Thievery!

earthsciteach

One of the often ignored (by design) facts about public schools vs private schools is that we don't turn anyone away. Yesterday, one of our students sneaked into the art room where our RC club keeps our planes. On any given day, you can find 4 HZ Champs, 3 Sky Surfers (Bixlers), 4 HZ mini-cubs, and any number of odd assortments of RC airplanes, both manufactured and scratch-built.

Yesterday, one of our school's students (not in the club), decided to pilfer an airplane given a 2 minute window of opportunity. He stole a HZ Mini-Cub and Champ transmitter (not compatible, BTW). This kid, apparently was totally oblivious of the many video cameras that monitor the hallways of our school. Plus, we had multiple students immediately come to us this morning telling us this kid had stolen a plane (its good to be a popular teacher).

Now, I am definitely one to look at the background of a kid and, while not making excuses, at least have a modicum of empathy for their behavior. Fact is, this is the second time this week the police have been to school to deal with this kid's thefts. Not able to have much sympathy for that!

Good news-we have the plane back, so our club member has not lost anything.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
It's a sad state of the world we now live in teach.
I am glad that your students did not lose a plane or tx, but they really did lose out because they now will be thinking about things differently.
You would have been a fav teacher of mine if you would have been around then, but then you would be old as dirt now... I guess I can say you are a favorite teach I never had!

earthsciteach

Thanks, maj. I LOVE my job. It really is the greatest job ever. I get to take the things I think are fun and use them to teach kids about science and problem solving. I just hope I am employed next year! Things are ugly in the state of PA since our governor has slashed $980 million from school funding.

sandblaster

Pour kid. What a very hard life he has ahead of him. As a-ex school district employee, one sees so many things with the kids, that makes one think the parents need ....well.... something that gives there kids a better chance in life. But there are no "smart" requirements to have kids.

earthsciteach

That is the sad thing. No requirements to be parents.

This same kid approached me this morning and asked me if he could have a sheet of foam to build a plane. Of course, I gave him one and told him where to look online to find plans.

I see a lot of kids from rough backgrounds. We have a home for abused and abandoned kids within my school's area. Those kids attend my school. Yes, they are rough and can be disruptive in class. But, from what I've seen, they genuinely are decent people at heart who are craving attention. This kid, though... He seems to lack a conscience. That is scary!

sandblaster

I reached out to some of those kids and got a positive response from many. One of the rewards of working with the kids. So for the Hard Question: is there anything this community can do to help you reach out to this student, or others? Do you have enough resource to reach out to his student? I would be willing to send you funds to help with this "project" student if it would help.

earthsciteach

That is very generous of you. At this point, this kid needs to know that he can't do things like this. Had he come to me and asked me about building something, I would have been glad to help.

We have kids in our club who have been through horrible experiences and have been taken from their parents. They can be extremely challenging, but don't steal things from other students. Next year, if he is interested and approaches me, he can be a part of this, as long as he changes his ways. Its definitely a sign of a larger problem and maybe a cry for help. He will be spending time with our district's counselors, for sure. Hopefully that helps!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
We will have this young man in our thoughts and prayers. I think since he has found someone like yourself, maybe you have already showed him things do not have to be as he currently sees them but for how they could be seen.

Go gettem' teach, you are now for sure my favorite teacher!

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
I would do the same thing, reach out for him and embrace him, let him feel the warmth of the cooperation and group behavior, i bet he will cherish it and will work hard to not let you down.

let him know that you talked about his scratch build on this online forum and we are eager to see his maiden flight !!! motivation is the key !!

Positive Vibes !!

Nice to hear that you have all that covered... Peace and good luck !!

Fishbonez

How is the youngster doing? I am hoping that since summer vacation is just around the corner he has found mentor. Maybe someone has gotten through to him and he can enjoy a summer vacation free of trouble so that he can be a kid. Has he returned to at least apologize for his actions? Hope so.

earthsciteach

He did apologize. He's living with a foster family and they are doing a great job helping him out. While it isn't smooth sailing, things are looking much better!

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
One of the often ignored (by design) facts about public schools vs private schools is that we don't turn anyone away. Yesterday, one of our students sneaked into the art room where our RC club keeps our planes. On any given day, you can find 4 HZ Champs, 3 Sky Surfers (Bixlers), 4 HZ mini-cubs, and any number of odd assortments of RC airplanes, both manufactured and scratch-built.

Yesterday, one of our school's students (not in the club), decided to pilfer an airplane given a 2 minute window of opportunity. He stole a HZ Mini-Cub and Champ transmitter (not compatible, BTW). This kid, apparently was totally oblivious of the many video cameras that monitor the hallways of our school. Plus, we had multiple students immediately come to us this morning telling us this kid had stolen a plane (its good to be a popular teacher).

Now, I am definitely one to look at the background of a kid and, while not making excuses, at least have a modicum of empathy for their behavior. Fact is, this is the second time this week the police have been to school to deal with this kid's thefts. Not able to have much sympathy for that!

Good news-we have the plane back, so our club member has not lost anything.

I live in a horrible skwl were almost every thing left unattended gets stolen.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I live in a horrible skwl were almost every thing left unattended gets stolen.

I get that feeling, bro! Let's just say, Stuff at school has gotten lost, caps, soccer shoes (whatever they're called), acoustic guitars, typewriters, microphones, lots of pens and books and notebooks, balls, candies, etc the list goes on.

You could find all kinds of stuff outside classrooms, I found so many modular compass parts that I got enough to build one from parts :p!

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
I get that feeling, bro! Let's just say, Stuff at school has gotten lost, caps, soccer shoes (whatever they're called), acoustic guitars, typewriters, microphones, lots of pens and books and notebooks, balls, candies, etc the list goes on.

You could find all kinds of stuff outside classrooms, I found so many modular compass parts that I got enough to build one from parts :p!

I fine(not so worried) with them steeling stationary but they steal phones!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I fine(not so worried) with them steeling stationary but they steal phones!

In my country, there's a law that you can't denounce a theft for under the value of a month's salary - that is under $250. Cellphones get stolen like pens.

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
The first time I watched a Flitetest video was the one where they mentioned your name teach. Any way you are right, there is no background checks or anything to be a parent and it is sad. You have people breeding and not teaching kids values while others (like myself and my wife) sit back and can only watch because we can't have kids. Sad, someone needs to get involved in that kids life now and try to make a difference.