Thrust Vectoring Autonomous LEM (Lunar Excursion Module) Build

VAALLEON

New Project. Decided to use my thrust Vectoring experience to build this awesome machine in honor of 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

Using foamboard and a laser cutter to build the body. I haven't completed the 2D plans yet as this is a complex structure to create with fomboard. Trying to stick to the original design as much as I can but need to do some tweaks due to the requirements of the EDF and the thrust vectoring system to work at peak performance.

Unit will be autonomous and will possibly be released from a rocket for an autonomous landing at the home coordinates (Will think about that later, as the unit needs to fly first).

Below are some pics of the design and a footage from the cutting of the first body part. Will try to post as frequently as I can.
Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Z..._as=subscriber
FB Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1244...?ref=bookmarks

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_141406296.jpg
    IMG_20190527_141406296.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190527_141409875.jpg
    IMG_20190527_141409875.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Moon_LEM_Apollo_1680x1050.jpg
    Moon_LEM_Apollo_1680x1050.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 0

VAALLEON

First stage of the build is complete. Now I have a base structure to build around.

Attachments

• IMG_20190528_184056802.jpg
    IMG_20190528_184056802.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190528_184106867.jpg
    IMG_20190528_184106867.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thats a fancy lil nozzle setup. I like how its a ball n socket nozzle and not just flat blade deflectors.

That could have a nice impact on the edf crowd doing the sukkoi and F series fighter jets now.

VAALLEON

Thats a fancy lil nozzle setup. I like how its a ball n socket nozzle and not just flat blade deflectors.

That could have a nice impact on the edf crowd doing the sukkoi and F series fighter jets now.
Thx! Yeah, nice setup but hard to get it to fly:)

Indoors tuning test. Not an easy one. So far tried all my tricks but couldn’t fully overcome the wobble. Not a good sign but will keep on trying some different setups.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thx! Yeah, nice setup but hard to get it to fly:)

Indoors tuning test. Not an easy one. So far tried all my tricks but couldn’t fully overcome the wobble. Not a good sign but will keep on trying some different setups.

Amazing.

VAALLEON

I found the problem. I was happy that the nozzle was letting me take care of pitch and roll with only two servos... Not any more. it took me tens of tests and some super deep thinking to figure it out. The slight flexing of the nozzle in the Y axis when X servo was pulling and vice versa was causing the trouble. I added one more servo to pitch to counter the existing servo and the wobble almost diminished. Of course, you never until you do the field test and it will still need some fine tuning. Before going forward I need to get the landing gear in so I don't damage the servos outdoors.
Attached a pic of the landing gear build.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_203318696.jpg
    IMG_20190628_203318696.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
I found the problem. I was happy that the nozzle was letting me take care of pitch and roll with only two servos... Not any more. it took me tens of tests and some super deep thinking to figure it out. The slight flexing of the nozzle in the Y axis when X servo was pulling and vice versa was causing the trouble. I added one more servo to pitch to counter the existing servo and the wobble almost diminished. Of course, you never until you do the field test and it will still need some fine tuning. Before going forward I need to get the landing gear in so I don't damage the servos outdoors.
Attached a pic of the landing gear build.

Thanks!

Fabulous, can't wait to see the field test

Vimana89

Legendary member
dis aint gona werk cuz we dint land on de mon. it imposibal
Why does this guy always pop up out of nowhere after never posting to post crap like this. You are an insult to anyone that has high functioning autism, because clearly whatever you have, you are far from high functioning, if functioning at all. You are obviously trolling and not serious,probably not disabled in any way except for morally and intellectually(by choice), but this is not a conspiracy forum. I'll be the first to say we are not being told the truth about a lot of stuff, but that is not a discussion for here...and the "we never landed on the moon" thing is disinfo. Somebody ban this turdclown please?

Last edited:

VAALLEON

Why does this guy always pop up out of nowhere after never posting to post crap like this. You are an insult to anyone that has high functioning autism, because clearly whatever you have, you are far from high functioning, if functioning at all. You are obviously trolling and not serious,probably not disabled in any way except for morally and intellectually(by choice), but this is not a conspiracy forum. I'll be the first to say we are not being told the truth about a lot of stuff, but that is not a discussion for here...and the "we never landed on the moon" thing is disinfo. Somebody ban this turdclown please?

Thanks!

VAALLEON

Outdoors maiden… The first very short flight (or long crash landing) is before the fine tuning. The unit was uncontrollable because of the T. bowl effect. I did some further tuning after this flight, re-charged and hit the park. The wind picked up before the second flight but still wanted to give it a shot. The second flight was a success. The unit was very controllable despite the wind. Will need some further tuning but so far so good. My only concern is how the electronics will hold in a longer flight. This is one of the heaviest 64mm units that I have built, and the nozzle is equipped with 2 variable and 4 fixed vanes, packing the airway with lots of hardware. So, I will do a flight time test and see if the ESC, motor and the batteries will handle a full flight which will probably take 5 minutes.
The rest of the additions will need to be extremely light. I am not the best artist in town but will do my best to give it a genuine look:)
Thanks

Vimana89

Legendary member
I I've got your back, bro, lol(y).I'd like to see this thread stay positive and on topic. I respect this forum and projects like yours, and there is no place for crap like this here. This guy is fake AF, I've seen his posts before. I reported this "exhaust nozzle".

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Outdoors maiden… The first very short flight (or long crash landing) is before the fine tuning. The unit was uncontrollable because of the T. bowl effect. I did some further tuning after this flight, re-charged and hit the park. The wind picked up before the second flight but still wanted to give it a shot. The second flight was a success. The unit was very controllable despite the wind. Will need some further tuning but so far so good. My only concern is how the electronics will hold in a longer flight. This is one of the heaviest 64mm units that I have built, and the nozzle is equipped with 2 variable and 4 fixed vanes, packing the airway with lots of hardware. So, I will do a flight time test and see if the ESC, motor and the batteries will handle a full flight which will probably take 5 minutes.
The rest of the additions will need to be extremely light. I am not the best artist in town but will do my best to give it a genuine look:)
Thanks
Man, that is simply beautiful(y)(y)(y). I love unique stuff, space exploration, thrust vectoring, weird prototypes, you name it...and this is all of the above. In the wake of the anniversary of the lunar landing, this is gold.

VAALLEON

I I've got your back, bro, lol(y).I'd like to see this thread stay positive and on topic. I respect this forum and projects like yours, and there is no place for crap like this here. This guy is fake AF, I've seen his posts before. I reported this "exhaust nozzle".

Thanks bro! Awesome:) lol

VAALLEON

Man, that is simply beautiful(y)(y)(y). I love unique stuff, space exploration, thrust vectoring, weird prototypes, you name it...and this is all of the above. In the wake of the anniversary of the lunar landing, this is gold.

Thank you sir! Now I need to test to see if the electronics and hardware will hold for a full flight. Then the final touches for the looks:)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

VAALLEON

Longer hover test. After 2:30 minutes I touched the motor to see if it overheated and it literally gave me a 3rd degree burn as expected. It was about to give up. I will need to bump up the power setup with a new motor and ESC, possible new batteries. It will probably take about a week. Hoping to get it ready for the 50th anniversary. The tuning seems to be OK for now, didn’t have to touch that again.