Thinking About Next Plane

Winston1203

I've Built and maidened my flite test simple scout and I was wondering what I should get as my next plane, on youtube and flite test forums people always are talking about what plane they should get first but I never see anything considering pilots that have maidened but haven't had much experience with a wide variety of planes. There are some criteria I would like my plane to meet.

1) preferably powered by a power pack A or B

2) Is easy to build

3) maybe something with a little more spice for you to fly

4) 3-4 channel single motor

5) runs off a 2-4 cell lipo battery

If you have any ideas on what I should build and fly next pls respond below.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Oh, and, if you have any good Spektrum receivers to recommend pls let me know.
I've Built and maidened my flite test simple scout and I was wondering what I should get as my next plane, on youtube and flite test forums people always are talking about what plane they should get first but I never see anything considering pilots that have maidened but haven't had much experience with a wide variety of planes. There are some criteria I would like my plane to meet.

1) preferably powered by a power pack A or B

2) Is easy to build

3) maybe something with a little more spice for you to fly

4) 3-4 channel single motor

5) runs off a 2-4 cell lipo battery

If you have any ideas on what I should build and fly next pls respond below.
For a second plane, Explorer is a possibility since it can be made into a FPV Platform as well, and it is good to modify. Another possibilty is the FT Sea Otter, but you should use power pack C, and add DIY Stall fences like I did. As for the receiver, the new ones without antennas come in 4 and 6 channel options, and I love them. They are easy to swap between planes, and I don't have to worry about orientation.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
maybe try building an Edge 540 and then getting an AS3X reciever to put in it? AS3X will basically turn anything into a trainer so you can have something that will have a great range of capabilities while still being able to be handled by less experienced folks if needed. Only problem I can think of is it runs off a power pack C. A 4s lipo is also basically a requirement, but you said you were fine with it...

A side note is that AS3X equipped stuff is also usually relatively expensive. I think the cheapest one is 70 or so bucks - they used to have the AR636 which was like 55 but they recently discontinued it and replaced it with the AR636B. I don't think anyone except Spektrum is making AS3X capable stuff for less money. Sure, you could use an external gyro but that's more money...

Last edited:

K3V0

Elite member
I’d look at the mini mustang. It’s a great little plane that works well with an A pack. It’s a 4 channel and super fun and sporty. I think it might be spicy enough to start with😉. As a build it’s not too bad. Lots of folks( myself included) have wished for more space inside but things come together well! I love the mini scout too, it flies just as well as the simple scout and you can add ailerons.Oooh, I also just remembered the shrubsmacker! . Check out @Grifflyer’s Shrubsmacker release page I’m going to fly mine tomorrow!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
maybe try building an Edge 540 and then getting an AS3X reciever to put in it? AS3X will basically turn anything into a trainer so you can have something that will have a great range of capabilities while still being able to be handled by less experienced folks if needed. Only problem I can think of is it runs off a power pack C. A 4s lipo is also basically a requirement, but you said you were fine with it...

A side note is that AS3X equipped stuff is also usually relatively expensive. I think the cheapest one is 70 or so bucks - they used to have the AR636 which was like 55 but they recently discontinued it and replaced it with the AR636B. I don't think anyone except Spektrum is making AS3X capable stuff for less money. Sure, you could use an external gyro but that's more money...
And if your intimidated by the build, don't be! All of Andre's designs fit together so well if you take the time and think in 3d a little bit.

danskis

Master member
I'm with Corpse. I'd vote for the Bloody Baron - not sure if a B pack will handle it though. Its tough, easy to build and can be flown slow or fast. You need to mind your expo and rates with this one. A non flitetest motor for this would only be $10 - $12. . I've had a lot of fun with the full size F22 - only 2 channels. Very easy build and can use a B motor and a 3 cell. It flys slow or fast but If you build it to plans it needs a lot of bamboo skewer and popsicle stick reinforcement where the wing meets the fuselage. Launch is almost vertical - I'll add that I think that full size F22 is a real strong contender. Really easy to build and repair and its a good introduction to elevons (which are really easy). You should put a KF wing on it as it makes it a much better flyer - very simple to do just add another sheet of foamboard to the front half of the wing. I you decide to make it I'll be happy to guide you through it.

Last edited:

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I've been working on @Grifflyer's P-39 off and on for about a week. With his instructions on how to print and build instructions linked from the forum thread about the plane it's been a pretty easy one so far. It's supposed to rain about all day tomorrow so I may just finish it up for something to do. Also it's rated for A or F pack equivalent components, mini sized, and is said to be a fairly docile 4 channel.

slowjo

Master member
For a second plane, Explorer is a possibility since it can be made into a FPV Platform as well, and it is good to modify. Another possibilty is the FT Sea Otter, but you should use power pack C, and add DIY Stall fences like I did. As for the receiver, the new ones without antennas come in 4 and 6 channel options, and I love them. They are easy to swap between planes, and I don't have to worry about orientation.
I have a sea otter, it is fun but take offs can be tricky with the high mounted motor, sudden throttle pushes the nose down fast m/b better 3rd plane

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Still waiting to maiden but my second FT plane (third overall) is the original FT Spitfire. Everyone seems to love them and it scratches the warbird itch.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
do you think the storch would be a good second plane, or maybe the mighty mini corsair running on a power pack a? pls let me know.
The Storch could be a second plane, but the mini corsair is hard to build and a bit of a handful. The Mighty mini or original Mustang could be a third plane, but the Mini Corsair is pretty advanced.

chronix

See above, I haven't flown mine, but was thinking of using my umx electronics from my busted sport cub s. Not sure if it'll have enough ponies to power it though. I think the recommended pack is the 'A' but I can't recall and I'm too lazy to open another tab.

Innaviation

If you decrease the rates, give lots of expo, and use a B-pack setup the Bloody Wonder or Bloody Baron can be a smooth flying plane that is easy to fly but can do lots of aerobatic maneuvers as well