This looks very sketchy

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks like Value Hobby and Elite Models have some explaining to do as well. This is a total rip-off of the Flite Test FT Spear...

Should they be next on the mass thumbs down campaign?

EDIT: screw asking.. they need to be hammered. I just got hit with a virus attack when I clicked that first link. it was specifically "JS /spybanker trojan"

OliverW

Legendary member

OliverW

Legendary member
Should they be next on the mass thumbs down campaign?

EDIT: screw asking.. they need to be hammered. I just got hit with a virus attack when I clicked that first link. it was specifically "JS /spybanker trojan"
Weird. I've ordered from them countless times without any virus warnings or getting any. I feel lucky now haha

Alright so I think what's happening now is they're on to our reviews and they've posted a couple more @5 star. They're then getting everyone to "like" the positive reviews. I'm not absolutely certain but I suspect that might raise the store's overall rating. (?)
None of our reviews have more than 3 likes.

Flyingshark

Master member
Alright so I think what's happening now is they're on to our reviews and they've posted a couple more @5 star. They're then getting everyone to "like" the positive reviews. I'm not absolutely certain but I suspect that might raise the store's overall rating. (?)
None of our reviews have more than 3 likes.
Darn! Just when we were doing so well. I even tried to post a super detailed review 3 weeks ago... At least someone will know if they read any of ours.

whackflyer

Master member
I didn't think valuehobby would do something like that... Are you sure they didn't get permission from the FT crew? I guess if anyone would know you would.
Oh I betcha there's no permissions involved.
Did you see their build instructions? They've built up a lot of the inside with plywood. Is the FT one like that? You guys would know.
Another thought: Could it be that they would consider the design so generic that they can just create their own?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I didn't think valuehobby would do something like that... Are you sure they didn't get permission from the FT crew? I guess if anyone would know you would.
I'm going to contact Josh to find out, but my guess is they did not. Value Hobby may be completely unaware, but Elite Models is well aware that they stole the design.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh I betcha there's no permissions involved.
Did you see their build instructions? They've built up a lot of the inside with plywood. Is the FT one like that? You guys would know.
Another thought: Could it be that they would consider the design so generic that they can just create their own?
The FT design uses ply in the nose for the FPV/Action cam tray and it appears to be identical to the FT design. The wing span and overall appearance are also nearly identical. The inside plywood construction is an improvement on the design in my opinion, but doesn't justify them stealing the design and passing it off as there own.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sorry about that. I didn't get any virus warning?

Ever since I got hacked I have ALL the firewall alerts pop up. You may not have yours set to let you know like I do. Not sure if I feel safer knowing when I get hit or more paranoid because of the number of attacks per week I see.

Gnobuddy

...they need to be hammered. I just got hit with a virus attack when I clicked that first link. it was specifically "JS /spybanker trojan"
Keep in mind, it's quite likely their web server has been hacked, some third party planted the virus/worm/Trojan horse, and the RC company in question doesn't have the faintest idea their website has been compromised.

This would be like getting email from a friend with a worm/ virus/ Trojan attached. This has probably happened to most of us at some point - certainly it's happened to me. Usually your friend is not a fiend trying to ruin your life, but simply yet another unfortunate victim of the crap-fest that is Windows, and of the amoral hackers who take advantage of its flaws. Most likely your friend has no idea that his home computer has been hacked and is now being used to spread the infection.

This is not to say that the RC company in question hasn't done anything illegal vis-à-vis Flite Test copyright infringement. But that is a separate issue. All I'm saying is, it's unlikely they are deliberately trying to load computer viruses onto the computers of people browsing their website. It makes no sense for a business to do that. So I don't think they "need to be hammered" on account of being vile hackers trying to infect people's computers.

I don't think anybody deserves to be "hammered" without due legal process, actually. Vigilante justice makes the world a hostile and ugly place for everyone in it. But that is another discussion.

-Gnobuddy