headset, the mic picks them up better. I think this is the first time EVER, that I have had the lowest note (A) actually in tune on this piano. I'm up to the double string notes now, so things get tougher. You have to mute one string, tune the other, then tune the muted string to the one you tune first. There are rubber and felt pieces in the kit for that purpose.
tuningkit.jpg

pianoboard.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Oh yeah, and I will be using 440 Equally Tempered 12 step.

That almost sounds like an old Chrysler being driven to an AA meeting. LOL

LB