THIS COULD BE INTERESTING...

Sean Herron

Found some more old stuff...

Don't ever call me Stipad - it's not punny...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipa-Caproni

300px-Caproni_Stipa.svg.png
10382252_10203962118789093_2251469742172894300_o.jpg

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Those freaking EYEtalians and their crazy contraptions!!! :eek::p They should stick to building Cars...

"Theese isa what I call it... Sheesa jet, and she flies high up in a the sky!"
~ Caproni

~ Oh, and disregard my name... I'm not Italian. No, really, I'm not! :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:
I swear!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The plane is awesome. I've had the same daydream. Build a plane around a ducted fan. Just a tube to direct the thrust, with control surfaces to well, make it controllable.

Just a few thoughts of an RC model that might actually fly. If my mental image is correct, the wings won't work. They are too far back. They need to be farther forward so the lift balances the weight of the fan. I wouldn't move them. I'd just extend the line forward where they meet the fuse, for a more swept form. I'm also thinking the rudder is not placed well. As per the images you posted above, it's just going to direct the exhaust from the ducted fan. That means the effect the rudder has will change every time you move the throttle. It'll be the same for the elevators, I'm guessing.

I literally know nothing. I'm just mentally imaging the airflow through and around that model and I want to see that thing fly. It'd be beautiful and maybe something I'd like to build in the future. When I know more stuff and have actually flown an RC airplane.

Others who know more will chime in. I agree with Merv. That's a great project!

Vimana89

Legendary member
The plane is awesome. I've had the same daydream. Build a plane around a ducted fan. Just a tube to direct the thrust, with control surfaces to well, make it controllable.

Just a few thoughts of an RC model that might actually fly. If my mental image is correct, the wings won't work. They are too far back. They need to be farther forward so the lift balances the weight of the fan. I wouldn't move them. I'd just extend the line forward where they meet the fuse, for a more swept form. I'm also thinking the rudder is not placed well. As per the images you posted above, it's just going to direct the exhaust from the ducted fan. That means the effect the rudder has will change every time you move the throttle. It'll be the same for the elevators, I'm guessing.

I literally know nothing. I'm just mentally imaging the airflow through and around that model and I want to see that thing fly. It'd be beautiful and maybe something I'd like to build in the future. When I know more stuff and have actually flown an RC airplane.

Others who know more will chime in. I agree with Merv. That's a great project!
There are many nice ducted fan builds that use thrust vectoring to a larger extent than that design in a more modern fashion. I'll find the vids tomorrow when I get a chance, but there's builds of just a ducted fan with some fins or landing gear and good thrust vectoring parts that fly very well. If you could optimize the thrust vectoring and also design it with more efficient wings like others suggest, I'm sure it would be a huge performer and fun to fly.

Sean Herron

OK - so there is some interest - I must say now that I suffer from ASD - Adult Attention Deficit SQUIRREL - but I do still have the Rhino 3D files for the plywood toy that we built - so perhaps I will work up a foamie and and some skins over the winter for shits and giggles - along with all the other stuff my son wants me to do...

Needless to say - its been done - check out the vids - but I want my own on the cheap side - just looking at it - it does lend itself to a foamie - just score one side and roll it up to make the barrel - we shall see...

Check this out -

Also -

Vimana89

Legendary member
Watching the vid of the foamy RC, it seems that good thrust vectoring is actually inherent to the original design, otherwise it couldn't hover side to side sitting vertically nose straight up tail down in the air like he did at the end. Here's the video I was talking about earlier. This is nothing but a ducted fan with thrust vectoring surfaces and landing gear.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The first is just lifting thrust and moving vector surfaces. Like you said, it's a quad with one motor. The second is closer to what I think your vision is, but still it's not a plane. I think you might be onto something innovative. I say run and go with it. The worse that will happen is it doesn't work. Then you refine the design. Then crash again.

I really think you're onto something cool here. I am only sad that you beat me to it. I've got a long ways to go before I can innovate like that.