Thinking behind design of Rotor Bones

xtrmtrk

I'm just starting to design my own multicopters and having fun with it. I'd love a video of Chad discussing his design choices. For example, why plywood vs bamboo vs Delrin vs G10? How did he come up with the sizes and thicknesses he did? What changes were made after testing? Did he design knowing he'd have a laser cutter and how did that impact his decisions. Does he cut the fiberglass with a laser cutter?

I'm sure he could talk for hours about how he came up with this great product.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I'm just starting to design my own multicopters and having fun with it. I'd love a video of Chad discussing his design choices. For example, why plywood vs bamboo vs Delrin vs G10? How did he come up with the sizes and thicknesses he did? What changes were made after testing? Did he design knowing he'd have a laser cutter and how did that impact his decisions. Does he cut the fiberglass with a laser cutter?

I'm sure he could talk for hours about how he came up with this great product.

Ha! I could talk for hours about ANYTHING ;)

I don't mind sharing this info. However, I would think that most people would find it very boring.

plywood vs bamboo: I wanted Bamboo but it's hard to find a good supplier. And the suppliers that I found were ridiculously expensive.

I chose Delrin because our laser worked well with it and it's fairly durable. We can cut G-10 but it's really slow, dirty and stinky. So i just use our laser to prototype the G-10 and have a company in China mill the parts once the design is locked in.

Wow this is a lot of questions! Maybe I will make a video... I hate typing :)

xtrmtrk

It would be so cool!

Maybe a better topic would be: Designing your own multicopter if you have access to a laser cutter and/or a Maker Space. (That's what I've got, and everyone else in a major city.)

Short of that, maybe the next time I'm visiting my parents (Akron) I can buy you a coffee!