Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Bricks

Master member
This was posted awhile ago by Micheal Wargo found it interesting on how he described flying 3D to flying a normal plane.

Originally Posted by mtwargo

I have an important point to make regarding transitioning from sport flying to 3d.

When flying jets, warbirds and the like, or just sport flying, the plane is going and we are kind of guiding and helping it. nudging the wings and controlling its speed is really the norm. very reactive.

It is a very unique transition you have to make. When I fly 3d, I can feel the weigh of the plane like I am supporting it in my hands. (I hope this makes sense) It almost feels like I can feel the weight in the sticks, and It is like I have it in my hands. A very proactive connected feeling. When a plane is near stopped in a harrier, bump and release the throttle and catch it with throttle and feel the bouncy of the plane. It is a very different way to fly. Conversely, sport flyers get anxious landing. I am not necessarily guiding a plane to the runway, I am just holding it and setting it down. YOu have seen me land a lot of crazy ways. Never think about plane safety because I feel like I am setting it down on the ground. It is a whole different perspective.

Does this make sense to anyone but me?

OliverW

Legendary member
This was posted awhile ago by Micheal Wargo found it interesting on how he described flying 3D to flying a normal plane.

I have an important point to make regarding transitioning from sport flying to 3d.

When flying jets, warbirds and the like, or just sport flying, the plane is going and we are kind of guiding and helping it. nudging the wings and controlling its speed is really the norm. very reactive.

It is a very unique transition you have to make. When I fly 3d, I can feel the weigh of the plane like I am supporting it in my hands. (I hope this makes sense) It almost feels like I can feel the weight in the sticks, and It is like I have it in my hands. A very proactive connected feeling. When a plane is near stopped in a harrier, bump and release the throttle and catch it with throttle and feel the bouncy of the plane. It is a very different way to fly. Conversely, sport flyers get anxious landing. I am not necessarily guiding a plane to the runway, I am just holding it and setting it down. YOu have seen me land a lot of crazy ways. Never think about plane safety because I feel like I am setting it down on the ground. It is a whole different perspective.

It makes sense to me! Probably cause I fly 3D as well lol. I've been enjoying XA a lot lately though

mayan

Legendary member
No such thing as to much power man
You are right but on such a tiny airframe to much power will cause to much torque for the plane to handle.

first, I'm too good looking, then I got way too much money, now my motor is too big, this is a hard crowd to please.
lol 😂.

Makes sense to me even though I still fall back to running it to a landing as if it was a normal plane when in fact it isn’t anything like a normal plane. It can fly like one and land like one but it can do things different too and that’s what makes these planes so amazing. Just my thoughts.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I took this one out yesterday but for some reason, my ESC overheated and the motor shut down. I brought it home and looked it all over good. I don't see anything rubbing. And this is the Stock Fpack motor and ESC from flitetest. I just used it on the 3d I flew 2 days ago. Do motors not like to work as pushers?

first attempt at flying a 3d. Took mine out yesterday, First flight I found out the batteries in my transmitter died so had to land it. Second flight I didn't pull up soon enough, and third Just as I launched it I spotted one of the servo wires hanging down. That one crashed it and it broke right at the wing. but nothing a simple pop cycle stick would fix and now it's ready to go again.

Great flying. (y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Great quote! I’ve been having a ton of fun doing harrier landings with my edge lately! :D

mayan

Legendary member
I added one inch to both top and bottom of the fuse. That gave me more room for the arrows and made the tail a lot stronger. This one flew great till I tried to do tricks with it. simple repair tho.

Awesome video. Is that a nutball at the end of the video?