Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Headbang

Master member
Sorry I went quiet, thread quit notifying me! Just finished what I think is the absolute final version. Now just need a reasonable day to fly it and make sure everything is good before I do the final official publish of v1.0 plans. Only difference will be a few optional reference marks and notes.
20191017_190408.jpg 20191017_190418.jpg

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
Somewhat maiden flight.
3 things wrong :)
Tail Heavy
Not enough prop
Lateral balance way out.

Mods on the way :D

From what I saw it looked about right! Of course did not see much! Cg should be ahead of the servos a quarter inch for maiden. I am flying with cg about an inch back from there tho.
Battery on one side of the plane, esc, and reciever on the other, lateral balance gets pretty close. 6x3 prop works well on both 2205 2300 and the 1806.
I will be settling on final cg with the latest one I built, final cg will be a safe location. One can move it back from there based on preference. This is build 5. I had to build the latest one because the black and white paint on build 4 is impossible, I lose orientation constantly.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Lateral balance way better now , hope the battery doesn't fall out :D . Also I have a little more nose weight now just to get a better prop on it.

View attachment 145718 View attachment 145719
Do you know, it never occurred to me that I could put a bend in a pushrod to take the strain off the servo? On the one hand, I feel like an idiot. On the other hand, we learn something new every day. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Do you know, it never occurred to me that I could put a bend in a pushrod to take the strain off the servo? On the one hand, I feel like an idiot. On the other hand, we learn something new every day. :)
The straighter it is the better , less chance of flex but in this case how close the servo is to the control horn and to allow for a decent mechanical angle at deflection that angle puts less strain on the servo arm. The longer the control rod is and if there has to be bends in it just run a thicker rod.

Wildthing

Legendary member
From what I saw it looked about right! Of course did not see much! Cg should be ahead of the servos a quarter inch for maiden. I am flying with cg about an inch back from there tho.
Battery on one side of the plane, esc, and reciever on the other, lateral balance gets pretty close. 6x3 prop works well on both 2205 2300 and the 1806.
I will be settling on final cg with the latest one I built, final cg will be a safe location. One can move it back from there based on preference. This is build 5. I had to build the latest one because the black and white paint on build 4 is impossible, I lose orientation constantly.

Sorry about the poor camera angle , my camera is on the tx and I try to adjust the angle it sits in depending which planes I am flying and how close in proximity I will be and once I launch there is no way I can adjust it . Not close in my guess this time :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
Next flight will be better :)

Headbang

Master member
Yep, 1500 gives just the right amount of weight :) . The motor is a Emax CF2822 1400kv (maybe 1200kv)
Heavy powerful setup, I am curious to see how it goes! I have not used anything bigger then a 800mAh 3s in testing. I did add 28g of wieght to simulated a 1000mAh battery, 9g servos, on a 1806 motor. It worked, vertical climb put was pretty much nonexistent tho. The bigger motor should take care of that!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Heavy powerful setup, I am curious to see how it goes! I have not used anything bigger then a 800mAh 3s in testing. I did add 28g of wieght to simulated a 1000mAh battery, 9g servos, on a 1806 motor. It worked, vertical climb put was pretty much nonexistent tho. The bigger motor should take care of that!
Looking forward to my f-pack edge!

Wildthing

Legendary member

This is one of my smallest motors :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well guys, I printed out the Easy AF Edge, and I’m excited to get started. Again, it’ll probably be a couple weeks till my transmitter gets back since only today was I able to get it shipped out. But hey - that doesn’t mean I can’t get the plane built😃. I’ll be working in this along with my viggen, ultra stick, 135% bravo, and pietenpol, so going might be slow... I’m sure y’all understand😉

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well guys, I printed out the Easy AF Edge, and I’m excited to get started. Again, it’ll probably be a couple weeks till my transmitter gets back since only today was I able to get it shipped out. But hey - that doesn’t mean I can’t get the plane built😃. I’ll be working in this along with my viggen, ultra stick, 135% bravo, and pietenpol, so going might be slow... I’m sure y’all understand😉
I'm right with you. The Easy Edge is my priority at the moment. I only get a few minutes here and a few minutes there to work on it. I've finally got the plans stitched together.

Next step is cutting them out, and putting them to foamboard. I AM on the road to seeing that bird fly, though! :love:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm right with you. The Easy Edge is my priority at the moment. I only get a few minutes here and a few minutes there to work on it. I've finally got the plans stitched together.

Next step is cutting them out, and putting them to foamboard. I AM on the road to seeing that bird fly, though! :love:
Nice! I feel the same way!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ok, much better maiden this time and camera for the most part is pointed in the right direction. Roll is definitely there but pitch was sluggish but I contribute that to being now slightly nose heavy with that 1500 battery up front but my lateral balance is 100% better centering the battery in the fuse. I was going to throw the 1300 battery in next but I flew over my head and of course zagged when I should have zigged so a few repairs required to the nose.

Headbang

Master member
Ok, much better maiden this time and camera for the most part is pointed in the right direction. Roll is definitely there but pitch was sluggish but I contribute that to being now slightly nose heavy with that 1500 battery up front but my lateral balance is 100% better centering the battery in the fuse. I was going to throw the 1300 battery in next but I flew over my head and of course zagged when I should have zigged so a few repairs required to the nose.

Elevator needs to be at least 45deg both up and down, I cut the openings to allow for 60deg in each direction. You may need to set travel to 150% to achieve this, I used long servo arms and set travel to max.