Thrust angle on Sea Otter

chronix

It seems incredibly high, eyeballed at like 15°, before I throw this joker in the air I wanted to know if this is the norm.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
as long as you built it on the suggested angle, your OK, the higher the motor is above the wing the more the thrust angle needed
double check your work to the plans, if its right...... then chuck it in the air :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
We must have either used different plans or one of us did something wrong as the thrust line on mine is parralell with the wing centre line though it is angles slightly towards the starboard.

Just my bird.

have fun!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I havent built a sea otter but I havent seen others have a complaint about thrust angles or inherent handling issues, so I would assume that following the plans are the best approach

Last edited:

chronix

I'm fairly certain I built it to spec, I'm gonna look real hard at some images. If it crashes oh well I can build another one 😉

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I built mine to spec, and it seems like it will never get off the ground. Don't touch the elevator until you reach speed, then it will leap in the air. Also, be careful to give down input after it is a few feet off the air because you may end up stalling. The Sea otter is a great plane for flying low to the ground and doing tight coordinated turns. I would also add stall fences to the wing.

chronix

Just for reference this is the thrust angle I've got. Excuse the shoddy worksmanship plz!
IMG_20200520_213548.jpg

chronix

You should probably put a prop that is reversed so tge thrust angle and torque work against each other.
So how would someone who doesn't know about such things get the prop I need? I just assumed it was pushing air so hey it works lol

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So how would someone who doesn't know about such things get the prop I need? I just assumed it was pushing air so hey it works lol
After the numbers (for exampler 8x4.5) it will have a letter r if it is reversed. They're on amazon too, just search for 8x4.5 reverse prop

Crow929

Couple things I'm noticing.
Looks like your nacelle is up-side-down? There shouldn't be an opening visible on the top, that's where the support should go through. This would make your thrust angle opposite of what it should be.
Secondly, I think your prop is on backwards. Remember whether pushing or pulling, the propeller should be in the same orientation as the airplane is facing. The easy tip is the writing on the prop should always be facing the front of the plane.
Good luck!