Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Headbang

Master member
Sorry I kind of dropped the ball on this, life happened, then covid.

Learned recently the cg is marked too far back for novice pilots, when I move a 3s 850mah battery forward an inch, less accomplished pilots have better success with it.

mayan

Legendary member
Bringing this thread back to life after a long time. I just got a bunch of guys on a WhatsApp group I am on to build this model so I am going to build it myself once again. this time with more 3D flying experience.

MaxTheFliteFreak

Bringing this thread back to life after a long time. I just got a bunch of guys on a WhatsApp group I am on to build this model so I am going to build it myself once again. this time with more 3D flying experience.
I am also in this Whatsapp group. Would be cool to get a lot of the guys in it to all build this or a different airframe and we can possibly make a fleet of them. Formation flying would be so cool.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Here is how my new build came out along side some pictures from the build process. A video of the entire process including the maiden will hopefully be posted in the next few days.

IMG_2418.jpeg
E4361978-42F3-4EB5-B031-7764CC0E9394.jpeg
IMG_2427.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg
IMG_2437.jpeg
44B3CE7F-CD40-47F0-ADE1-E3E6327FB342.jpeg
IMG_2448.jpeg
IMG_2451.jpeg
IMG_2450.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpeg

FlyBreakFixFly

Bumpity bump!

Thank you Headbang for the design! It's indeed a great flyer and a fun plane. Mine went together quickly despite a few mistakes that ultimately didn't affect anything.

Mine is using a 2206 1500 kV motor, 8x4.5 slow fly prop, 20 amp ESC, 500 mAh 3S batteries and mini servos. So far it has plenty of authority and lots of vertical. The power system was originally meant for a Value Hobby profile plane that turned into a wall decoration.

RossFPV

Bumpity bump!

Thank you Headbang for the design! It's indeed a great flyer and a fun plane. Mine went together quickly despite a few mistakes that ultimately didn't affect anything.

Mine is using a 2206 1500 kV motor, 8x4.5 slow fly prop, 20 amp ESC, 500 mAh 3S batteries and mini servos. So far it has plenty of authority and lots of vertical. The power system was originally meant for a Value Hobby profile plane that turned into a wall decoration.
Well this is a coincidence, i printed the fuselage plans yesterday!

Slatroni

20230625_185710.jpg

Check out the background. That's a 60% TF 3D. It used a A flight pack and ripped! Totaled it out on the first flight.

FlyBreakFixFly

I already ran two batteries through mine. Somehow I didn't catch that the rudder needed reversing, so attempting knife edges got interesting until I noticed that! I also learned how best to hand launch it. The nose is a bit floppy already. Skewer time...

This plane is perfect for the space I have next door. It's not too fast and is super responsive. When it gets too floppy I'm building another.

FlyBreakFixFly

I'm making another with a tweak. The paper on the foamboard is ripping easily. This time around I'm stripping the paper off the fuselage and laminating it with heat-shrunk cellophane. It'll be cut away from the areas where the electronics attach. That will stiffen up the fuse while having some give when I crash.

FlyBreakFixFly

Bumpity bump.

I made another but to exact plans and lighter weight than my first one. Namely omitting some paper and using much less hot glue. Turned out I needed to dial the rates way down and add a ton of expo. My electronics were for an EPP flattie, not this. So with the new lower rates this plane went from a very curious squirrel on speed to a responsive and controllable plane. It even got better flight time since I didn't feel the need to run lots of throttle to get out of trouble. Half throttle was plenty with full giving unlimited vertical. Looking forward to learning more!

FlyBreakFixFly

Still using this plane to improve my 3D skills. I had a few good flights on it yesterday getting used to it in a light breeze. 3S is way too much power, just as a 3D plane should have. Can't say enough good about this design!