Throw gauge vs deflection amount

Spagoose

Up until now I have been using the throw gauge included in the plans to set up my control surfaces. I noticed in some plans e.x. the tiny trainer, it says 16˚ deflection. I have measured the throw gauge and the low side was roughly 21˚, and the high side 26˚, so which are you supposed to use, the gauge or the written deflection?

Or am I misunderstanding what deflection means in this case?

Bricks

Master member
Use a protractor and make your own, throws do not have to be exact they are a good starting point.

HVB79

Basically what you have is two low recommendations and both will work. I would guess that the plan text was never updated after kit was updated.

Start with the lowest recommendation for the first flight then adjust higher if you want more control movement. Or if you have a three position switch and want to get fancy you could setup all three rates.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...the tiny trainer, it says 16˚ deflection. I have measured the throw gauge and the low side was roughly 21˚...
Could the difference between the stated throw, 16 degrees and the measured throw gauge, 21 degrees, have something to do with the geometry of the wing. That is the throw gauge is measuring from the top surface of the wing.