Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
This is one inspirational thread! 40 pages at this point and a lot of directions it has gone. Yes, my EAF lasted but seconds' but it got me more interested in 3d and now I'm just going to scratch build an FT-3d, the parts count on it is pretty reasonable.

The FT-3d uses the C power pack so what should I build to put this A pack back in use? Soooo many possibilities...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
This is one inspirational thread! 40 pages at this point and a lot of directions it has gone. Yes, my EAF lasted but seconds' but it got me more interested in 3d and now I'm just going to scratch build an FT-3d, the parts count on it is pretty reasonable.

The FT-3d uses the C power pack so what should I build to put this A pack back in use? Soooo many possibilities...
Another eaf edge! Or you might consider one of @Grifflyer shrubsmacker or his spitfire soon to come out.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
@Flying Monkey fab did you decide on what mini plane to build next? If not I'll say the commuter is also one of my favorites, and if you want, it would make a great fpv platform if you're up to trying something unique and new. FPV is something I'm trying to get into at the moment. I'm hopefully going to try my Viggen FPV this week.
I thought I had decided to do one of the little V tails but now I'll have to take another look at the commuter. Right now I am building several FT-3ds. I have several free C sized motors and ESCs and I figure if I have another ready to go when I crash one I might just get somewhere with it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I thought I had decided to do one of the little V tails but now I'll have to take another look at the commuter. Right now I am building several FT-3ds. I have several free C sized motors and ESCs and I figure if I have another ready to go when I crash one I might just get somewhere with it.
I really like my ft-3D and I think you’ll like yours. It’s a great 3D trainer.

L Edge

Master member
And here’s the vid. The camera angle was pretty high, but last time it only videoed the ground😂

Since you can fly inverted, adjust your battery so when inverted, just a tad push of elevator is the best place to start off, not what the plans say. Sharp turns will show you.
Make a number of runs with different props. Remember for 3D, you want smaller pitch such as 3/8 wide.
Increase throw of rudder. Start using rudder for your turns at all turns. That will build you doing knife edges.

I don't see you doing stall turns(bipe or regular) or let me see you do 2 rolls(can't loose much height either)across the field. Then you will know what stability means. If it barrel rolls and you can't get it to square away, poor design.

Rolling circles are based on that.
Learn to feel that plane. More runs you do, it will come to you.

mayan

Legendary member
I crashed my new 3mm FB Easy Edge over the last two days.
Today I also trashed the 3D printed firewall. That was flying hard!
IMG-4738.JPG

IMG-4739.JPG

IMG-4740.JPG

IMG-4741.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
This was yesterday's crash. I was trying to flat spin and didn't manage to either flat spin or break out of it :(.

She looks munched at tad :(
She flew great this morning after the million repairs that she had last night after that crash. But yeah she was pretty patched up already. I think she didn't care for the weight mainly because I was using 3mm FB :).

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - I agree with @Bricks - you control is nice and snappy - and who needs a flat spin without a coffee! :D
I've been wanting to do a flat spin for a long time, but at the field something doesn't look right. If I post a video of me flying on the sim you'll see that I can do a nice flat spin that looks so good. Don't know what is different at the field but something is :(.

chris398mx

Master member
I've been wanting to do a flat spin for a long time, but at the field something doesn't look right. If I post a video of me flying on the sim you'll see that I can do a nice flat spin that looks so good. Don't know what is different at the field but something is :(.
Planes never seem to respond just like in the SIM. I have noticed the same thing. But the SIM is great at getting the basic concepts down.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Take video of your stick movements, that'll help us figure out what the problem is.

Bricks

Master member
One way I practice flat spins ( some planes just will not do it ) start at a throttle setting that that has the plane flying lazily along. Start in putting rudder as the plane circles apply opposite aileron to keep flat start increasing throttle and rudder, at this point may need some up elevator tightening up the spin, and using aileron to keep the plane flat until full rudder is applied and usually full throttle. At this point if the plane has enough thrust you can input elevator to either make the plane spin higher or bring it down during the flat spin. Keeping the wings flat is the big trick and makes it successful..

mayan

Legendary member
One way I practice flat spins ( some planes just will not do it ) start at a throttle setting that that has the plane flying lazily along. Start in putting rudder as the plane circles apply opposite aileron to keep flat start increasing throttle and rudder, at this point may need some up elevator tightening up the spin, and using aileron to keep the plane flat until full rudder is applied and usually full throttle. At this point if the plane has enough thrust you can input elevator to either make the plane spin higher or bring it down during the flat spin. Keeping the wings flat is the big trick and makes it successful..
Thanks for the tips. I'll try that the next time I am at the field :).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve never been able to pull off a good looking flat spin on the sim or at the field... Believe me though, I’ve tried many times. I’ve pulled off OK ones on the sim, but not perfect, and at the field, they are a corkscrew - nothing flat about them🤣