Thoughts on improving performance of Sky Angel 50 mm Mig-15?

earthsciteach

I've flown my Mig-15 a few times now. I'm pretty disappointed in the performance. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the edf unit, but she is just slow. I'm flying on the stock setup with the stock 850 mah, 11.1 V battery. I am also dealing with some trim issues, but that is just a matter of working it out.
I plan on pulling the edf unit out of it tonight. Any advice on what to look for as far as problems? I'm going to check the balance of the fan. Beyond that, what can I do besides replacing the fan and/or motor and 4 cell battery?
Thanks!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
First- get rid of the stock battery. These planes work well with a 1000mah battery, I'd go with a nanotech or gensace.
My son crashed his t45 and I'm pretty sure it was because of volatge sag on the original battery.
The fans are OK but are probably the next weakest link. A friend of mine sent me a link for a decent replacement fan.
I think they will run on 4s too...

Cj1Corbystarlet

Another thing to look at is the duct after the EDF, the duct wants to be super smooth to get the best performance out of a unit that might not be developing full herbs.

A quick dressing with some 500 or 1000 grit sandpaper stuck onto the end of a piece of wood will tidy things up nicely.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
How's this plane going, teach? I've couldn't resist HK's ebay price on the A6 in this series. I've got a couple of 1000mAh 3s to stick in it when it arrives. I've only ever heard good things about the Mig-15 in this series... Cj1Corbystarlet had nailed one suggestion, another I've come across was making sure the blades are balanced.

earthsciteach

The Mig has its good days and bad days, LOL! I fly it with a 1300 mah, 11.1 V, 25 C battery and it makes a world of difference in its performance. I've worked out the trim issues and she flies very well, now. It still has the stock battery and motor. I'm happy with it. I do plan on trying out a 4s battery.

At this point, I wouldn't upgrade the Mig's power plant, but am thinking about buying a 50 mm F-16 or F-18 kit and putting this set up in it: http://www.donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=97

I have a friend on wattflyer who has the T-45. It flies much faster than the Mig on the stock set up. He has done a great job of detailing the mods he has done to it. Seems as though he is determined to squeeze every drop of speed out of it. Although he did lose focus on what's important when he went to the hobby shop to buy a 4s but fell to the temptation of a pretty little Ultimate Bipe.;) (LOL! Can't blame you, Nigel-she is a pretty thing!)

Here's a thread about his T-45 experience: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64671

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Cool. Interesting about different packs giving huge variation in performance. A lot of that variation would be internal resistance I think. The Nanotechs might be winners. If only they'd bring them to the Aus warehouse... I've never tried drawing near the C rating of my standard Turnigy batteries.