Help! This is my first build!

Colemanw

I decided to go with the ft mini arrow and I printed out the plans and cut them out of the paper. Any tips on transferring the rest of the lines onto the foam board?

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Welcome to the forums Colemanw!

Here's how I do it. First, tape the plans onto the foamboard, then pierce the paper on the cut lines every few inches so that you have a dotted line that shows you were to cut the foam, next remove the plans and use a straight edge to cut along the dotted line.

Hope this helps!

chris398mx

Master member
I just tape them on the foamboard and cut through the plans and foamboard all at once. once in a while i may have to re-tape a score cut to keep the plan in place.

Colemanw

Welcome to the forums Colemanw!

Here's how I do it. First, tape the plans onto the foamboard, then pierce the paper on the cut lines every few inches so that you have a dotted line that shows you were to cut the foam, next remove the plans and use a straight edge to cut along the dotted line.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your help!

Theuglycamel

Take it slow, and cut your center pieces out before cutting your outline/score lines. Also, I like to tape over all cut lines that go from one page to another. This keeps the razor from pulling up the next sheet of paper when cutting long lines. Metal rulers rule and always use a sharp knife. If it pulls your paper at all, get a new blade. Good luck! This is by far the most rewarding way to build!

Theuglycamel

Also, don't stress over curving the corners on everything. If your cutting access holes or push rod slots, just square the ends off. When you do cut curves, don't try and cut all the way through on the first pass. Just get a good score cut then go back over it. Makes it much easier to curve when you're not pressing down all the way through the foam.

M

MCNC

If you hate throwing out perfectly good but dull blades, pick up a smith's 4" Arkansas stone and keep the edges keen

Reactions: FDS