Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Bricks

Master member
With my 3D foamies to check my CG I like to take it high up and do a elevator, watch what the plane does if it comes down flat that is where I like my CG which seems to help with wing rock at slow speeds. If the nose stalls it is nose heavy if the tail falls out it is tail heavy. CG on 3D planes is more of a personal thing and each flyer seems to find the CG they prefer to fly with weather a tad nose heavy or tail heavy each position makes the plane feel different...

Headbang

Master member
Quick question. What plane(s) can you recommend practicing 3D with on the simulator? I’ve got realflight 8 and I’m planning on spending some time over the winter months developing my skills beyond circuits and basic aerobatics. I find the edge in RF8 really small and difficult to control with any precision. The extra is better but it didn’t look to me like you were using either of those 🤔
The aj slick is good as it is a bit twitchy, forces you to get better. The pau edge is good as well, but almost cheating, flys just like a real giant t scale 3d bird.

Headbang

Master member
With my 3D foamies to check my CG I like to take it high up and do a elevator, watch what the plane does if it comes down flat that is where I like my CG which seems to help with wing rock at slow speeds. If the nose stalls it is nose heavy if the tail falls out it is tail heavy. CG on 3D planes is more of a personal thing and each flyer seems to find the CG they prefer to fly with weather a tad nose heavy or tail heavy each position makes the plane feel different...
Starting point for me is level hands off inverted at half throttle. After that it is power off flat spins for fine tuning.

OliverW

Legendary member
Quick question. What plane(s) can you recommend practicing 3D with on the simulator? I’ve got realflight 8 and I’m planning on spending some time over the winter months developing my skills beyond circuits and basic aerobatics. I find the edge in RF8 really small and difficult to control with any precision. The extra is better but it didn’t look to me like you were using either of those 🤔
I was using an extra I downloaded. I was using this and the variant below it . http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=770 http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=22921

Bricks

Master member
Starting point for me is level hands off inverted at half throttle. After that it is power off flat spins for fine tuning.

Exactly as all 3D pilots like a different CG one has to fly a bit to decide what they like in there plane and how it reacts.

Headbang

Master member
Just out flying the original version I built. One thing I can say is it gets tossed around in a light wind. Little cg adjustment and some throw adjustment and knife edge spins are a thing now.

Headbang

Master member
Been abusing the heck out of it, repeated blenders, knife edge spins, snap rolls, water falls. No structural issues so far. I took it up about 30ft, cut throttle, let it fall to the ground nose first. Pictures tell the story of damage.
20190917_162725.jpg 20190917_162743.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Been abusing the heck out of it, repeated blenders, knife edge spins, snap rolls, water falls. No structural issues so far. I took it up about 30ft, cut throttle, let it fall to the ground nose first. Pictures tell the story of damage.
View attachment 142906 View attachment 142907
THAT is crash resistance! Some of us will need that. ;) Did the skewer holes in the fuselage widen any? You are really put it through it's paces before final release. That is commendable.

Headbang

Master member
Looks pretty minor to me! Ordered a couple of 2205’s today to get ready for this one!
Picked it up, took the pics, added an extra skewer to the pod (it was a bit loose). Then threw it back in the air. Felt a need to crash it on purpose so you all know what to expect. The original will likely be ripped apart and electronics recycled into a new one by the end of the week.

Headbang

Master member
Build video in the works. New one will be built by tomorrow. If all goes well I will clean up the plans, add spots for 5g servos, build that one, test. If all that goes well I will release the plans. If the 5g servos strip, I will remove them from the plans and release them. I also have a 3d printed power pod designed, just have to wait for the new northern pike to finish printing before I can get to that.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Build video in the works. New one will be built by tomorrow. If all goes well I will clean up the plans, add spots for 5g servos, build that one, test. If all that goes well I will release the plans. If the 5g servos strip, I will remove them from the plans and release them. I also have a 3d printed power pod designed, just have to wait for the new northern pike to finish printing before I can get to that.
A build video is above and beyond. Why are you doing one for such a simple build? Also, do I need to order a carbon fiber rod, or do you think a 1/4 inch dowel will do the trick?

Headbang

Master member
A build video is above and beyond. Why are you doing one for such a simple build? Also, do I need to order a carbon fiber rod, or do you think a 1/4 inch dowel will do the trick?
I am doing the build vid so it really is simple and there is no question how it goes together. Plus I just wanted to try my hand at a build video lol.

So far I have not used a spar at all. First one I built, the wing has no crinkles at all yet. I do not think it weighs enough to warrant the need for a spar. One could put in a thin strip carbon fiber spar if one wanted. A bbq skew inlaid in the center would be all one would ever need.

Photo001

I had the opportunity to fly @Headbang's plane today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a 3D pilot by any means, just a relatively inexperienced pilot who enjoys flying circles around the club field. I have flown the Cub, Explorer, Spitfire, Bushwacker, Legacy, Sea Duck, Kraken, Versawing, nn's Chipmunk, Slow Boat and an Eflite Timber. I'm slowly gaining experience and enjoying every minute while flying.

I'll be building one of these planes after @Headbang finishes the final details he plans on making.

Thanks for the opportunity to fly this amazing learning machine!

Lane

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I had the opportunity to fly @Headbang's plane today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a 3D pilot by any means, just a relatively inexperienced pilot who enjoys flying circles around the club field. I have flown the Cub, Explorer, Spitfire, Bushwacker, Legacy, Sea Duck, Kraken, Versawing, nn's Chipmunk, Slow Boat and an Eflite Timber. I'm slowly gaining experience and enjoying every minute while flying.

I'll be building one of these planes after @Headbang finishes the final details he plans on making.

Thanks for the opportunity to fly this amazing learning machine!

Lane
You just don't know how jealous you have made some of us! :)