Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Headbang

Master member
3d printed mount for the 2205. Plans will have reference mark's for it. I will release the stl along with the plans.
20190919_135038.jpg 20190919_135042.jpg 20190919_135052.jpg

Headbang

Master member
Another one assembled, ready to maiden. I really need to go to the other hobby shop, maybe they will have stock on recievers!
I have a list of things to change on the plans, once done, and assuming this one maidens as expected, I will have the plans good to go by the weekend.

Headbang

Master member
Of course if you go there to buy flite test stuff, or spectrum ar6600t recievers, you will be SOL if I have been there. I tend to clean them out of power packs, servos, and esc's every time I go. Would rather be able to just reach into a draw instead of having to head to the city.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Of course if you go there to buy flite test stuff, or spectrum ar6600t recievers, you will be SOL if I have been there. I tend to clean them out of power packs, servos, and esc's every time I go. Would rather be able to just reach into a draw instead of having to head to the city.
Haha, nice! I wish I could do that, but no - order things from the ft store or occasionally get to my “local” hobby shop. And the there’s $...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That is ideal but seems that you guys keep coming up with cool things that I don’t have motors or esc’s for.
Nope. Part of the idea of this thread is that you can learn to fly 3d with a basic "F" pack. 2205. 30amp esc, 3s batt and 5 or 9 gram servos. @Headbang is as per his usual, going above and beyond. Unless I miss my guess, he's going to stick to the formula, so that we all can learn to fly 3d on the cheap and easy. :)

Headbang

Master member
Ok plans cleaned up and good chance these will pretty close to final (Assuming all goes well with the next maiden). Figured I would post the latest beta plans in case someone wants to jump start the build.

Power pod uses STD ply firewall, pay attention to the top to get thrust angles right. Rudder is a single layer, elevator needs to go on before the final rudder piece. Fuse gets the paper removed on the inside. Wing gets the paper removed on the bottom half only. I glued the Fuse together with 3M Super 77 (My favorate glue for foam on foam laminating). The wing is glued with hot glue, a line on the leading edge, the trailing edge, just behind the leading edge, one down the middle, and anywhere else it is needed (I put the glue on the bottom half before folding). Be sure to fold and form the wing with all the paper on first before removing paper (makes it easier and straighter)

Files removed, New versions available

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
5g servo version built and ready to test.
I’d like to print out the prototype and fly it, but I’m not sure how to print it out... when I downloaded the plans into acrobat and printed them from there, it was pretty small. Any tips?

Headbang

Master member
I’d like to print out the prototype and fly it, but I’m not sure how to print it out... when I downloaded the plans into acrobat and printed them from there, it was pretty small. Any tips?
Pdf should be 29.75"x20". They are vector pdfs and are easily imported into inkscape or any other vector program.
I will not be tiling them, in the print settings there should be a poster option. Make sure there is no fit to page or shrink options set. It will tile them for you, but be warned it will not be very smart about it, expect more pages then you think it should be. I think @nerdnic has a tutorial on his web site somewhere (along with some totally amazing awesome super cool creations of his own!)
https://www.nerdnic.com/content/how-to-download-and-print-pdf-plans

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
Found a little issue, the rudder horn intersects the elevator, solution is put the rudder on the other side and cut a small relief in the other side for horn travel, it will be obvious. Next set of plans this will be reflected, elevator will be swapped to the other side as well for balance and symmetry.