Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I wanted to have 3 all built and ready to go. My original 2 ar6600t's I was using had to head to a viggen and a seaduck. Not big on swapping gear, like to have things ready to go. Really not a big deal tho, that was like $90 in a $700 parts run. Was out of a lot of staples, needed batteries ranging from 800mah 3s up to 5000mah 6s, lots of balsa and basswood and ply as well.
Oh boy - how I wish I had the money to do that and the space to keep it all! I’m sure I could find the latter one, but not the first!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Honestly once this is designed I will keep the final one I build all painted up. Chances I fly it ever again will be slim, why would I fly such a little guy when I have so many big ones? For me it is in the fun of designing.
Well mine will definitly be used a lot! Thank you for the design that I’m sure I’ll love!
I plan on picking up something similar to that - but is yours rtf? It looks like it at least comes with the motor! For 30$ wow!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think this going pretty quick considering I am working it in between work, family time, building 2 seaducks and a viggen. Not to mention solving an issue with a goblin, trouble shooting a 60cc gas motor, and rewiring a 67" edge all in the last week!
Wow! I thought I was busy with my ft-22 and viggen and painting my commuter...

OliverW

Legendary member
Well mine will definitly be used a lot! Thank you for the design that I’m sure I’ll love!

I plan on picking up something similar to that - but is yours rtf? It looks like it at least comes with the motor! For 30$ wow!
It is the foam giles 202 kit. Comes with everything but electronics.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Money is not an obstacle. Space on the other hand..... I have planes in every nook and cranny, hanging from ceilings, on the walls, in a trailer, at work... big issue!
Haha. I have 4 receivers - one in the ft-22, spitfire, and commuter, and the last one will be going between the viggen and your edge. But hey - if it wasn’t for flitetest, I really would have hardly anything, so I’m happy😀. I have planes pretty much everywhere, but I can always squeeze another one in! Half of them probably won’t fly ever again, so tossing them isn’t a big deal if I need more room...

Headbang

Master member
Haha. I have 4 receivers - one in the ft-22, spitfire, and commuter, and the last one will be going between the viggen and your edge. But hey - if it wasn’t for flitetest, I really would have hardly anything, so I’m happy😀. I have planes pretty much everywhere, but I can always squeeze another one in! Half of them probably won’t fly ever again, so tossing them isn’t a big deal if I need more room...
Best part about foam board is they have limited life span, even my original seaduck is droopy and not in good shape. Never crashed it, just foam board wears fast. Makes room for new planes!

Headbang

Master member
Printing a new power pod for an 1806. 3d printed power pod accommodates both motors now. Too windy to fly it, but will be ready as soon as weather improves. I will add a bit of wieght to simulate a 1000mah pack. Worst case, I have to put in some optional holes on the wing to lighten it up, holes would then be covered with a strip of packing tape. Maybe can even get under 250g for legal purposes. Specs say motor alone is 12g lighter....

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Printing a new power pod for an 1806. 3d printed power pod accommodates both motors now. Too windy to fly it, but will be ready as soon as weather improves. I will add a bit of wieght to simulate a 1000mah pack. Worst case, I have to put in some optional holes on the wing to lighten it up, holes would then be covered with a strip of packing tape. Maybe can even get under 250g for legal purposes. Specs say motor alone is 12g lighter....
Wow - thanks!

mayan

Legendary member
3D puts a lot of stress on things, blenders have ripped apart more then one of my airframes, and stripped many a servo. Went with 9gram servos. When I maiden this one I will do some basic 3d stuff, then some high energy stuff. I fully expect to rip this airframe apart in a dramatic explosion of prop meeting foam as it rips out of a full throttle downward spiral into a full throttle flat spin in a fraction of a second.
You better have that on video :).

As with any new design, one has to discover the limitations, I expect I will build a few of these with improvements each time. Some things could be as simple as a strip of tape to add support. Key is to make it as bullet proof as possible, as stable as possible, and stick to common FT materials and building techniques.
I agree kinda similar to @Hai-Lee ’s KFM Wing for those that know it.

My best attempt at one
OMG, @buzzbomb this kid has skill. Rock on @SquirrelTail. When can I get some private lessons :).

And here is the video!
Beautiful!

Then @kilroy07 sent me a laser cut kit for the FT Edge 540! What an awesome plane it is. It is so darn complicated to build, and repairing it is a nightmare. I'm afraid to fly the darn thing, because I don't just want to fly it. I want to get stupid with it and push my limits. That means I'm going to destroy it, and I didn't want to do that. I really like it.
Shocked and happy to hear this coming from a hard headed man like yourself. Who knocked some sense into you buddy?

V0.2 plans done, will be cutting and assembling in the next 24hrs. If that goes well I will be building a 3rd one with 5g servos. I am just not sure if 5g servos are enough tho. Has to be tried, saving 16g I think will be noticable, and it will match the power pack.
You’ve probably tested this already by now but I would tell that 5g servos will work not on all control surfaces though. If used on the rudder the servo will jitter.

THAT is crash resistance! Some of us will need that. ;) Did the skewer holes in the fuselage widen any? You are really put it through it's paces before final release. That is commendable.
+1

"Easy A.F." I'm both shaking my head in consternation and grinning from ear to ear! I would make a change to it. "HB's 3D Easy A.F." It sort of says it all! ;)
+1

You're on top of it Headbang! You've got a lot of people really looking forward to the final plans. I'm certainly one of them! :)
+1

Honestly once this is designed I will keep the final one I build all painted up. Chances I fly it ever again will be slim, why would I fly such a little guy when I have so many big ones? For me it is in the fun of designing.
And as far as I see you did a great job, thank you for this.

Wow just finished reading the entire thread great thread @buzzbomb, and @Headbang what a job well done, I am speechless! The FT Edge is a pain to fix and not such a good model to break unless you have a lot of time to build a new one. I will be building one of these very soon.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It was never intended as a first plane trainer. Purely as a way for an intermediate pilot to get into 3d flying on the cheap and easy. I crash a lot! I'm always pushing, or I get bored, so I destroy plane after plane after plane.

Then @kilroy07 sent me a laser cut kit for the FT Edge 540! What an awesome plane it is. It is so darn complicated to build, and repairing it is a nightmare. I'm afraid to fly the darn thing, because I don't just want to fly it. I want to get stupid with it and push my limits. That means I'm going to destroy it, and I didn't want to do that. I really like it.

That's the gestation of this thread, this idea. 3D. Cheap to build. Easy to build. No remorse when you crash and burn. Build another on the cheap and easy. Learn to fly 3d without fear! You and @Grifflyer are doing wonderful work towards those ends. Much better than I could have ever accomplished. Keep it up! My gosh, we're almost there! I am smiling from one ear the other, right now, just thinking about it. Thank you! :D
I built the ft edge and it is severely underpowered on 3s with the old power pack and a 10 inch prop. The motor mount area was a disappointment to me since the whole plane had been so complex and fun to build, but even before I crashed it, the motor mount seemed flexible and weak... overall it’s a great plane and actually not too hard to repair if you’re the kind of person that just pumps glue into the break and hold it there until it dries straight...

Headbang

Master member
I built the ft edge and it is severely underpowered on 3s with the old power pack and a 10 inch prop. The motor mount area was a disappointment to me since the whole plane had been so complex and fun to build, but even before I crashed it, the motor mount seemed flexible and weak... overall it’s a great plane and actually not too hard to repair if you’re the kind of person that just pumps glue into the break and hold it there until it dries straight...
I just did not trust the motor mount and reinforced while building. Flys well on a 500w motor. Old 2215 in the c pack does not handle a 10x4.5 well, motor drops rpm too much. Works much better on a 9x6. 9x4.5 on 4s works well too. I never understood why they packaged that motor with that prop. On the radial it makes sense tho. My tests with the radial 2215 worked out well with a 11x4.5 and a 10x6.