Think I messed up, could do with some advice Tx/Rx

Spine_iv

After a break of way to many years I decided to get back into RC, but due to a house fire a few years ago I'm starting with zero equipment.

I bought a FlySky FS-T6 Transmitter off Ebay as it seemed a cheap way in

I bought a couple of receivers, Turnigy TGY-iA6, and Turnigy TGY-iA6B

The more Observant among you will notice something I didn't
They are not compatible, TX is AFHDS, receivers are AFHDS 2A

So which do I bin. Im guessing the TX, but what should I replace it with. is the FlySky FS-T6X ok? or do I need to start from scratch?

Initially I am going to be Park Flying and some DLG and Slope Soaring, Eventually into some FPV but not long distance stuff.

Thanks for any pointers

plz be mindful of my Home circumstances when suggesting something

d8veh

Elite member
Flysky receivers are really cheap, so that'll be the cheapest option. Perhaps someone will join in and recommend the best one.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I started with the same Tx and the matching Rxs (That was a mistake). I upgraded to the iA6 2A Tx and matching Rxs and have never looked back.

The 2A system is fantastic for use on model aircraft the T6 is ideal for use with model cars and boats where the antenna polarity does not change greatly in operation. I lost many aircraft due to LoS caused by polarisation and since I started using the iA6 I have lost NONE!

What you do is your choice! I have made mine!

Have fun!

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
After a break of way to many years I decided to get back into RC, but due to a house fire a few years ago I'm starting with zero equipment.

I bought a FlySky FS-T6 Transmitter off Ebay as it seemed a cheap way in

I bought a couple of receivers, Turnigy TGY-iA6, and Turnigy TGY-iA6B

The more Observant among you will notice something I didn't

They are not compatible, TX is AFHDS, receivers are AFHDS 2A

So which do I bin. Im guessing the TX, but what should I replace it with. is the FlySky FS-T6X ok? or do I need to start from scratch?

Initially I am going to be Park Flying and some DLG and Slope Soaring, Eventually into some FPV but not long distance stuff.

Thanks for any pointers

plz be mindful of my Home circumstances when suggesting something

You are not the first to make that mistake. I don't know why the FS-T6 is still made/sold. Seems kind of shabby of FlySky.

Since you have already made a commitment to FlySky, probably best to bin the T6 (or try to return/sell it or at least put it aside for now) and get a FS-i6 or FS-i6X. You can find them for around $50 new with a receiver. Probably I'd get a an FS-I6 because the hack firwmare available for it is more mature. However there is a similar hack firmware effort for the i6X so if that is now comparable it is the better TX as far as the internals. Practically I'm not sure its functionally different. They didn't seem to add much to take advantage of the better processor. The i6 and i6X do have a good set of features out of the box and the hack firmware adds a lot more. The main down side is that the packaging and quality is very toy like. Plastic bushed gimbals, wobbly switches, creaky thin plastic case. horrible programming buttons etc.

Avoid the i6S unless you only plan to fly muti-rotors. Last I looked it has very limited mixing (only on free mix per model and no elevon/y-tail)

You could make the T6 work with a multimodule as suggested but 1. the multimodule is not actually legal in the US since it has no valid FCC certificate, 2. you won't be able to take advantage of the telemetry that comes with AFHDS 2A, 3. you can only used the PPM interface as far as I know so the latency will be higher...probably not a big issue in practice.

That said I'm not really a fan of Flysky's quality. I would only recommend the I6 if you are on a really tight budget or you want something throwaway to just to "give it a try". The i6/i6X is a remarkably good value considering the function you get for $50 but you get so much more with say a 16CH FrSky Q-X7 for around ~$130-150 or so (with battery and receiver) Yes it's 3 times the price but its still only $150, hardly a life style changing price for anyone half way serious about aircraft RC. You can do almost anything with the FrSky TXs although some find the programming hard to get used to. (Note: The same might apply to the new FlySky "dark knight"/nirvana controller style TX but it's quite new and I haven't seen one.) The 6CH Spektrum Dx6e and is another good entry level choice for around $150 but you will have to buy receivers or Horizon brands (e-flight etc.) BNF planes.

Note: FrSky is a different company from FlySky.

See this post...
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/

Spine_iv

Awesome, and thanks for the answers.

Im probably going to go for the FS-i6X for now, its cheap enough and as my collection of stuff increases I can move to a much better Tx in time. Previously I had a Spectrum for my 2.4 and a Futaba with a Immersion EzUHF (not that I ever needed it, lol)

I've got to be budget conscious at the moment as starting from scratch is hella expensive, I need everything, from batteyr charger to basic tools, as well as all the bits of wire n connections, glues,etc before I even get to planes.

There's only so much I can sneak past her indoors