Thumbs down, flight controllers, and club memberships

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Yeah, D'OH! I am still flying old low tech analog.... :( One of these days I'll get up to speed on the HD/Digital. Looks like it can be done with BetaFlight. Either use RC passthrough, or run just the video through the FC.
I know you gotta run a FC with gyros and all that jazz and frankly I just wanna see my voltage and run a horizon bar for when Im doing fpv racing. Ill probably just deal with no OSD since FCs are way too much and I wouldnt use it for stabilization ever

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I know you gotta run a FC with gyros and all that jazz and frankly I just wanna see my voltage and run a horizon bar for when Im doing fpv racing. Ill probably just deal with no OSD since FCs are way too much and I wouldnt use it for stabilization ever

no you don't have to use the stabilization on the flight controller. the ones I have will let you set your stuff to 'pass through'

but if you want a horizon bar -> that would need the accelerometer/gyro of the FC to generate (it needs to know its orientation)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I lothe the horizon bars on OSD. Laggy and often incorrect. No, you do not have to stabilize the plane to get the OSD. You don't even have to use the radio or servos with the FC. But you do need an FC for the OSD

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I lothe the horizon bars on OSD. Laggy and often incorrect. No, you do not have to stabilize the plane to get the OSD. You don't even have to use the radio or servos with the FC. But you do need an FC for the OSD
no you don't have to use the stabilization on the flight controller. the ones I have will let you set your stuff to 'pass through'

but if you want a horizon bar -> that would need the accelerometer/gyro of the FC to generate (it needs to know its orientation)
FCs are so darn expensive man think I could just wire up a jumper from the esc input wires to the FC to get voltage and power the rest of the OSD?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
FCs are so darn expensive man think I could just wire up a jumper from the esc input wires to the FC to get voltage and power the rest of the OSD?
depends what you want in your OSD... if you only want battery voltage, then you could probaby get by with something less expensive, but if you want orentation/etc, you need an IMU and a microcontroller to process the info and send it to the OSD (and a voltage regulator for the parts). At that point you have most of the components that make up a FC (microcontroller, IMU, OSD chip, voltage sensor, voltage regulator, various discrete components), only think missing is a current sensor... (and those are fairly cheap). About the only way you could get it 'cheaper' would be if you used a cheaper microcontroller, and designed the thing yourself (and that might not end up cheaper as you would be purchasing parts retail instead of wholesale).

If all you want is voltage, just get a receiver that has a voltage sensor on it and setup telemetry and have your radio read out the voltage for you.