This thing looks fun!!! Sonicmodell AR mini Wing

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Just waiting for the CaddxRatel camera to arrive ( two weeks at least - been on back order )
Of course I *had* to put iNav on it.
IMG_20200110_222320243.jpg IMG_20200110_223117524.jpg

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Ive got two of its big brother, they are awesome fun to fly, also good to scare the crap out of people with autolaunch if they don't know what you're doing and think you've lost the plot trying to fly something not running lol.
I destroyed the AR Wing I had - found its wing a bit thick to hold securely for a wing throw which resulted in it ripping huge chuncks of wing out with the prop. This mini one has inherited its electronics :)

Last edited:
M

MCNC

Impressive, not even sure what all the electronics are. What would be the total investment in that rig, less labor of course?

IanSR

I wonder if I could squeeze the DJI FPV air unit into that? I got given a ZOHD250 for Xmas but it can't fly for sh't captain, so.... The mini is on offer at mo I think...

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Impressive, not even sure what all the electronics are. What would be the total investment in that rig, less labor of course?

Sonic modell AR Mini Wing - this included Motor, ESC and servos - all fitted.

£43.48

Matek Systems F411-WING FC

£27.17

Caddx Ratel 1/1.8'' Starlight 2.8mm Camera

£22.12

TGY iA6C PPM/SBUS 2.4ghz receiver

£13.49

Eachine TX801 5.8G video transmitter

£11.61

AOMWAY 5.8G 3dBi RP-SMA Antenna

£ 7.69

Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 3S 25~50C Lipo

£ 9.81

Total = £135.37‬
All at current prices excluding delivery, including discounts at the time I looked.

Last edited:
M

MCNC

I hope I can reach this level before the hammer of the fcc strikes in the backwoods of NC, USA. Truth be told, I am within 30 miles of a major military base, (the remote reservation side) where their aircraft fly low and slow. Sometimes feels like my property is a practice target, sometimes I can see their faces.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Today was interesting...
Took off in autolaunch, I had the idea of autolaunch followed by loiter whilst I goggle up. Unfortunately, that means I can't wear my glasses and I'm short sighted.
Flicked the switch to what I thought was loiter and it flipped over and dived at the ground. I wrestled with the sticks for the couple of seconds it took to disappear from my blurred sight.
A long search of the edge of the field showed up nothing, nor also in the fast flowing river or visible on the other bank. Nothing showing in the goggles, not a peep, just static!
Resigned I packed my stuff up and headed back to the car.
I thought it might be worth driving round to the other side of the river and have a proper search.
Alas that was fruitless
On the way back to the car I thought I'd check the road on the other side of the river, nothing found. I took one last shot and walked along the canal the other side of the road and blow me down if I didn't find it floating upside down in the canal, still powered on, 220m away from the take off point.
A long branch brought it to shore and I took it home after disconnecting the battery.
Remarkably, I have returned the wing back to flight readyness. I had to replace a non functioning left servo and also the receiver which was not keeping it's bind.
Hooray!!!
flying_site.jpg

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Spoke too soon, the flight controller's 5v servo power regulator has failed. Checking underneath shows plenty of corrosion. Replacement on order.