This guy is having too much fun with his videos :)

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I was actually looking at his rcgroups thread about a water plane that had a working scoop and drop tanks but stumbled onto this gem. Great choice in music. Too funny.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Cool video. From what i've read, the slow boat is actually a really awesome plane. It'll pretty much 3d it's self and land on water, how cool is that!?!

Jimmyp

I was actually looking at his rcgroups thread about a water plane that had a working scoop and drop tanks but stumbled onto this gem. Great choice in music. Too funny.

Wow. Great Flying... I actually just finished my Slow Boat on Sunday and took a video of the maiden. Nothing like that video though. My backyard is frozen right now. No water fun. Looks like it will fun on the snow though.

Jimmyp

How long did your build take? This is one of the designs I was looking at to covert over to dollar tree foam.

This didn't take very long. There is not many pieces. The trickiest part was mounting the servos inside and putting the tubes through the fuselage and getting everything to line up. Maybe 2 hours to cut everything out and 4 to 6 hours to complete everything. I still need to paint mine.
DT foam would not be a good idea for this one if you want to use it in the water unless you do a complete water proofing which would add a lot of extra build time. I used 6 mm MAF for my build.
Here is some build pictures
Clearview-20141205-00069.jpg Clearview-20141205-00070.jpg Clearview-20141205-00071.jpg Clearview-20141205-00072.jpg Clearview-20141205-00074.jpg Clearview-20141205-00076.jpg

Team_Monkey

Wow Jimmy, your thrust line looks really high. Must be ok though.;)

You can see how I cheated on mine by mounting the tail servos externally and ran open pushrods for the ailerons. It was much easier to build (it's actually my second) and can still be used on water. I don't play on water much, but it works fine.

Weight realm matters on this one unless you over power it. I took 3-4 oz off on the 2nd build by using foam safe CA instead of hot glue and it was night and day for.performance.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I was going to delamintate the foamboard and glue two sheets together using spray tack, effectively making 6mm foam. I watched someone build a profile yak using laminated FB and it looks like it works pretty well.

Jimmyp

Wow Jimmy, your thrust line looks really high. Must be ok though.;)

You can see how I cheated on mine by mounting the tail servos externally and ran open pushrods for the ailerons. It was much easier to build (it's actually my second) and can still be used on water. I don't play on water much, but it works fine.

Weight realm matters on this one unless you over power it. I took 3-4 oz off on the 2nd build by using foam safe CA instead of hot glue and it was night and day for.performance.

I had a friend printed the plans out at his engineering office. They turned out to be a little smaller than original (plans call for 39" wingspan - mine is 34") The original plans called for a 10x4.5 prop so I had to mount the motor that high to do it. (I actually had to cut about 1/4" off the ends of the prop to make it fit). The plans create a 4 deg down thrust. With the down thrust angle the airflow pushes down on the tail section to counter act the thrust. It actually worked better than I thought it would. There doesn't seem to be any issues with pitch through the compete throttle range. A 3 deg to the side counter acts the torque roll.
As for weight I used mostly Beacon foam tack for putting it all together. I did use a little bit of hot glue as well (maybe half and half)
I was wondering if anyone has put a KF airfoil on the plane?

Team_Monkey

Mine has a KF step but it's not a "true" 50% of the airfoil because the ailerons are so huge. It's roughly 50% of the non-moving part of the wing. Flies and glides wonderfully.