Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok I thought I was almost ready to maiden and then some gremlins came in and f@#*ed things around. I was doing a little vertical thrust test and then went to try the control surfaces, all was good until I tried the ailerons and all went bizerk, everything going nuts . Looked at the rx and light is flashing widley, not touching anything in a few seconds everything calmed down light went solid and surfaces centered . Tried rudder and elevator a bunch of times and nothing, just barely move the ailerons and all goes nuts again. Then for what ever reason lets do a thrust test again and within 5 seconds the motor slowed down to 25% , now what the heck? Put the battery back on the charger and it still had 12 volts so what gives. Tried programming the ailerons to channel 6 just to see if any different and that's a big nope, same nutso crap went on. So now I tried a different rx, same crap again along with the motor slowing down within a couple seconds and test the voltage and it is good. So concentrating on that I plug the voltage tester into the balance plug and then fired up the motor, cell 3 dropped to 4 volts almost instantly , shut the motor off and within 3 seconds it is back up to the same voltage as the other guys so a bad battery . Had that happen before where a cell would drop off instantly and then within a few seconds it would show good. So one issue solved, thought maybe the Y connector was causing issues so pull all the wiring apart and start testing individual servos. Found that one or two separate and even a tiny bit of a third one you were almost ok and was harder to make it act up but 2 servos on one circuit drawing fuel juice set it off instantly. NEW esc time, the bec can barely run 2 servos on separate channels and the rx at the same time. :) Now my glitch is all my servos laying around are 40A and up and I am down to one 1300 3S battery . Just really ticked off right now.
Don't stress it. I took @sundown57's design out last week and tried to fly. Even though everything tested good, I had nothing but stutter. Fast forward. I'm still troubleshooting and have no clue. Everything seems good. Wiggle it this way, and it all works. Try to tie it up and make it flyable, and yep. Stutter.

I still haven't found the cause. I'm going flying tomorrow, I hope. I REALLY wanted to put his bird in the air. I owe it to him. I still haven't figured out the problem, though. :mad::poop:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing @buzzbomb - I have only suffered a spazzy servo before so I have no ideas to help - If anyone can sort these crazy issues out it is you guys! What gear are you running?

I have my own problems with my hat camera - maybe there is a virus in the air? Seriously though, these spazzy issues can really dampen your day - all the best, and let us know what was the root cause if you find out! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Wildthing @buzzbomb - I have only suffered a spazzy servo before so I have no ideas to help - If anyone can sort these crazy issues out it is you guys! What gear are you running?

I have my own problems with my hat camera - maybe there is a virus in the air? Seriously though, these spazzy issues can really dampen your day - all the best, and let us know what was the root cause if you find out! :D
I didn't specify. That's my fault. I'm getting motor stutter. It's really kind of weird. I've no doubt that I'll get it figured out, I was just hoping to get it done for when I (hopefully) fly tomorrow.

mayan

Legendary member
Ok I thought I was almost ready to maiden and then some gremlins came in and f@#*ed things around. I was doing a little vertical thrust test and then went to try the control surfaces, all was good until I tried the ailerons and all went bizerk, everything going nuts . Looked at the rx and light is flashing widley, not touching anything in a few seconds everything calmed down light went solid and surfaces centered . Tried rudder and elevator a bunch of times and nothing, just barely move the ailerons and all goes nuts again. Then for what ever reason lets do a thrust test again and within 5 seconds the motor slowed down to 25% , now what the heck? Put the battery back on the charger and it still had 12 volts so what gives. Tried programming the ailerons to channel 6 just to see if any different and that's a big nope, same nutso crap went on. So now I tried a different rx, same crap again along with the motor slowing down within a couple seconds and test the voltage and it is good. So concentrating on that I plug the voltage tester into the balance plug and then fired up the motor, cell 3 dropped to 4 volts almost instantly , shut the motor off and within 3 seconds it is back up to the same voltage as the other guys so a bad battery . Had that happen before where a cell would drop off instantly and then within a few seconds it would show good. So one issue solved, thought maybe the Y connector was causing issues so pull all the wiring apart and start testing individual servos. Found that one or two separate and even a tiny bit of a third one you were almost ok and was harder to make it act up but 2 servos on one circuit drawing fuel juice set it off instantly. NEW esc time, the bec can barely run 2 servos on separate channels and the rx at the same time. :) Now my glitch is all my servos laying around are 40A and up and I am down to one 1300 3S battery . Just really ticked off right now.
Bright side of things is that you figured it out :).

mayan

Legendary member
I didn't specify. That's my fault. I'm getting motor stutter. It's really kind of weird. I've no doubt that I'll get it figured out, I was just hoping to get it done for when I (hopefully) fly tomorrow.
I have that issue too with a b pack motor of mine prop off it works prop on shutters and had to be kicked into play with a little help of my good friend mr. stick :). Can’t stress to get it solved now, rather deal with it that way for as long as we can fly here cause winter is coming in unexpected, started raining yesterday :(.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Don't stress it. I took @sundown57's design out last week and tried to fly. Even though everything tested good, I had nothing but stutter. Fast forward. I'm still troubleshooting and have no clue. Everything seems good. Wiggle it this way, and it all works. Try to tie it up and make it flyable, and yep. Stutter.

I still haven't found the cause. I'm going flying tomorrow, I hope. I REALLY wanted to put his bird in the air. I owe it to him. I still haven't figured out the problem, though. :mad::poop:
I just hate having tech issues when you aren't cutting corners, .

Well for the stuttering motor if you have an extra esc just swap it out first, if that doesn't fix it then try a different motor.

Stuttering servos is usually a c entering issue , I find the metal gear ones are more sensitive.
For mine it's not like they stutter, they are totally possessed :D :D , The built in bec just can't handle more then 2 servos

mayan

Legendary member
What are your winters like @mayan
Windy, rainy days. No snow though. We’ll get snow in Jerusalem from time to time and in mountain Harmon but too crowded there to bother going. Leave at 5am to still stand in an hours worth line for a bit of snow not worth it for me. We’ll have a week or two of hard rain then a few days nothing then back again. But when it’s not rain you have horrible morning dew because of temp differences between night and day :(. If it was at least snowing I’d do something with floats.

sundown57

Legendary member
Windy, rainy days. No snow though. We’ll get snow in Jerusalem from time to time and in mountain Harmon but too crowded there to bother going. Leave at 5am to still stand in an hours worth line for a bit of snow not worth it for me. We’ll have a week or two of hard rain then a few days nothing then back again. But when it’s not rain you have horrible morning dew because of temp differences between night and day :(. If it was at least snowing I’d do something with floats.
give me about 3 weeks, I will be able to send you all the snow you want.

mayan

Legendary member
Forgot to mention that the mountain is the border with Syria so it’s probably also a closed down military area so not sure they’ll even let me fly there.

Wildthing

Legendary member

I will trade you my winters for your (rainy) winters :D You would probably love living in 20 to 40 below (Celsius) weather :D :D

mayan

Legendary member
I will trade you my winters for your (rainy) winters :D You would probably love living in 20 to 40 below (Celsius) weather :D:D
Less, I get cold in the rainy winter we have, -20-40 i'd freeze :).

Right now I don't think that is a good place to wonder into.
In general not a place we can go to even if we wanted really bad :p, which I don't.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well my Amazon no name esc was disappointing, basically a waste of solder putting connectors on. Plugged it in and it initialized and soon as I touched the throttle a big spark from the esc and puff of smoke. The only thing nice is that through Amazon for returns it takes 2 minutes and they send you a shipping label (email or online) , package it up and take it to the post office and as soon as the post office scans the barcode your money is back in your account.

My next smallest esc is a 35A, poor little plane is going to get heavy , now I have to go see what plane I can rob it from.