Help! Thoughts on this Readi-Board Alternative

Richards5913

Hey guys,

Another frustrated Brit who can't get there hands on reasonably priced Foamboard from Flite test.

I've made a rushed decision and purchased the below foam from eBay.... Is anybody able to tell me whether this stuff might be suitable for some basic builds?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273895979597

I do have a Maker Foam Simple Club speedbuildmkit on order but I would like to do a few trial builds before I get started.

I've searched through a few of the other posts about UK supply of foam board and I can't find a straight answer. If you are able to point me to some good threads that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Stuart

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hey guys,

Another frustrated Brit who can't get there hands on reasonably priced Foamboard from Flite test.

I've made a rushed decision and purchased the below foam from eBay.... Is anybody able to tell me whether this stuff might be suitable for some basic builds?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273895979597

I do have a Maker Foam Simple Club speedbuildmkit on order but I would like to do a few trial builds before I get started.

I've searched through a few of the other posts about UK supply of foam board and I can't find a straight answer. If you are able to point me to some good threads that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Stuart
Hey pilot
I have always used 6mm white Depron sheets and found them to be great and sturdy however we can’t get it these days due to most of us modellers buying it all 😂 rumour has it that it’s no longer in production.
Recently bout the grey 6mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Depron-6...-20m-For-Underfloor-Heating-New-/262396424580 which is slightly lighter And softer. Much easier to shape and mould forms Which is fantastic compared to the white however the downside it’s not ash strong. Saying that I find it still a great product and at £4.20/sheet can’t complain
My Hawk was built from 1 sheet
D79E9869-39F4-413C-BF1B-28381D375481.jpeg

I have not used the ready board or FT maker so I can’t comment
Let us know how it goes

Attachments

• 6272637D-CA02-4483-9879-4B7BDC4D3CF6.jpeg
    6272637D-CA02-4483-9879-4B7BDC4D3CF6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9883113B-E8FE-435C-8177-13FC008A3FEA.jpeg
    9883113B-E8FE-435C-8177-13FC008A3FEA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BB2FF585-0BA1-43B7-A803-5B63A9AA0D5D.jpeg
    BB2FF585-0BA1-43B7-A803-5B63A9AA0D5D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Richards5913

@shadeyB thanks so much for your quick reply. Wow your Hawk looks incredible - hopefully one day I can build myself up and begin to think about such an intricate plane.

Unfortunately my skills are very basic, hence why I'm keen to find something that's as similar to readi board as possible. I'll certainly try something very simple with the foam that I've bought - would be good to know what to expect before I get started.

Thanks again

daxian

Elite member
it will be good ...as long as you follow the rule ,get the cg right it will fly !! australians ,new zealanders and many others have no access to FT board ,but still build and fly FT aircraft ...use what you have and adjust to get the cg right ,use a little more power (motor) add some nose length ...it will fly !

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Looking at the eBay item, it will most likely be similar to the Westboard that Hobbycraft sell. Very strong but heavy and removing the covering is difficult without using an iron on nylon setting to release the glue the covering is attached with.
I have several successful models using this type of foamboard but the CofG is harder to meet and the planes come out 30% plus heavier, so more power :)

Richards5913

Thanks for your help and advice... Sounds a bit tricky for my first build so think I'm going to stick to the speed build kit for my first attempt and take it from there. Hopefully after a bit of practice I will be able to do a bit of experimenting and report back.

Thanks again