Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Headbang

Master member
Thee are a couple hurdles I need to jump through to get the tv working, so I plan on maidening it without the tv and then adding it if the maiden goes well.
That is what we did with photo001's. Later I went home and grabbed my spare radio and worked out the mixing.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The x-29 was my second FT build, at the time I did not think it was complicated. I only have realized it later as I build simpler planes.
Which ft planes have you built? I really enjoy the complicated builds, and Andres is designing some great ones. I’ve built his edge and sea angel so I guess the only one I haven’t built if his is the x-29. Hopefully when I can buy a 70mm edf and 4s Or 6s batteries and a big esc I can go for it.

mayan

Legendary member
@Headbang glueing everything with brown gorilla went great.

063EBFCB-C950-4B7D-9518-478567A8DE6A.jpeg

9749AEAE-C457-4E63-B61D-706A348D9886.jpeg

I put in the wing just to see how it looks.
481ADDC4-2CDF-4162-A7E4-603D625D2CFA.jpeg

Ohh and BTW I finished the build, so maybe just maybe I’ll maiden it tomorrow :).

AAE24184-5DF1-4B3B-A981-7BD5FFEA1EAB.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

mayan

Legendary member
It looks great! I’m eager to do mine - really want a 3D plane I can at least hover!
I want a 3D plane that is durable but just in case and be easily fixed or replaced and I think this one is it :). The KFM Wing for example is exactly that and was my entrance ticket to flying wings. It was strong enough to hold up to my learning curve while the Mini Arrow and Versa Wing weren’t. The arrow kept breaking in half and the versa wing ohh it just never flew over the one meter I tossed her to, kept lawn darting :).

Headbang

Master member
Which ft planes have you built? I really enjoy the complicated builds, and Andres is designing some great ones. I’ve built his edge and sea angel so I guess the only one I haven’t built if his is the x-29. Hopefully when I can buy a 70mm edf and 4s Or 6s batteries and a big esc I can go for it.
Pure mostly unmodified Ft planes...
Seaduck, X-29, Mig-3, LongEZ, Explorer, Bloody Wonder, Goblin in that order.
Built an edge for a friend, but @Photo001 finished it.
Heavily re-designed was the Seaduck X1 (redesigned the wing completely, modified the tail heavily)
Other things I have on the go are the viggen, a @nerdnic ki-61, seaduck X2, and working on plans for a giant seaduck.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
LOL I used to be able to solve them within 30 seconds but that was then today I can solve 90% of it and stuck with the last 10% getting the last side corrected :/. I actually got that for my son so he can learn but he doesn't find the patient to sit so I can teach him.
I had one back when they were new. I didn't take the stickers off, like others did. I figured out how to disassemble it and rebuild it in it's complete form. Good memories, there! :)

mayan

Legendary member
Put mine in the air today let's just say that we Israeli's know how to crash test things :). When the hammer came to Israel we were told that it can't be flipped over; our soldiers managed to flip it over. @Headbang said he went full throttle into the ground and that it didn't break, well let's just say he didn't do it the Israeli way :).

IMG_4143.jpeg

As you can see it was fixed, and I kept flying it. I kept adding more deflection rates just to be able to control the plane, but there again I have it setup as a 3D flyer based on Andres setup from the Edge 540 build video. I ended up using 65% deflection rates with 30% expo, it limited my ability to go 3D flying but I needed to get a feel for the plane first before I can start learning 3D. Also need to learn tune down my stick movements, and be more gentle on them. I'll post a video of my short flying when I get a chance to edit the footage.

Recommendations for the crashers out there like me, re-enforce the fuselage with CF / long BBQ skewer spar running front to end over and under the wing to avoid the fuse from breaking in halves. Other than that have fun it's a great 3D trainer plane, thank you @Headbang for the design, you've gifted me a new plane to train my skills with :). BTW I balanced mine with 800/1000 mah 3S batteries.

Any how I can repair the one I have and probably get it to fly again but I rather build a new one, for the short time it took me to build the first one it's just smarter to do the re-enforcement I mentioned above and get a much more solid fuselage and save me the risk of breaking something with a plane that might have trouble flying, so off we go to build a new plane.

Headbang

Master member
Put mine in the air today let's just say that we Israeli's know how to crash test things :). When the hammer came to Israel we were told that it can't be flipped over; our soldiers managed to flip it over. @Headbang said he went full throttle into the ground and that it didn't break, well let's just say he didn't do it the Israeli way :).

View attachment 144578

As you can see it was fixed, and I kept flying it. I kept adding more deflection rates just to be able to control the plane, but there again I have it setup as a 3D flyer based on Andres setup from the Edge 540 build video. I ended up using 65% deflection rates with 30% expo, it limited my ability to go 3D flying but I needed to get a feel for the plane first before I can start learning 3D. Also need to learn tune down my stick movements, and be more gentle on them. I'll post a video of my short flying when I get a chance to edit the footage.

Recommendations for the crashers out there like me, re-enforce the fuselage with CF / long BBQ skewer spar running front to end over and under the wing to avoid the fuse from breaking in halves. Other than that have fun it's a great 3D trainer plane, thank you @Headbang for the design, you've gifted me a new plane to train my skills with :). BTW I balanced mine with 800/1000 mah 3S batteries.

Any how I can repair the one I have and probably get it to fly again but I rather build a new one, for the short time it took me to build the first one it's just smarter to do the re-enforcement I mentioned above and get a much more solid fuselage and save me the risk of breaking something with a plane that might have trouble flying, so off we go to build a new plane.
Lol I did not do full throttle into the ground, but free fall from 30ft.
I had mine setup for 60deg throws on elevator and rudder, and about 45deg on ailerons. I was running 70% expo. Trick to this plane is to either power out of trouble, or just cut throttle and let it fall.

Headbang

Master member
Too far to see the fun stuff for me :p
Lol I play close to the ground, only crashed 1 plane that was strictly pilot error in the last 3 years. And that was me pushing the crap out of my new hard core 3d seaduck design 6ft off the ground.
This plane has such serious throws and is so light and small that it is easy to power out of trouble 3in off the ground at the last second dragging the tail in the grass.