Help! Thoughts on FT Goblin Mods (Making it more of a LOS cruiser)

If you could only do one of the listed mods, which would it be?

• Extended Wingspan

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Vortex Generators

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Wing Strakes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joexer

So I've decided my next plane will be an FT Goblin, but I would like it to be a bit more LOS cruiser than FPV racer as it seems by default. I am almost obsessed with stall characteristics because I enjoy flying rather slow, hovering into the wind and the like. I also happen to adore the stall characteristics of Planks and Forward Swept wings. I've come across a couple mods and considered a few new ones I have questions about. Considering A basic Setup with a 2200mah 3s, 2205 2300kv motor and 6040 prop, Would any of the following have detrimental impact on the model?
  • Extended Wingspan
    Pretty self Explanatory, probably around 200mm airfoil extension on either side added at the root for lower wing loading and to provide for Reflex
  • Vortex Generators
    I have used Vortex Generators on just about everything but a Plank style-wing, to increase stall AoA, is there any reason not to (besides parasite drag)
  • Wing Strakes
    Applied to Nose Cone and Joined to wing to provide better stability at High AoA.
In addition i will be modifying shape and increasing area of the vertical fins.

Considering Buying one kit and scratchbuilding a second as a mod testbed as well, but if theres something not worth trying I'd like to know if/why. In pursuit of Knowledge :).

Wow, I'm new to RC flying, and now my 1st time browsing this forum in a little more depth, and right away I find your post. I'm working on a thing that might spur your imagination. See pics (I haven't glued the vert stabilizers on yet, they're just sitting on there loose). I used inspiration from the FT Goblin, Funjet, E-Wings Vortigaunt, Dragonwing, Radjet, Zohd Dart, Interceptor-100 and a couple other things. I LOVE the forward-swept plank-ish design but I also want to see how slow it'll fly well, AND I wanted to keep the wing @ 24" or less, so I tried to maximize the wing chord and minimize weight and see what happens. I wanted the slimmest fuselage I could get away with so I wound up w/ hatches on the top. I'm not looking for a 100 mile/hr bullet. Seems like this rocket-ship-looking design contradicts my slow & gentle preference at the moment but we'll just have to see.
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you really wan tot change the pitch handling and tame the beast you could add a set of fixed canards. They not only alter the required balance point but they can make stalls near impossible and allow you to use the same elevon mix setup.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm definitely for extended Wingspan, to a point. Thicker Chord also improves Wing Lift at slow speed....

But I give due respect to @Hai-Lee Canard option as well!! 😎👍👍 It would certainly allow for slow, gentle Flight. The Swedes LOVE them! 😜

Heck! Go NUTZ! Since you don't appear to be a rank novice, engineer some sort of Carbon Fiber Rod between those Canards, hook up a Servo, and have some incredible controllability. 😉
Just Sayin'

Have fun - stay SAFE Guys!!

CapnBry

Elite member
FT Goblin was the first model I ever flew FPV on and I loved the heck out of it for the fact that you could really just float it in. I extended my wings by 10% at the root. I think there's a youtube video of someone even extending the wing much longer and it still flew great.

@Monte.C that sorta Mini Drak looks flippin' amazing! Is there a thread for it?

Sero

Elite member
Add to the span and you can always add the other suggestions after. The plane is fun to fly fast and slow, it high alphas nicely, bigger span should slow that down even more.

FT Goblin was the first model I ever flew FPV on and I loved the heck out of it for the fact that you could really just float it in. I extended my wings by 10% at the root. I think there's a youtube video of someone even extending the wing much longer and it still flew great.

@Monte.C that sorta Mini Drak looks flippin' amazing! Is there a thread for it?
(Dreadfully afraid of trying to hijack Joexer's thread! That would be in bad form.) Ok, right, I just posted it. Thanks Cap'n!

otto54

Wow, I'm new to RC flying, and now my 1st time browsing this forum in a little more depth, and right away I find your post. I'm working on a thing that might spur your imagination. See pics (I haven't glued the vert stabilizers on yet, they're just sitting on there loose). I used inspiration from the FT Goblin, Funjet, E-Wings Vortigaunt, Dragonwing, Radjet, Zohd Dart, Interceptor-100 and a couple other things. I LOVE the forward-swept plank-ish design but I also want to see how slow it'll fly well, AND I wanted to keep the wing @ 24" or less, so I tried to maximize the wing chord and minimize weight and see what happens. I wanted the slimmest fuselage I could get away with so I wound up w/ hatches on the top. I'm not looking for a 100 mile/hr bullet. Seems like this rocket-ship-looking design contradicts my slow & gentle preference at the moment but we'll just have to see. View attachment 162964 View attachment 162965
Hello, do you have the plans or some reference to be able to build that beautiful plane
I want it and I need it

Hello, do you have the plans or some reference to be able to build that beautiful plane
I want it and I need it
Hi Otto. No, that was a long time ago, a very early build and long before I ever flew anything. I'm sure it isn't flight worthy.