Thumbs down, flight controllers, and club memberships

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
For someone who wants to be able to post criticisms, you seem awfully put out by a difference of opinion.
Get your grammar correct:
Criticism - the expression of disapproval of someone or something on the basis of perceived faults or mistakes.
"he received a lot of criticism"
Opinion - a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
"that, in my opinion, is right"
All I wanted to do was to voice an opinion, not criticise the guy. Hopefully now sir you know the difference, between opinion and criticism. On the other hand your reply to me was critical regards your disapproved of the thumbs down emoji I suggested. I just replied to your criticism not your opinion. As I thought you over reacted and made something out of nothing.
If I had of offended the guy in any way, I would have happily appologised. However, there was no offence in my comments and non taken as far as I am aware, as no report was made.
However, I am now going to make a complaint and report FlyingWithRyan for making an offensive comment regarding my age referring to me as a fossil. If he doesn't get a temporary suspension for that comment, I will gladly leave.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Jeebus chrimney dude you’re making a total arse out of yourself here. I sure hope the admins suspend your account because this type of down talking is not welcome on OUR forums. Go over to RCGropus with all the other fossils that spew this BS. 😡
Come on, FlyingWithRyan, while I don't agree with Ian's approach to learning to fly he has been articulate in explaining his opinion. I've re-read his posts. He hasn't "talked down" or belittled anyone, just expressed his opinion and the reasons for it. Let's not "cancel" him because he expresses and defends a position that we don't like or agree with. Ian was on of the first to welcome me back to the hobby and has always offered encouragement. Ease up, this wasn't a personal attack until your post.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Come on, FlyingWithRyan, while I don't agree with Ian's approach to learning to fly he has been articulate in explaining his opinion. I've re-read his posts. He hasn't "talked down" or belittled anyone, just expressed his opinion and the reasons for it. Let's not "cancel" him because he expresses and defends a position that we don't like or agree with. Ian was on of the first to welcome me back to the hobby and has always offered encouragement. Ease up, this wasn't a personal attack until your post.
Now you know thats a load of horse 💩, most certainly there was demeaning and unkind language. If you can’t recognize that “oooookaaaay” gotta remember that this forum is supposed to be for all ages and the stern criticism being dealt is completely unnecessary when you could just simply not weigh in.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
This thread perfectly illustrates what happens at many flying clubs (which even though an AMA member, I still avoid). Instead of being supportive of new flyers, old geezers (with over 50 years in aviation, I can say that) get all uppity and elitist, making the novice feel like not even trying.

Perhaps there are too many wannabes that feel the need to show off their "aerodynamic knowledge". R/C aviation is about fun, so I think everyone should take FlyingMonkey's advice and either try to be helpful to each other, or keep it to yourself. I should think that includes correcting grammar.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
This thread perfectly illustrates what happens at many flying clubs (which even though an AMA member, I still avoid). Instead of being supportive of new flyers, old geezers (with over 50 years in aviation, I can say that) get all uppity and elitist, making the novice feel like not even trying.

Perhaps there are too many wannabes that feel the need to show off their "aerodynamic knowledge". R/C aviation is about fun, so I think everyone should take FlyingMonkey's advice and either try to be helpful to each other, or keep it to yourself. I should think that includes correcting grammar.
I agree, the requirements of clubs to certify you with a buddy box flight is just for clubs, and it seems dude was trying to tell you you needed that for parkflying which is ridiculous. If theres any questions to legalities here please find FAR Part 107, it will lay out most of if not all of your rules to operate an unmanned small aircraft. It might also reference FAR Part 91 as well which both parts are available to read online.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I agree, the requirements of clubs to certify you with a buddy box flight is just for clubs, and it seems dude was trying to tell you you needed that for parkflying which is ridiculous. If theres any questions to legalities here please find FAR Part 107, it will lay out most of if not all of your rules to operate an unmanned small aircraft. It might also reference FAR Part 91 as well which both parts are available to read online.
Yup. With 70+ FAA check rides received, several hundred FAA examiner rides given... I grin at the notion of being "certified" to fly R/C planes.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
70+? How the heck?
ATP, 5 type ratings, CFI/MEI, 41years (so far) of commercial aviation, 38 years part 121 which had check rides every 6-9 months, plus I was an airline check airman and FAA examiner for 14 years, so I had "check rides" giving other people check rides. LOL.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Sheesh, so I get to look forward to 70+ check rides then huh? 😨
Hope you get more (more type ratings, more upgrades)! Seriously, if you have in mind an airline career, it will be about that number.

Many US airlines have implemented Advanced Qualification Programs (AQP) which means with supporting data and FAA approval they can drop back to doing recurrent training (which is training and a check ride) every 9 or 12 months instead of the mandatory 6 month intervals. The airline I work for implemented AQP in the early 2000s, and we went to 12 month intervals at first, and then back to 9 month intervals. So even with 12 month AQP intervals, in a 40 year career, an airline pilot can expect at least 40 airline check rides. Add at least 5-10 for ratings to get to an airline job and afterward 10 more for switching seats (upgrading to captain, changing aircraft, etc). Then for captains, there are line checks (check rides in the aircraft during revenue flight) every 24 months.

All that, and I still don't like check rides - but I think maybe that made me a better examiner too because I know that no one likes check rides.

Last edited:

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Hope you get more (more type ratings, more upgrades)! Seriously, if you have in mind an airline career, it will be about that number.

Many US airlines have implemented Advanced Qualification Programs (AQP) which means with supporting data and FAA approval they can drop back to doing recurrent training (which is training and a check ride) every 9 or 12 months instead of the mandatory 6 month intervals. The airline I work for implemented AQP in the early 2000s, and we went to 12 month intervals at first, and then back to 9 month intervals. So even with 12 month AQP intervals, in a 40 year career, an airline pilot can expect at least 40 airline check rides. Add at least 5-10 for ratings to get to an airline job and afterward 10 more for switching seats (upgrading to captain, changing aircraft, etc). Then for captains, there are line checks (check rides in the aircraft during revenue flight) every 24 months.

All that, and I still don't like check rides - but I think maybe that made me a better examiner too because I know that no one likes check rides.
Say, are you going to flite fest this year? Id like to shake your hand sir, you seem like a cool guy.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Can't disagree with this. Which is why I'm excited to see that Flite Test is moving forward with the FTCA, and I hope they start working towards forming FTCA flying sites.

One of the problems I have with AMA fields is that you get the few bad members that run off the people who show up trying to find a club to join with that poor attitude. The AMA is so scared of offending existing members by calling them out, that they're letting those guys run off many of the future members they need to survive.

I'm hoping that the more welcoming and inclusive attitude of the true FT community can save the hobby by providing flying locations that have members that use what they've learned to help educate new pilots.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
Can't disagree with this. Which is why I'm excited to see that Flite Test is moving forward with the FTCA, and is looking to start working towards forming FTCA flying sites.

One of the problems I have with AMA fields is that you get the few bad members that run off the people who show up trying to find a club to join with that poor attitude. The AMA is so scared of offending existing members by calling them out, that they're letting those guys run off many of the future members they need to survive.

I'm hoping that the more welcoming and inclusive attitude of the true FT community can save the hobby by providing flying locations that have members that use what they've learned to help educate new pilots.
If the FTCA starts acting like another ama, FT will get sued. It happened with sport flyers once before. It ends up being a headache for the ama and costs them lots of money. Most people I've come across at ama fields have been nothing but welcoming. I get there is bad apples but trying to essentially replace the ama just won't end well

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The AMA is just going to have to deal with it. It's not a matter of "replacing" the AMA as much as creating alternatives. When the FAA started the registration program, they ended up with something like 2,000,000 registered pilots. The AMA has less than 200,000 members, and a good portion of that is the free memberships for youth groups like JROTC and Young Eagles. That leaves an awful lot of hobbyists that may want an option other than the AMA.

The new FAA regulations, and the threats of FRIAs means that other CBO's will start popping up to create the remote ID exempt flying sites.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
The key to flying in wind is keep your model up wind, once its travelled any distance down wind you will struggle to to get it back specially with a light model as Mr Sprout pointed out. Steady strong winds are not as much of a problem as you would think, its gusty un-predictable winds that catch you out.
Flying a hobbyzone duet and then Champ in a tiny area in front of my house with 10mph winds has taught me to do that. I would not recommend as the duet has "died a horrible death" @sprzout