Thumbs Up/Down

Would you like to see thumbs up/down buttons as discussed here?

• Total voters

Gazoo

Poll.JPG

I just want to point out my initial thoughts on this post. I am not trying to offend anyone so please don't take it that way. I truly respect everyone that dedicates their time and knowledge to helping out others who are just starting in the hobby. I have not been a member of this forum for as long as some, so take this for what it is worth...

From the poll:
"Yes, both buttons would be useful and concise. Make it happen".
This option is obviously what you want.

"Yes, but only a thumbs up button. I fear rejection".
This option implies that I do not want the same thing that you want because I am weak and can't take criticism.

"No, I would rather clutter up a thread with my less significant comments".
This option implies that that I am oblivious or something. Like my comments don't matter.

The reason that I have become a part of this forum is because everyone I have encountered so far has been really supportive. I like the posts that reply with "hey, that's pretty neat" or something. Not a big fan of a willy-nilly, generic "like". Or...if I post something that I am kind of proud of and someone dislikes it. I have never been in that situation because this is really the first social media that I have been part of.

Either "helpful" or "not helpful" might be a better description of a post critique. I am still learning and want to help others who are in the same boat as I am. If someone asks a question, I would really like to answer it if I can. If I spread false information, I would love it if someone would correct me with the appropriate answer.

Again...I really love this forum. The people here are THE BEST in my limited experience. I just want to be helpful to someone else by answering questions and posting pictures and videos that can help and inspire others.

Please, don't take this the wrong way. I think that, for the most part, the members on this forum just want to help others. What is the most productive way that this can be accomplished?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
In the calmest of tones I intend this to be understood. I am not stirred up or angry at all. But I am curious what we are hoping to avoid and if we can really avoid it by the means mentioned.

First, our community in this forum is not comprised of mainly dissenters but even if it was, we shouldn't be so relucatant that we want to limit the possibility of dissent. This isn't welcoming abuse but rather opinions whether approving is disapproving.

Second, even if someone wanted to spread hate and discontent, the lack of some sort of dissenting button will not stop them. People disdain people, not thumbs.

Third, I am not locked into only one form or icon for dissent. I just want the ability to express it, or even moreso approval without needing to verbalize a point that has already been well made. Mere words indicating "agree" and "disagree" will get the gist across just as well.

Fourth, there is a need. Have you ever seen a popular thread that had a dozen or more pages of posts many of which only say "+1", "agreed", or something similar? Have you ever wanted to find a certain post but dreaded having to search through numerous pages? Have you ever seen a well articulated post that you really wanted to show support for but held back because you didn't want to divert attention away from the very thing that impressed you?

Lastly, we are right here right now having some disagreement. So what? Is anyone losing sleep over it?

My whole thing with just a button is this. The likes do well for ego and praise and could be used to track valued posts.

However the dislikes and other buttons are kind of not so useful and to some degree even the like button in my mind. As a regular poster here with the things I make and do I want to have feed back on it. That is why I post it in the first place. I want the bad feed back as well as the good and a dislike would not help me as the poster in any way since I have no reason why it was dis liked or disproved. If someone has a better way or sees something wrong a dislike would not solve of prevent the issue that earned the dislike to begin with. Make it so if those buttons are used to augment a reply then I am all for it.. but as just a box to check seems to have no use in a forum meant to help and promote the hobby to me.

Being the new guy here I thought I would pitch in with my thoughts. This has been something that was asked for back in 2011. If it was going to be implemented it would have done already. That being said I was in agreement with Jim until I saw PsyBorgs comment. Having a dislike button means nothing if I don't know why. An example would be my intro post, PsyBorg's comment could be seen as offensive to some. I replied politely to indicate my disagreement and now PsyBorg can see why. He can chose to do as he pleases with my comment, but without the comment to say why I disagreed, it means nothing.

NiCK_NaMe

You should do a "Thumbs up" a "Thumbs down" and the most important... a "Meh" button. Because some of us are so indecisive, that it's discrimination to not let us decide on something we cannot decide on.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Here's a relevant exapmle. Josh has his Bughatti build log going and many of us have responded. While I do want to encourage our forum members, I'd really like to keep from burying good posts with repetitive "good job"s. If one person says something I agree with I could just click and second that opinion. This will keep our threads (like Josh's) from getting so lengthy in posts that add no content.

Am I saying I want to refrain from comments? NO, not at all. But it would be nice to have the option to just agree with someone rather than taking up more thread space. Not because thread space is some commodity but because this forum is growing and digging through pages of posts can be tedious, unnecessarily so if we had that simple button.

How's this for an option. We have buttons for Like, Agree, and Disagree. Would that satisfy the worries? It satisfies what I was after.

Don't think that just because something hasn't happened, it won't. Historically that has not been true and in this case you might be surprised as well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
In the end I am all for what ever benefits the community as a whole. I just don't want a way for the outer interwebz negativity to weasel its way in here like it has on FB and other social media with those fancy buttons.

I would go for likes and agrees to be boxes but to benefit the conversations I think any disagrees MUST come with a statement in a respectful manor so the OP or people involved in the thread can see a different view point that may be better or lead to a median better method or process or what ever the threads topic is. I don't think many if any in here would check disagree for no good reason and the disagreements can be a great teaching / learning tool. I have had that happen on many occasions with CraftyDan correcting me or Wilsonman explaining things more in-depth and I appreciated the responses because they were respectful and informative.

NiCK_NaMe

Sqeak, I don't have a problem with a comment you posted. I was not making a dig at you buddy. Your post was not there when I was typing mine. I was being light hearted about all the thumbing comments. Your cool man, be cool. :cool:

Ltngstrike

Jim, I fully support your idea. I chose the "thumbs up only" option on the poll. If someone doesn't like something simply not giving a thumbs up is tantamount to a "thumbs down" or "meh" vote. I like the idea of being able to express support for an idea or thread without cluttering up the thread with fluff comments.

I hope to see some way to express support and encouragement to an idea/thread without the requirement of typing a comment and taking up thread space.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
In the end I am all for what ever benefits the community as a whole. I just don't want a way for the outer interwebz negativity to weasel its way in here like it has on FB and other social media with those fancy buttons.

I would go for likes and agrees to be boxes...
I don't think many if any in here would check disagree for no good reason and the disagreements can be a great teaching / learning tool. I have had that happen on many occasions with CraftyDan correcting me or Wilsonman explaining things more in-depth and I appreciated the responses because they were respectful and informative.
I agree.:)

... to benefit the conversations I think any disagrees MUST come...
I disagree.:black_eyed:

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
While we're all talking about forum improvements, I have a small request.

I'm a frequent user of the 'sticking out my tongue' :p emoji that is created using a colon and a lower case letter p.

I often miss-type and end up with a colon and an upper case letter P - which I think should be implemented as some sort of enhanced or escalated tongue out raspberry emoji.

face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye_1f61c.png

Yes, it's a small thing, but it would make me smile

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I used for many years in the gaming world what I call my insane smiley face. You just have to tilt your head left to see it as its meant. 8=}}

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You got your wish!!! Good to see they went the non negative button route and left feed back to just comments.

jamboree1

The like button is a good implement, it gives people a chance to respond to a post but don't really have something to say. But the ummm "trophy's" thing.. ahhh well, I guess some people like a participation award.